Timbers Fall 2-1 to FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium
FRISCO, Texas - Continuing their extended road trip to start the 2019 season, the Portland Timbers fell to FC Dallas 2-1 at Toyota Stadium on Saturday evening. Cristhian Paredes tallied his first goal of the season for the Timbers in the match.
FC Dallas scored the first goal of the match in the ninth minute when Jesús Ferreira collected a loose ball at the top of the box before advancing and finishing with a right-footed shot from the center of the box.
In the 27th minute Carlos Gruezo crossed a diagonal ball to Michael Barrios, who delivered a shot from close range, but Timbers goalkeeper Jeff Attinella was well-positioned to make the stop.
The Timbers came close to leveling the match in the 32nd minute when Andrés Flores fired a left-footed shot from the left side of the field, but his shot was saved by FC Dallas goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez in the bottom left corner.
Approaching halftime, Barrios made a run down the left side of the field, dribbled into the box and fired a right-footed shot. Reacting quickly, Attinella parried the ball away in the 44th minute.
In the 58th minute, FC Dallas was awarded a penalty kick after the Timbers committed a foul in the box. Reto Ziegler stepped to the spot and converted to give Dallas a 2-0 lead.
Portland pulled within a goal at 2-1 in the 67th minute after Diego Chara played a long pass from the center circle to Sebastián Blanco, who delivered a precise cross from the right side of the box to Paredes for the diving header from close range and his first goal of the season.
The Timbers, who finished with an 11-5 edge in total shots and 5-2 edge in shots on target in the second half, looked to have a chance to tie the match deep in second-half stoppage time when Matt Hollingshead committed a clear handball in the box on a header by Larrys Mabiala. Video review was used on the hand ball play, but Portland was not awarded a penalty.
Continuing to push for the equalizer, Dairon Asprilla found space behind the FC Dallas backline and Diego Valeri slotted a ball into space for Asprilla, who fired a shot from close range at the right post, forcing a kick save by Gonzalez in stoppage time.
Goalkeeper Jeff Attinella played his 50th MLS (regular season and playoffs) match for Portland. Attinella became the fourth goalkeeper to hit 50 MLS games played for the Timbers.
Diego Chara recorded his 18th career assist for Portland. Chara now holds sole possession of ninth place on the club's all-era assists list.
Sebastián Blanco delivered his 20th assist as a Timbers player. Blanco is the eighth Timbers player across all eras of the club to reach 20 assists and third in the MLS era, joining Diego Valeri and Darlington Nagbe.
It was the first assist of the season for both Blanco and Chara.
Cristhian Paredes scored the second goal of his Timbers career. He is the fourth different player to score a goal for Portland this season.
Next up, the Timbers will travel to MAPFRE Stadium to face Columbus Crew SC on Saturday, April 20. Beginning at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match will feature a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (0-5-1, 1pt) vs. FC Dallas (4-2-1, 13pts)
April 13, 2019 - Toyota Stadium (Frisco, Texas)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 0 1 1
FC Dallas 1 1 2
DAL: Ferreira, 9
DAL: Ziegler (Penalty kick), 60
POR: Paredes (Blanco, Chara), 67
POR: Chara (caution), 51
DAL: Pomykal (caution), 65
POR: GK Attinella, D Moreira, D Mabiala, D Tuiloma, D Cascante (Asprilla, 70), D Valentin, M Flores (Conechny, 87), M Chara ©, M Paredes (Valeri, 70), F Ebobisse, F Blanco
Substitutes Not Used: GK Clark, D Dielna, D Villafaña, M Guzmán
TOTAL SHOTS: 13 (Three players tied, 2); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Six players tied, 1); FOULS: 20 (Moreira, 5); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: 4
DAL: GK Gonzalez, D Cannon, D Hedges, D Ziegler ©, M Hollingshead, M Gruezo, M Cerrillo (Hayes, 78), M Barrios, M Pomykal, M Aránguiz (Mosquera, 72), F Ferreira (Bressan, 87)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Maurer, D Pedroso, M Roberts, F Ondrasek
TOTAL SHOTS: 13 (Ferreira, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Barrios, 3); FOULS: 18 (Gruezo, 4); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 5; SAVES: 5
Referee: Marcos DeOliveira
Assistant Referees: Jeffrey Greeson, Eduardo Mariscal
4th Official: Victor Rivas
VAR: Chico Grajeda
Weather: Cloudy, 51 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 13, 2019
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Philadelphia Union 0 - Saturday, April 13, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Claims 2-1 Win over Orlando City SC - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Fall 2-1 to FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Earns a 2-1 Win against Portland - FC Dallas
- Orlando City's Late Rally Falls Short at RSL - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall to Atlanta United FC, 2-0 - New England Revolution
- Barco Brace Carries Atlanta United Past New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Notes & Quotes: Minnesota United FC 3 - 3 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Captures Point in First Game at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Comes from Behind to Secure 3-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Dynamo Stay Unbeaten with 2-1 Win over San Jose - Houston Dynamo
- Yueill nets first MLS career goal in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo vs. San Jose Earthquakes Match Scheduled to Resume at 4:22 p.m. - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Shuts out Columbus 1-0 in Home Opener - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo vs. San Jose Earthquakes Match Halted at Halftime Due to Inclement Weather - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City SC Loans Cam Lindley to Memphis 901 FC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Faces the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo this Afternoon - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Draws Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-1, Extends Unbeaten Run to Three Games - Chicago Fire
- 'Caps settle for draw as Fire equalize on late penalty kick off VAR ruling - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Flores, Loria, Paredes Called up for International Matches
- Timbers Select Two Players in Final Two Rounds of 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Timbers to Offer Free Axe Portrait Photo Shoot to Public Starting January 25 at Providence Park
- Timbers Select Midfielder Aaron Molloy in First Round of 2020 MLS SuperDraft
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder Yimmi Chara as Designated Player