Three TinCaps Have Multi-Hit Games on Friday
DAYTON, Ohio -- Despite multi-hit nights from three different TinCaps, Fort Wayne lost to the Dayton Dragons (Cincinnati Reds affiliate) on Friday night, 8-4, at Day Air Ballpark.
The loss marks four straight for the TinCaps (54-64) to open the final series of the season.
Fort Wayne starter Noel Vela and Dayton right-hander Carson Spiers held a scoreless duel through the first two innings, but the Dragons (63-55) jumped out to a four-run lead in the bottom of the third. A wild pitch opened scoring, but RBI doubles from right fielder Allan Cerda and catcher Eric Yang highlighted the inning.
Fort Wayne catcher Brandon Valenzuela got the TinCaps on the board in the sixth, breaking the shutout with an RBI force out to plate shortstop Euribiel Angeles. Both Valenzuela and Angeles, along with first baseman Zack Mathis, had two hits in the loss.
Dayton recaptured the four-run lead in the bottom of the sixth, but a half-inning later, back-to-back RBI singles from Mathis and second baseman Ripken Reyes cut into the deficit.
Third baseman Justin Lopez plated designated hitter Tirso Ornelas with a sacrifice fly in the top of the eighth to trim the Dragon lead to one. However, Dayton put the game away with a three-run bottom of the eighth that included two runs scoring on wild pitches.
Next Game: Saturday, Sept. 18 @ Dayton (7:09 p.m.)
Fort Wayne Probable Starter: TBD
Dayton Probable Starter: RHP James Proctor
Watch: MiLB.TV (FREE)
Listen: 1380 The Fan & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 18, 2021
- The Butlers Did It; Nuts Win Fourth Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Take Third Straight over Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers' Bats Stifled In 4-0 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- 'Caps Denied 2,000th Win in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Win But Playoff Hopes End as Cedar Rapids Tops Peoria - Dayton Dragons
- Espino Dominates in Shutout Win - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Information: September 18 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Warren and Wiemer Lead the Way in Wisconsin's Rout of Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three TinCaps Have Multi-Hit Games on Friday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Five-Run Sixth Fuels Bandits' Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Boosted by Relief, Nuts Rally for 5-4 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Five Errors Doom Loons in 13-2 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.