Tides' Pitching, Late Scoring Produce Win
Five Tides pitchers combined on a six-hit shutout and Norfolk plated three late runs in a 4-0 win over the Charlotte Knights Tuesday night at Harbor Park.
Making his first appearance with Norfolk since being optioned from Baltimore, Norfolk starter Jimmy Yacabonis took a no-decision after limiting Charlotte to one hit over four shutout innings of work. He struck out five and issued just one walk, lowering his ERA to 2.91 in 14 starts with the Tides this season. Over his last eight outings with Norfolk, Yacabonis has now gone 3-1 with a 1.77 ERA while holding opponents to a .185 average (22-119).
The Tides were held without a hit until the sixth inning, but Cedric Mullins lined a one-out triple off of Jordan Stephens (3-3) to break up the no-hit bid. Luis Sardiñas followed with a ground ball single up the middle to give the Tides a 1-0 advantage.
The Tides held a one-run lead until the eighth, but Norfolk blew the game open with three runs and four hits off of Thiago Viera. Pedro Álvarez, Mike Yastrzemski and Drew Dosch connected for consecutive two-out run-scoring singles in the frame to extend Norfolk's advantage to 4-0.
D.J Snelten (2-1) earned the win with 2.2 shutout innings of work, while Tim Melville, Donnie Hart and Jhan Mariñez finished out the contest to wrap up the two-game series sweep. Mariñez worked a scoreless ninth inning, giving him 11 consecutive scoreless appearances.
With the win, Norfolk (43-39) wrapped up its season-long homestand with a 6-4 record.
The Tides will open up a five-game road trip on Wednesday - their final road trip before the All-Star break - with a 7:05 contest in Gwinnett. Matt Wotherspoon (2-5, 4.50) is slated to get the start for the Tides while the Stripers will counter with right-hander Matt Wisler (2-3, 3.94).
Notes: Prior to Tuesday's game, the Orioles recalled RHP Yefry Ramirez from Norfolk and placed IF Steve Wilkerson on the disabled list...Through three rehab games with Norfolk, Luis Sardiñas has hit .417 (5-12) with two doubles and an RBI...DJ Stewart reached base safely three times in four plate appearances, upping his on-base this season to .366...The win improved Norfolk to 11-5 against Charlotte this season.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 3, 2018
- Cowgill Delivers Walk-Off Winner - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Mud Hens' Hitting Helps Sink Clippers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Indians Finish Nine-Game Road Trip with Narrow 3-2 Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Wings Top PawSox, Win 3rd Straight - Rochester Red Wings
- Chiefs Fall in Tenth on Cowgill Walk-Off Home Run - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls Walk off Despite Sims' Dominance - Gwinnett Stripers
- Tides' Pitching, Late Scoring Produce Win - Norfolk Tides
- Pigs Walk off against Chiefs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bailey Leads Bats to 3-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Tuesday's Game to Tides 4-0 - Charlotte Knights
- Bulls Walk off 2-1 to Sweep Stripers - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Welcome Second Straight Sellout Crowd - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bisons Rally Falls Short in 6-3 Loss to RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- RailRiders Top Bisons, 6-3 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Masahiro Tanaka Joining RailRiders for Rehab Start on July 4 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (44-37) at Louisville Bats (32-47) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, July 3, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 3 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB RailRiders Nine to Know - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Adam Wilk Tames Mud Hens in Game One - Columbus Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Tides Stories
- Have Breakfast with Santa at Harbor Park
- Norfolk Tides Win Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- Tides to Renovate Churchland Little League Field Tuesday
- Tides to Renovate Thalia/Malibu Rec Association Field Tuesday
- Orioles Announce 2018 Award Winners for Player Development & Scouting