Orlando City Travels to Face Houston Dynamo on Saturday
ORLANDO, Fla. - Orlando City SC (9-13-9, 36 points) heads back out on the road to face the Houston Dynamo (10-16-4, 34 points) on Saturday, Sept. 21. Kickoff is slated for 8:30 p.m. ET at BBVA Stadium.
Saturday's match will be locally televised on FOX35 Plus and available on YouTube TV and ESPN+ while being transmitted on Real Radio 104.1 FM in English and Acción 97.9 FM, 810 AM in Spanish.
"I think we need to focus on performance. We aren't in a position now to be able to fully control our own destiny, so I think what we need to do is make sure that we get a strong performance in Houston, try to get three points in Houston and then see what happens after that," Head Coach James O'Connor said. "Houston I'm sure at home will be desperate to win the game as well, so we understand it's going to be a very tough game, tough conditions. It's a game where again we're excited and looking forward to."
The Lions enter Saturday's match following a 3-3 draw to New England Revolution last Saturday at Exploria Stadium. The Revs opened the scoring in the 15th minute of play off an own goal from Tesho Akindele, the first conceded by the Lions this year, only to be answered by a finish from the head of Nani seven minutes later. New England would then go on to score two unanswered before the break in the 35th and 41st minutes respectively. City responded in the second half with a finish off the head of Dom Dwyer in the 47th minute followed by Nani's second goal of the night in the 54th to secure a point from the match.
Nani now leads the Lions with 12 goals this season, coming off his third multi-goal performance of the year. The City captain also extended his team lead in assists to nine, earning the assist on Dwyer's finish in the 47th minute.
Houston comes into this weekend's matchup fresh off a 2-1 loss in Vancouver this past Saturday. Hwang In-Beom converted from the spot in the 54th minute to give the Whitecaps the lead, but the Dynamo answered in the 78th with a finish from Mauro Manotas. Vancouver found the game-winner however in the 90th minute with a goal from Fredy Montero to take all three points at home.
Manotas leads the Dynamo with 13 goals in 2019, followed by Alberth Elis with seven. Elis leads Houston in assists this season, having registered eight thus far.
Following Saturday's match, the Lions will remain on the road to face FC Cincinnati on Sunday, Sept. 29 before returning home to Exploria Stadium for their regular-season home finale on Sunday, Oct. 6 against the Chicago Fire.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2019
- FC Dallas Foundation, Frisco Independent School District and the National Soccer Hall of Fame Launch STEAM FC Powered by NEC - FC Dallas
- MLS Announces Details for 2019 Expansion Draft and Expansion Priority Draft - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF, Nashville SC to Select up to Five Players During 2019 MLS Expansion Draft on November 19 - MLS
- Minnesota United Defender Brent Kallman Suspended and Fined for Violating MLS Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Policy - MLS
- Minnesota United Defender Brent Kallman Suspended and Fined for Violating MLS Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Policy - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Travels to Face Houston Dynamo on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Secures Point Versus FC Dallas, as Rave Green Approach Final Three Matches of Regular Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Fall 2-0 to New York Red Bulls at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Earns Crucial Point in Seattle - FC Dallas
- Duncan, Royer Lift New York Past Portland, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Cincinnati 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- City Furniture and Orlando City Soccer Club Launch "Delivering Hope" Program, Donating Beds to 100 Kids at October 4 Pajama Party
- Orlando City SC to Expand Presence in Osceola County
- Orlando City SC Parts Ways with James O'Connor
- Orlando City Fall to Chicago Fire in Season Finale
- Storylines | City vs. Chicago Fire