Real Salt Lake Drops 5-0 Result at D.C. United
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Real Salt Lake (1-1-1, 4 points) fell to D.C. United 5-0 at Audi Field on Saturday night, suffering its first loss of the 2019 MLS regular season.
Through the opening 30 minutes of the match, RSL saw several chances to get on the scoresheet but weren't able to put the ball in the back of the net. In the 34th minute the match changed when VAR judged a foul inside the RSL penalty area. United forward Wayne Rooney stepped up to the spot and converted the shot before adding his second goal of the match in the 41st minute. In second half stoppage time, RSL went down to 10 men when FW Jefferson Savarino was shown a red card.
The second 45 minutes didn't fall in RSL's favor as Rooney earned his hattrick to triple the lead. Things got worse for RSL as DF Marcelo Silva was shown a second yellow card and a subsequent red card in the 67th minute. From there, the hosts notched two more goals through Lucas Rodriguez and Ulises Segura to solidify the 5-0 scoreline.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will remain on the road and will travel to Banc of California Stadium to face LAFC on Saturday, March 23. Kickoff from Los Angeles is set for 8:30 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
DC: Wayne Rooney (PK), 34th minute: After United midfielder Paul Arriola was brought down inside the area, Rooney stepped up to the spot and sent Nick Rimando the wrong way for the 1-0 lead.
DC: Wayne Rooney (Leonardo Jara), 41st minute: A giveaway at the back from RSL gifted Jara space to find Rooney at the top of the area. Rooney took a touch before calmly clipping the ball over Rimando for the two-goal lead.
DC: Wayne Rooney (Junior Moreno, Luciano Acosta), 65th minute: A quick counter attack saw United jump at RSL with space in and around the penalty area. Acosta played the ball wide to Moreno who calmly slotted the ball across to Rooney who easily slid home for the hattrick.
DC: Lucas Rodriguez (Wayne Rooney), 76th minute: A low, whipped corner kick from Wayne Rooney towards the top of the penalty area was met by a thundering volley from Rodriguez who curled the volley into the far side netting.
DC: Ulises Segura (Junior Moreno), 80th minute: After another giveaway at the back from RSL, United broke into the penalty area as Moreno found the run of Segura. Segura then clipped the ball up and over Rimando to solidfy the scoreline.
- Prior to the match, D.C. United honored Nick Rimando and his final season in Major League Soccer with a framed jersey crediting his service for the club from 2002-2006. Rimando and RSL Head Coach Mike Petke played and won MLS Cup together while playing for D.C. United in 2004.
- DF Justen Glad missed his third consecutive match after breaking his toe in training on February 28. FW Joao Plata was out of action for the second consecutive week with an ankle injury.
- Real Salt Lake FW Corey Baird (U.S.), FW Sam Johnson (Liberia) and MF Albert Rusnák (Slovakia) will join their respective national teams following the match on Saturday. They are all slated to miss RSL's road match against LAFC on March 23 and return prior to the home match against FC Dallas on March 30.
Match: Real Salt Lake at D.C. United
Date: March 16, 2019
Venue: Audi Field; Washington D.C.
Weather: Cloudy and 40 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 0 0 0
D.C. United 2 3 5
DC: Wayne Rooney (PK) 34'
DC: Wayne Rooney (Leonardo Jara) 41'
DC: Wayne Rooney (Junior Moreno, Luciano Acosta) 65'
DC: Lucas Rodriguez (Wayne Rooney) 76'
DC: Ulises Segura (Junior Moreno) 80'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Nick Rimando; Brooks Lennon, Marcelo Silva, Nedum Onuoha, Aaron Herrera; Kyle Beckerman (Nick Besler, 73'), Everton Luiz (Sam Johnson, 63'); Jefferson Savarino, Damir Kreilach (Sebastian Saucedo, 63'), Albert Rusnák; Corey Baird
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Donny Toia, Justin Portillo, Pablo Ruiz
D.C. United: (4-3-3): Bill Hamid; Leonardo Jara, Frederic Brillant, Steven Birnbaum, Joseph Mora; Russell Canoouse (Chris Durkin, 75'), Junior Moreno, Paul Arriola (Ulises Segura, 69'), Luciano Acosta, Lucas Rodriguez (Zoltan Stieber, 79'); Wayne Rooney
Subs not used: Chris Seitz, Jalen Robinson, Quincy Amarikwa, Chris McCann
Stats Summary: DC / RSL
Shots: 22 / 4
Shots on Goal: 7 / 2
Saves: 2 / 2
Corner Kicks: 4 / 8
Fouls: 11 / 13
Offside: 0 / 0
RSL - Marcelo Silva (caution) 32'
DC - Russell Canouse (caution) 37'
RSL - Jefferson Savarino (ejection) 45'+3
DC - Junior Moreno (caution) 57'
RSL - Marcelo Silva (second caution/ejection) 67'
RSL - Sebastian Saucedo (caution) 70'
DC - Lucas Rodriguez (caution) 71'
RSL - Corey Baird (caution) 78'
Referee: Dave Gantar
Assistant Referees: Jeff Hosking, Eduardo Mariscal
4th Official: Kevin Broadley
VAR: Silviu Petrescu
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2019
- Atlanta United Draws 1-1 against Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Orange and Blue record first-ever MLS win in home opener - FC Cincinnati
- Revolution Fall to Toronto FC, 3-2 - New England Revolution
- Timbers Fall to FC Cincinnati on the Road - Portland Timbers
- Notes & Quotes: New York City FC 2 - 2 Los Angeles FC - New York City FC
- LAFC Draws NYCFC 2-2 in First Road Match of the Season - Los Angeles FC
- Goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez Called to U.S. Men's National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Five Houston Dynamo Players Called up for International Duty - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Fall to Galaxy 3-2 - Minnesota United FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Minnesota United FC 2 - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Beat Real Salt Lake 5-0 at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Real Salt Lake Drops 5-0 Result at D.C. United - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- This Week at RSL
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Portland Timbers in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Real Salt Lake Tops Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 on Decision Day
- Real Salt Lake Visits Vancouver Whitecaps FC in Final Match of 2019 Regular Season
- Real Salt Lake Quintet Invited to U.S. U-23 National Team Camp