Real Salt Lake Claims 2-1 Win over Orlando City SC
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (2-4-1, 7 points) topped Orlando City SC 2-1 on Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium.
FW Sam Johnson scored his first goal for RSL and MF Damir Kreilach added his second of the season while GK Nick Rimando finished with four saves in the victory.
RSL struck first after 17 minutes when Johnson notched his first goal for RSL when his left-footed rocket from a tight angle easily found the back of the net past Orlando City goalkeeper Brian Rowe. In the 28th minute, Head Coach Mike Petke was forced into a change as MF Everton Luizwas brought off due to injury and was replaced by MF Nick Besler. RSL was able to use the goal from Johnson to weather the storm for the remainder of the first half of play to take the 1-0 lead into the halftime break.
Salt Lake started the second half on the front foot as Kreilach hammered home his second goal of the season in the 55th minute to double the lead on an assist from FW Jefferson Savarino. Orlando City clawed its way back into the match, putting RSL under immense pressure in the final 15 minutes of the match. The visitors cut the lead in half through Portuguese playmaker Nani as his curling freekick beat the wall and Rimando from 25 yards out. As Orlando pressed for the equalizer, RSL's backline stood firm to claim the full three points at home with a 2-1 victory.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will make its first ever trip to 2019 expansion side FC Cincinnati on Friday, April 19 with kick off set for 5:30p MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Sam Johnson, 17th minute: A quick restart saw Johnson spring forward into the penalty area and after initially losing his footing inside the area, he regained his footing and the ball. Separating himself from his defender, Johnson smashed the ball home from close range inside the near post for his first goal in an RSL uniform.
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Jefferson Savarino, Aaron Herrera), 55th minute: A lofted ball into the attacking third from Herrera found the run of Savarino down the right side. Savarino took his defender 1v1 before squaring the ball to Kreilach who smashed the ball home from just inside the penalty area to double RSL's lead.
ORL: Nani, 81st minute: After Orlando City earned a freekick from 25 yards, Nani stepped up to the shot, sending a curling effort up and over the wall and past Nick Rimando to cut the lead in half.
- FW Sam Johnson marked his second consecutive start with a goal in the 17th minute for his first in an RSL uniform.
- DF Marcelo Silva (hamstring) missed the match against Orlando City due to injury.
- DF Donny Toia started the match in place of Brooks Lennon, leaving Aaron Herrera, Nedum Onuoha and Nick Rimando as the only remaining players to have played every minute for RSL in 2019.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. Orlando City SC
Date: April 13, 2019
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Sunny and 52 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 1 1 2
Orlando City SC 0 1 1
RSL: Sam Johnson, 17'
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Jefferson Savarino, Aaron Herrera) 55'
ORL: Nani 81'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Nick Rimando; Aaron Herrera, Justen Glad, Nedum Onuoha, Donny Toia; Kyle Beckerman, Everton Luiz (Nick Besler, 28'); Jefferson Savarino, Damir Kreilach (Corey Baird, 67'), Albert Rusnák; Sam Johnson (Brooks Lennon, 86')
Subs not used: Andrew Putna, Justin Portillo, Sebastian Saucedo, Joao Plata
Orlando City SC: (4-5-1): Brian Rowe; Shane O'Neill, Robin Jansson, Kamal Miller; Ruan, Sebastian Mendez, Will Johnson, Joao Moutinho (Josué Colman, 77'), Sasha Kljestian; Chris Mueller (Nani, 56'), Tesho Akindele (Dom Dwyer, 56')
Subs not used: Adam Grinwis, Kyle Smith, Oriol Rosell, Benji Michel
Stats Summary: RSL / ORL
Shots: 10 / 13
Shots on Goal: 5 / 5
Saves: 4 / 3
Corner Kicks: 4 / 8
Fouls: 7 / 13
Offside: 3 / 1
RSL - Nedum Onuoha (caution) 34'
RSL - Damir Kreilach (caution) 41'
ORL - Shane O'Neill (caution) 45'+1
ORL - Dom Dwyer (caution) 69'
RSL - Kyle Beckerman (caution) 74'
ORL - Will Johnson (caution) 90'+1
Referee: Chris Penso
Assistant Referees: Nick Uranga, Frank Anderson
4th Official: Ismir Pekmic
VAR: Ricardo Salazar
AVAR: Jozef Batko
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 13, 2019
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 2, Philadelphia Union 0 - Saturday, April 13, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Claims 2-1 Win over Orlando City SC - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Fall 2-1 to FC Dallas at Toyota Stadium - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Earns a 2-1 Win against Portland - FC Dallas
- Orlando City's Late Rally Falls Short at RSL - Orlando City SC
- Revolution Fall to Atlanta United FC, 2-0 - New England Revolution
- Barco Brace Carries Atlanta United Past New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Notes & Quotes: Minnesota United FC 3 - 3 New York City FC - New York City FC
- MNUFC Captures Point in First Game at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Comes from Behind to Secure 3-2 Victory over Toronto FC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Dynamo Stay Unbeaten with 2-1 Win over San Jose - Houston Dynamo
- Yueill nets first MLS career goal in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo vs. San Jose Earthquakes Match Scheduled to Resume at 4:22 p.m. - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Shuts out Columbus 1-0 in Home Opener - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo vs. San Jose Earthquakes Match Halted at Halftime Due to Inclement Weather - Houston Dynamo
- Orlando City SC Loans Cam Lindley to Memphis 901 FC - Orlando City SC
- Columbus Crew SC Faces the Montreal Impact at Stade Saputo this Afternoon - Columbus Crew SC
- Chicago Fire Draws Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-1, Extends Unbeaten Run to Three Games - Chicago Fire
- 'Caps settle for draw as Fire equalize on late penalty kick off VAR ruling - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Runs Rampant over Toronto FC in Sandy
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Toronto FC on Saturday Afternoon in Sandy
- Real Salt Lake FW Julian Vazquez Called in to Mexico U-18 Camp
- Real Salt Lake Outlasts Colorado in 3-2 Road Win
- Real Salt Lake Faces Rocky Mountain Rival Colorado Rapids Saturday in Denver