Tigers Claw Back to Beat BKLYN
NORWICH, CT - The Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short-Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, held a three-run lead entering the eighth inning but squandered it late, as the Connecticut Tigers walked off to win 6-5 at Dodd Stadium on Saturday night.
W: Tassin (2-0)
L: Mullenbach (1-3)
Cyclones HR: Peroza (4)
Connecticut rallied to walk it off with two runs in the bottom of the ninth inning off Cyclones reliever Matt Mullenbach. The Tigers tied the game on Ryan Kreidler's single and won on a bases-loaded walk by Jake Holton.
Brooklyn reclaimed a 5-2 lead in the fourth inning on Jose Peroza's three-run home run, which the 19-year-old tucked inside the left-field foul pole to bring home Luke Ritter and Joe Genord as well.
Brooklyn scored instantly in the top of the first off Connecticut starter Xavier Javier. Ritter drove in Antoine Duplantis on a sacrifice fly, and Wilmer Reyes scored from third on a wild pitch to make it 2-0.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
Jose Peroza: 1-4, HR, 3 RBI, R
Corey Gaconi: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 3 K
Antoine Duplantis: 1-2, R, 2 BB
Nate Jones: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 3 K
NEWS & NOTES
Brooklyn remains tied with Aberdeen for 1st place in the Wild Card, with Staten Island and West Virginia both one game back. Brooklyn also stays one game behind Hudson Valley in the McNamara Division.
In the third inning, Brooklyn's pitching staff snapped a season-long streak of 17.2 consecutive scoreless innings, which began in the final inning of Thursday's series opener. In the eighth inning, the Cyclones' bullpen also snapped a season-long streak of 21 consecutive relief scoreless innings.
Cyclones vs. Vermont - Sunday, 4:00 p.m.
MCU Park - Brooklyn, NY
Probables: RHP Matt Cleveland (3-3, 3.70) vs. RHP Leudeny Pineda (2-0, 5.40)
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Solano Stellar as Spikes Shut out Muckdogs, 1-0 - State College Spikes
- Tigers Claw Back to Beat BKLYN - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Gades Fall, Remain One Game Up - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Tigers Avoid Sweep with Walk-Off Win - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Crosscutters Hang On in Exciting Pitchers' Duel - Williamsport Crosscutters
- IronBirds Drop Series Finale with Staten Island - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Lowell Rallies In Ninth For 3-2 Win At Vermont - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Add Pitcher from GCL Tigers West - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Doubledays Drop Doubleheader to Black Bears - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.