Barco Brace Carries Atlanta United Past New England Revolution
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - Behind a brace from Ezequiel Barco, Atlanta United defeated New England Revolution 2-0 Saturday night at Gillette Stadium in front of 15,016 fans. Barco replaced an injured Eric Remedi in the 15th minute and became just the second player in club history to register a brace after coming on as a substitute, joining Kevin Kratz. The Atlanta defense allowed just one shot on target for the second time this season, while Brad Guzan picked up his first clean sheet.
With multiple chances in the first 30 minutes, Atlanta finally broke through in the 29th minute from Barco's first of the night. After taking a pass from Josef Martinez along the left wing, Tito Villalba raced toward the end line and centered a ball into the box for Barco, who one-touched the ball into the back of the net.
Atlanta then doubled its lead just four minutes after halftime, as Barco curled a ball into the upper right corner after an attack had appeared to fizzle out. Villalba again got to the end line and centered a ball into the box that went untouched toward the edge of the 18-yard box. Barco corralled it and took a few steps before unleashing his shot in the upper corner.
Atlanta United (1-2-2, 5 points) returns to action at home at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Saturday, April 20 against FC Dallas (4:00 p.m., ESPN, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Atlanta United 2, New England Revolution 0
Shots: 19-7 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 8-1 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 5-3 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 17-14 New England
Clearances: 21-8 Atlanta
Offside: 4-1 New England
Possession: 53-47 New England
Passing Accuracy: 74-71 New England
ATL - Ezequiel Barco (Tito Villalba) 29' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Ezequiel Barco (Tito Villalba) 49' [HIGHLIGHT]
NER - Cristian Penilla (yellow) 53'
NER - Jalil Anibaba (yellow) 53'
ATL - Jeff Larentowicz (yellow) 71'
ATL - Miles Robinson (yellow) 83'
NER - Scott Caldwell (yellow) 89'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan; Brek Shea, Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Miles Robinson, Michael Parkhurst ©; Jeff Larentowicz, Darlington Nagbe, Eric Remedi (Ezequiel Barco - 15') (Pity Martinez - 87'); Tito Villalba (Franco Escobar - 78), Josef Martinez, Julian Gressel.
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Florentin Pogba, Dion Pereira, Romario Williams.
NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION STARTING LINEUP
Cody Cropper; Brandon Bye, Jalil Anibaba, Andrew Farrell, Luis Caicedo; DeJuan Jones (Diego Fagundez), Carles Gil, Scott Caldwell ©, Wilfried Zahibo (Teal Bunbury - 56'); Cristian Penilla, Juan Fernando Caicedo.
Substitutes not used: Matt Turner, Justin Rennicks, Nicolas Firmino, Juan Agudelo,
Alex Chilowicz (referee), Kyle Atkins (assistant), Jeremy Kieso (assistant), Matt Franz (fourth), Geoff Gamble (VAR).
Eric Remedi collided with Juan Fernando Caicedo in the first minute of the match. He returned to the field, but was ultimately taken off in the 15th minute for Ezequiel Barco.
Atlanta is now 3-0-2 all-time against New England, including 1-0-2 at New England. In the five matches, Atlanta has a +10-goal differential (12-2).
Jeff Larentowicz appeared in his 395th career game, good for third place all-time in league history among field players. He's 11 behind Chad Marshall for second place.
Jeff Larentowicz started his 374th career game, also good for third place all-time in league history among field players. He's 27 behind Marshall for second.
Ezequiel Barco became the second player in club history to register a brace after coming on as a substitute.
With the win, Atlanta jumped three places into ninth place in the Eastern Conference.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 13, 2019
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Philadelphia Union 0 - Saturday, April 13, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Claims 2-1 Win over Orlando City SC - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Fall 2-1 to FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Earns a 2-1 Win against Portland - FC Dallas
- Orlando City's Late Rally Falls Short at RSL - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall to Atlanta United FC, 2-0 - New England Revolution
- Barco Brace Carries Atlanta United Past New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Notes & Quotes: Minnesota United FC 3 - 3 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Captures Point in First Game at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Comes from Behind to Secure 3-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Dynamo Stay Unbeaten with 2-1 Win over San Jose - Houston Dynamo
- Yueill nets first MLS career goal in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo vs. San Jose Earthquakes Match Scheduled to Resume at 4:22 p.m. - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Shuts out Columbus 1-0 in Home Opener - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo vs. San Jose Earthquakes Match Halted at Halftime Due to Inclement Weather - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City SC Loans Cam Lindley to Memphis 901 FC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Faces the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo this Afternoon - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Draws Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-1, Extends Unbeaten Run to Three Games - Chicago Fire
- 'Caps settle for draw as Fire equalize on late penalty kick off VAR ruling - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United's five-game winning streak snapped at Red Bull Arena
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Defeats Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-0 for MLS Record Fifth Consecutive Shutout Victory
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
- Lagos Kunga Loaned to Memphis 901 FC