Timbers Fall 2-0 to New York Red Bulls at Providence Park
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers conceded a goal in each half, falling 2-0 to the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday night at Providence Park. With four matches remaining on their regular-season schedule, the Timbers return to action on Sunday, playing host to Minnesota United FC.
The Red Bulls took a 1-0 lead in the third minute. Josh Sims dribbled down the left side of the field and delivered a cross that skipped through the box and landed for Kyle Duncan, who converted from close range.
The Timbers made three defensive plays in quick succession to deny the Red Bulls a second goal in the sixth minute. Sims had consecutive shots from inside the box, but Portland goalkeeper Steve Clark parried the first attempt away, while Jorge Villafaña blocked Sims' second shot off the save from Clark. Moments later, Bill Tuiloma cleared the ball off the goal line as Tom Barlow connected, sending a third shot from close range toward goal.
On the counter-attack in the 19th minute, Brian Fernandez switched the point of attack, playing the ball to Diego Valeri running down the right side of the field. Valeri lobbed a pass to Diego Chara, who made a charging run toward the penalty spot and unleashed a powerful strike that ricocheted off the underside of the crossbar.
In the 35th minute, Valeri laid the ball off to Tomás Conechny at the top of box. Conechny sent a curling strike toward the left post that went just wide of the target.
Searching for an equalizer, Valeri delivered a pinpoint ball off a corner kick to the edge of the six-yard box for Jeremy Ebobisse, who directed a header on frame, forcing a save from Red Bulls goalkeeper Luis Robles in the 66th minute.
Portland nearly leveled the match in the 82nd minute. Sebastián Blanco played a long pass over the top for Ebobisse near the edge of the box. Ebobisse beat two Red Bulls defenders to the ball, dribbled into the box and was one-on-one with Robles, but his shot trickled just past the right post.
In second-half stoppage time, the Red Bulls were awarded a penalty kick after the Timbers committed a foul inside the box. Daniel Royer stepped to the spot and deposited the ball into the top left corner of the goal to increase the lead to 2-0.
Continuing to push for a goal, a scramble ensued in the box and the ball bounced to Fernandez near the left post, but he sent his shot wide of the goal deep into second-half stoppage time.
Diego Chara finished the match with 10 tackles, which is the most by any Timbers player since 2014. Chara has 10 or more tackles in four matches in his MLS career.
Chara's 10 tackles are tied for the most by an MLS player in a single match this season.
Jeremy Ebobisse played in his 48th consecutive match in all competitions, which is the third-longest active streak among MLS field players.
Sebastián Blanco played his 90th career match for the Timbers, which is tied for the 10th-most matches played by an MLS Timbers player.
Tomás Conechny made his third career start in MLS play for Portland. It marked his first career start for the club in league play at Providence Park.
Up next, the Timbers square off against Minnesota United FC on Sunday, Sept. 22, at Providence Park. Beginning at 1 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a national television broadcast on ESPN with local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (13-13-4, 43pts) vs. New York Red Bulls (13-13-5, 44pts)
Sept. 18, 2019 - Providence Park (Portland, Ore.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 0 0 0
New York Red Bulls 1 1 2
NYRB: Duncan (Sims, Rzatkowski), 3
NYRB: Royer (penalty kick), 90+6
POR: Chara (caution), 76
POR: Moreira (caution), 90+2
POR: GK Clark, D Moreira, D Tuiloma, D Dielna, D Villafaña (Loría, 85), M Paredes (Blanco, 73), M Chara, M Fernandez, M Valeri ©, M Conechny (Polo, 81), F Ebobisse
Substitutes Not Used: GK McIntosh, D Valentin, D Farfan, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 15 (Fernandez, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 3 (Three players tied, 1); FOULS: 14 (Chara, 4); OFFSIDES: 2; CORNER KICKS: 8; SAVES: 3
NY: GK Robles ©, D Duncan, D Long, D Parker, D Lawrence, M Davis, M Rzatkowski, M Cásseres Jr., M Muyl (Royer, 68), M Sims (Nealis, 87), F Barlow (Wright-Phillips, 77)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Meara, D Murillo, M Kaku, M Fernandez
TOTAL SHOTS: 19 (Sims, 5); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Sims, 2); FOULS: 10 (Cásseres Jr., 3); OFFSIDES: 0; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 3
Referee: Allan Kelly
Assistant Referees: Eric Weisbrod, Chris Wattam
4th Official: Joe Dickerson
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
Weather: Cloudy, 61 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2019
- FC Dallas Foundation, Frisco Independent School District and the National Soccer Hall of Fame Launch STEAM FC Powered by NEC - FC Dallas
- MLS Announces Details for 2019 Expansion Draft and Expansion Priority Draft - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF, Nashville SC to Select up to Five Players During 2019 MLS Expansion Draft on November 19 - MLS
- Minnesota United Defender Brent Kallman Suspended and Fined for Violating MLS Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Policy - MLS
- Minnesota United Defender Brent Kallman Suspended and Fined for Violating MLS Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Policy - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Travels to Face Houston Dynamo on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Secures Point Versus FC Dallas, as Rave Green Approach Final Three Matches of Regular Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Fall 2-0 to New York Red Bulls at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Earns Crucial Point in Seattle - FC Dallas
- Duncan, Royer Lift New York Past Portland, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Cincinnati 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs with 5-2 Win against La Galaxy
- Timbers Play Host to LA Galaxy Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers, Seattle Battle to 1-1 Draw at Centurylink Field Thursday Night
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at CenturyLink Field
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park