Timbers Extend Unbeaten Streak to Seven with 3-3 Draw Against LA Galaxy
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers extended their undefeated streak to seven straight matches (5-0-2) with a hard fought 3-3 draw against the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday night. Santiago Moreno opened the scoring five minutes into the match, sparking a first half that saw five goals with the Timbers trailing 3-2. In the 76th minute, Felipe Mora found the back of the net with a goal that leveled the match for Portland. With the result, the Timbers sit in seventh place of the Western Conference standings.
Numbers in the Attack
Portland has scored multiple goals in eight straight matches, tallying 18 in that span. Eighteen goals scored since August 26 is the second-most goals scored by any team in the league during that span, trailing only the Galaxy (20). In that eight-match span, four Portland players have registered five or more goal contributions a piece - Felipe Mora (5G, 2A), Evander (4G, 1A), Santiago Moreno (3G, 3A), Dairon Asprilla (1G, 5A). Moreno tallied his third goal of the season, while Mora notched his fifth goal and second assist of the campaign. Asprilla recorded his fifth assist of the season, a single-season career best for the Colombian winger. Notably, Mora and Moreno both scored in back-to-back games for Portland, while Asprilla tallied three assists in the Timbers' last two matches.
With tonight's result, Portland sits in seventh place of the Western Conference standings with 43 points, which is tied with Real Salt Lake and Vancouver Whitecaps FC sitting in fifth and sixth respectively, and just three points away from second-place Seattle Sounders FC (46pts). Entering the final stretch, 12 of 14 Western Conference teams are in contention for the last eight remaining spots in the playoffs. With two remaining matches in the regular season, Portland will next face Eastern Conference side C.F. Montreal (Oct. 7) on the road and Western Conference opponent Houston Dynamo FC (Oct. 21) at Providence Park.
Milestones of the Night
David Bingham made his 200th appearance in MLS regular season play tonight. Bingham has played 96 regular season matches for the San Jose Earthquakes, 85 for the LA Galaxy and 19 for the Timbers. Larrys Mabiala made his 150th regular season appearance with the Timbers. Mabiala is just the seventh player in club history to reach that milestone. Sebastián Blanco made his 200th appearance across all competitions for Portland.
POR - Santiago Moreno (Dairon Asprilla, Felipe Mora), 5th minute: Felipe Mora controlled the ball with his chest and sent the ball wide to Dairon Asprilla, who from the right side of the field dribbled inside and crossed the ball into the top of the six-yard box. Santiago Moreno sped through two defenders and finished the play with a right-footed shot into the middle of the goal.
LA - Eriq Zavaleta (Douglas Costa), 10th minute: Off a corner kick, Douglas Costa served the ball into the penalty-kick area and Eriq Zavaleta put the Galaxy on the scoring sheet with a header goal.
POR - Eriq Zavaleta (own goal), 38th minute: Juan David Mosquera sparked a combination play with Santiago Moreno and Felipe Mora at the top of the box. Mora, inside the box, shot a right-footed ball that was deflected by Galaxy defender Eriq Zavaleta, forcing an own goal.
LA - Douglas Costa (Raheem Edwards), 43rd minute: Raheem Edwards took a touch on a ball that was redirected towards the top of the 18-yard box, where Douglas Acosta stood unmarked. On his first touch, Acosta finished the play by firing a left-footed shot into the upper-right corner of the goal.
LA - Eriq Zavaleta (Douglas Costa), 45+1 minute: Douglas Costa served a free-kick ball towards the top of the six-yard box for Eriq Zavaleta, who headed the ball into the lower-right corner of the goal.
POR - Felipe Mora, 76th minute: Running through the left side of the field, Sebastián Blanco crossed a ball into the box where Franck Boli was denied a shot. Through the deflection, Felipe Mora pounced on the loose ball and took a right-footed shot that ended inside the right side of the goal.
With tonight's result, Portland sits in seventh place of the Western Conference standings with 43 points, which is tied with Real Salt Lake and Vancouver Whitecaps FC sitting in fifth and sixth respectively.
The Timbers are unbeaten in seven straight matches (5-0-2).
It marks the longest active unbeaten streak in MLS.
Portland has scored multiple goals in eight straight matches, tallying 18 in that span.
Eighteen goals scored since August 26 is the second-most goals scored by any team in the league during that span, trailing only the Galaxy (20).
In that eight-match span, four Portland players have registered five or more goal contributions a piece - Felipe Mora (5G, 2A), Evander (4G, 1A), Santiago Moreno (3G, 3A), Dairon Asprilla (1G, 5A).
Mora tallied his fifth goal and second assist of the season tonight.
It marked Mora's second appearance with a goal and an assist in Portland's last four matches.
Moreno registered his third goal of the season.
Mora and Moreno both scored in back-to-back games for Portland.
Asprilla recorded his fifth assist of the 2023 campaign.
Five assists is a new single-season career best for Asprilla.
Asprilla has tallied three assists in Portland's last two matches.
Four different players have tallied five or more assists for the Timbers this season (Asprilla, Bravo, Moreno, Mosquera).
David Bingham made his 200th appearance in MLS regular season play tonight.
Larrys Mabiala made his 150th regular season appearance with the Timbers.
Sebastián Blanco made his 200th appearance across all competitions for Portland.
The Timbers will continue their two-game road stretch as they travel to face Eastern Conference side C.F. Montreal on Saturday, Oct. 7. The match will kick off at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific) on MLS Season Passon the Apple TV app in English and Spanish as well as local radio broadcasts, 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (11-11-10, 42pts) vs. LA Galaxy (8-11-11, 35pts)
Sept. 30, 2023 - Dignity Health Sports Park (Carson, Calif.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 2 1 3
LA Galaxy 3 0 3
POR: Moreno (Asprilla), 5
LA: Zavaleta (Costa), 10
POR: Zavaleta (own goal), 38
LA: Costa (Edwards), 43
LA: Zavaleta (Costa), 45+1
POR: Mora, 76
LA: Delgado (caution), 13
LA: Yoshida (caution), 54
POR: Moreno (caution), 62
POR: GK Bingham, D Bravo (Miller, 91), D McGraw, D Zuparic, D Mosquera, M Acosta, M Paredes (Caliskan, 36), M Moreno, F Asprilla (Boli, 71), F Mora © (Mabiala, 91), F Antony (Blanco, 71)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Sulte, D Araujo, M Loría, F Y. Chara
TOTAL SHOTS: 12 (Mora, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Mora, 2); FOULS: 15 (Acosta, 4); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 6, SAVES: 2
LA: GK Bond, D Edwards, D Cuevas, D Zavaleta, D Yoshida ©, M Rosell, M Boyd (Barrios, 83), M Delgado (Aguirre, 67), M Cerrillo (Leerdam, 83), F Costa (Fagundez, 58), F Sharp (Joveljic, 67)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Micovic, D Alfaro, D Aude, M Perez
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Yoshida, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Boyd, Zavaleta, 2); FOULS: 14 (Boyd, 3); OFFSIDES: 4; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: 2
Referee: Joe Dickerson
Assistant Referees: Jose Da Silva, Adam Garner
Fourth Official: Ricardo Fierro
VAR: Malik Badawi
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 63 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 30, 2023
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Draw D.C. United - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Extend Unbeaten Streak to Seven with 3-3 Draw Against LA Galaxy - Portland Timbers
- Match Report: St. Louis CITY SC Hits Four Past Sporting KC for the Second Time at CITYPARK - St. Louis City SC
- Austin FC Falls 1-0 to Colorado Rapids - Austin FC
- Nashville SC Clinches Fourth Consecutive Playoffs Berth - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Earns Important Point at Home Against New York City FC - Inter Miami CF
- FC Cincinnati Defeat Toronto FC 3-2, Capture Supporters' Shield - FC Cincinnati
- Nashville SC Extends Unbeaten Streak to Five with Scoreless Draw Against Seattle Sounders FC - Nashville SC
- Sounders FC Earns Road Point with Scoreless Draw at Nashville SC - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United and San Jose Battle in 1-1 Draw - Minnesota United FC
- Marie Finds Late Equalizer, Quakes Earn Crucial Road Point - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Retains El Capitán with 0-0 Draw Against Houston Dynamo FC - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Defeats New York Red Bulls 1-0 at Red Bulls Arena - Chicago Fire FC
- Sporting KC Falls to St. Louis - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City SC Sets New Single-Season Wins Record & Points Record After 3-0 Win Over CF Montréal - Orlando City SC
- New England Revolution Edge Charlotte FC, 2-1 - New England Revolution
- CF Montréal Blanked by Orlando City SC - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York City Football Club Draws Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Houston Dynamo FC Earn 13th Clean Sheet of the Season - Houston Dynamo FC
- Nick Cushing: "It's One Point Gained." - New York City FC
- Blake Registers Eight Saves; Union Unbeaten in Six Consecutive League Matches - Philadelphia Union
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Fall to Loss in New England Despite Swiderski Equalizer - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Claim Supporters' Shield in Dramatic 3-2 Win Over Toronto FC - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Captures First Supporters' Shield in Club History - MLS
- Everything You Need to Know About FC Cincinnati Winning the Supporters' Shield - FC Cincinnati
- Match Preview: LA Galaxy Play Host to Portland Timbers at Dignity Health Sports Park Tonight, Saturday, September 30 - LA Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo FC Add Trophy Tour to Fan Appreciation Week, Presented by Verizon - Houston Dynamo FC
- FC Cincinnati Prepare to Play '1 of 34' But What Is at Stake Is Clear, and the Orange and Blue Have Their Eyes on the Prize - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Travels to Face Nashville SC Tonight at GEOIDS Park - Seattle Sounders FC
- Rapids vs. Austin FC: Preview, Media Assets & Postgame Availability - Colorado Rapids
- Felipe Mora, Cristhian Paredes Called up for International Duty in October - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Schedule Set for 2024 Coachella Valley Invitational in February
- Juan David Mosquera Called up to Colombian Men's National Team in December
- Timbers Announce Roster Status Ahead of 2024 MLS Season
- Portland Timbers Announce Multi-Year Jersey Rights Partnership with DaBella
- Bryan Acosta, Miguel Araujo Called up for International Duty in November