Atlanta United Defeats FC Cincinnati 2-0
CINCINNATI, OH - Atlanta United defeated FC Cincinnati 2-0 Wednesday night at Nippert Stadium behind a second-half brace from Josef Martinez while Brad Guzan and Atlanta kept a league-high 14th clean sheet on the season.
Atlanta controlled 77 percent of possession in the first half and recorded nine shots but couldn't find a breakthrough as the match remained scoreless at halftime. Julian Gressel had a pair of chances, firing a shot over the crossbar in the 29th minute and later skipping a shot just past the far post in the 41st minute. In the 31st minute, Guzan made a diving save to stop a Maikel van der Werff header off a Frankie Amaya corner kick for his lone save of the night. Eric Remedi headed the resulting loose ball off the line to stop Cincinnati's best chance of the half. Guzan recorded his league-high 14th clean sheet of the season and is two away from tying the MLS single-season record.
Josef Martinez scored the opening goal in the 59th minute. Martinez sprung a counter attack and found Pity Martinez near midfield, where the Argentine took two touches and split a pair of defenders with a return pass to find Martinez streaking in on goal. The Venezuelan calmly fired a shot to the far post past Przemslaw Tyton to extend his scoring streak to 15 MLS matches.
Josef Martinez doubled Atlanta's lead in the 65th minute as he received a pass from Gressel at the top of the box, back-heeled a first touch towards goal and then faked one shot and side-stepped another Cincinnati defender before curling a left-footed shot into the side net. The Venezuelan has scored 26 goals and is now tied for second in the MLS Golden Boot race, two behind Carlos Vela.
Atlanta United (16-11-3, 51 points) returns to action Saturday, Sept. 21 against San Jose Earthquakes at Mercedes-Benz Stadium (3:30 p.m. EST, Univision, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
FC Cincinnati 0, Atlanta United 2
Shots: 15-14 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 5-2 Atlanta
Corner kicks: 7-4 Atlanta
Fouls committed: 12-9 Atlanta
Clearances: 23-12 Cincinnati
Offside: 2-1 Atlanta
Possession: 66-34 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 83-73 Atlanta
ATL- Josef Martinez (Pity Martinez) 59' HIGHLIGHT
ATL- Josef Martinez (Julian Gressel) 65' HIGHLIGHT
ATL - Justin Meram (yellow) 14'
ATL - Franco Escobar (yellow) 49'
ATL - Leandro González Pirez (yellow) 66'
CIN - Caleb Stanko (yellow) 90+4
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; Leandro González Pirez, Miles Robinson, Franco Escobar; Justin Meram (Dion Pereira 86'), Julian Gressel, Eric Remedi, Darlington Nagbe, Emerson Hyndman; Gonzalo Martinez (Tito Villalba 60'), Josef Martinez
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Florentin Pogba, Michael Parkhurst, Jeff Larentowciz, Brandon Vazquez
FC CINCINNATI STARTING LINEUP
Przemyslaw Tyton; Maikel van der Werff, Nick Hagglund ©, Andrew Gutman, Mathieu Deplagne; Leonardo Bertone, Frankie Amaya (Rashawn Dally 68'), Fatai Alashe (Caleb Stanko 79'); Emmanuel Ledesma, Joseph-Claude Gyau (Roland Lamah 74'), Kekutah Manneh
Substitutes not used: Victor Ulloa, Jimmy Hague, Thomas McCabe, Justin Hoyte
Marcos de Oliveira (referee), Jeffrey Greeson (assistant), Benjamin Hall-Wolpenhein (assistant), Chris Penso (fourth), Hilario Grajeda (VAR).
Josef Martinez extended his MLS-record scoring streak to 15 games and now has 26 goals in MLS play this season, tied for second in the Golden Boot race.
Pity Martinez recorded his ninth assist of the season
Julian Gressel recorded his team-high 10th assist of the season.
Brad Guzan recorded his 14th clean sheet this season, the most in MLS. He is two short of tying the single season MLS record.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 19, 2019
- FC Dallas Foundation, Frisco Independent School District and the National Soccer Hall of Fame Launch STEAM FC Powered by NEC - FC Dallas
- MLS Announces Details for 2019 Expansion Draft and Expansion Priority Draft - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF, Nashville SC to Select up to Five Players During 2019 MLS Expansion Draft on November 19 - MLS
- Minnesota United Defender Brent Kallman Suspended and Fined for Violating MLS Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Policy - MLS
- Minnesota United Defender Brent Kallman Suspended and Fined for Violating MLS Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Policy - Minnesota United FC
- Orlando City Travels to Face Houston Dynamo on Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Sounders FC Secures Point Versus FC Dallas, as Rave Green Approach Final Three Matches of Regular Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Fall 2-0 to New York Red Bulls at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Earns Crucial Point in Seattle - FC Dallas
- Duncan, Royer Lift New York Past Portland, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Defeats FC Cincinnati 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- George Bello Named to USA Roster for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m.
- Atlanta United Set to Host New England Revolution October 19
- Atlanta United Win 3-1 against New England Revolution