Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday
Saturday, Sept. 18, 2021 l Game # 119
Day Air Ballpark l Dayton, Ohio l 7:05 p.m.
TV: Dayton's CW (26) l Radio: 980 WONE Fox Sports
Fort Wayne TinCaps (54-64) at Dayton Dragons (63-55)
LH Fred Schlichtholz (3-0, 3.97) vs. RH James Proctor (0-1, 4.38)
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Fort Wayne TinCaps (affiliate of the San Diego Padres) in the fifth game of a six-game series and the next-to-last game of the regular season.
2021 Season Series: Dayton 14, Fort Wayne 8. (At Dayton: Dragons 8, TinCaps 2). Current Series: Dayton 4, Fort Wayne 0.
Last Game: Friday: Dayton 8, Fort Wayne 4. Carson Spiers fired five scoreless innings and four Dayton players each had two hits. Michael Siani led with way with a single, double, two RBI, two runs scored, and a stolen base. Jacob Hurtubise, Allan Cerda, and Ivan Johnson also had two hits.
Current Series vs. Fort Wayne: The Dragons are 4-0 in the series and have outscored Fort Wayne 33-13 (scoring 8.3 runs per game) while batting .287 with a team ERA of 1.70. They have committed eight errors in the series.
High-A Central League Playoffs: Major League Baseball has announced that leagues at three classifications, including the High-A Central League, will conduct playoffs in September. The top two teams in each league, regardless of division, will meet in a best-of-five series.
Playoff Race: The Dragons are two games behind Cedar Rapids and one game behind Lake County in the race for the #2 seed in the 2021 post-season with two games to play. The Dragons win the tie-breaker over Cedar Rapids but lose the tie-breaker to Lake County. In the event of a tie involving more than two teams, in which one of the teams has not played regular season games against the other teams involved in the tie (ie: Cedar Rapids), Minor League Baseball has not issued a clear ruling on the tie-breaking procedure.
Jacob Hurtubise is hitting .436 (15 for 36) over his last 15 games. He is 5 for 6 (.833) in the current series.
Juan Martinez is batting .348 with three doubles over his last six games.
Allan Cerda is 6 for 12 (.500) in the current series with two doubles and a home run.
Stevie Branche since joining the Dragons: 12 G, 19 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 11 BB, 30 SO, 0.95 ERA, 2-0, 1 Sv.
Vin Timpanelli over his last 10 relief appearances: 12 IP, 2 H, 3 ER, 4 BB, 24 SO, 3 Sv. Opponents are 2 for 40 with 24 Ks.
A win tonight would match the Dragons season high for most consecutive victories (5).
The Dragons lead the High-A Central League in team ERA in the month of September, at 2.85 (16 games). They also lead the league in lowest opponent batting average (.175) and strikeouts (175 in 136 innings).
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Sun., Sept. 19 (2:05 p.m.): Fort Wayne RH Connor Lehmann (3-4, 8.64) at Dayton RH Christian Roa (2-2, 3.86) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 18, 2021
- The Butlers Did It; Nuts Win Fourth Straight - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Take Third Straight over Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers' Bats Stifled In 4-0 Loss - Beloit Snappers
- 'Caps Denied 2,000th Win in 5-3 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Win But Playoff Hopes End as Cedar Rapids Tops Peoria - Dayton Dragons
- Espino Dominates in Shutout Win - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Game Information: September 18 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Warren and Wiemer Lead the Way in Wisconsin's Rout of Great Lakes - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Three TinCaps Have Multi-Hit Games on Friday - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Five-Run Sixth Fuels Bandits' Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Boosted by Relief, Nuts Rally for 5-4 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Five Errors Doom Loons in 13-2 Loss - Great Lakes Loons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons James Marinan Named League Pitcher of the Month for September
- 2021 Dragon Named Pitching Prospect of the Year; Former Dragons Prepare for MLB Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons 2021 Season Review (Team, Events, & Organization)
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday