The Kelowna Rockets defeated the Tri-City Americans 5-4 on Wednesday night at Prospera Place.
The Rockets opened the scoring 6:29 into the first as Conner Bruggen-Cate ripped home his seventh of the campaign. Carsen Twarnyski(25) extended Kelowna's lead at 14:46, but just over a minute later Nolan Yaremko(12) tallied for the Ams. Twarynski(26) recorded a power play marker for his second of the period at 18:21 and the Rockets led 3-1 after 20 minutes.
Rockets forward Kyle Topping's older brother Jordan Topping(19) cut Kelowna's lead to one on an Americans power play at 3:39 of the middle period. The Rockets held onto a 3-2 lead through 40 minutes.
Just 20 seconds in to the final stanza Parker Aucoin(8) evened the score at 3-3 before Brett Clayton(3) gave the Americans their first lead of the evening at 2:55. That lead was short lived as Nolan Foote(11) responded for the Rockets just 47 seconds later and Bruggen-Cate(8) scored his second of the night 54 seconds after that to regain a one goal advantage in Kelowna's favour one last time. The Americans made a late period push but Kelowna held on for the 5-4 victory.
Kelowna enjoyed multi-point evenings from Carsen Twarynski(2G, 1A), Conner Bruggen-Cate(2G), Nolan Foote(1G, 2A), Kole Lind(2A), and Kyle Topping(2A).
James Porter's record improves to 16-5-2-0 after stopping 24 of 28 shots he faced. The Rockets outshot the Americans 36-28.
The Rockets record improves to 24-11-2-1.
Kelowna was without Rockets Captain Cal Foote and Rockets Assistant Captain Dillon Dube as they are in Buffalo, NY taking part in the World Junior Championships for Team Canada. With Dube captaining the squad, they are competing in the semifinal on Thursday at 5:00pm PST against Czech Republic after defeating Switzerland 8-2 in the quarterfinal on Tuesday afternoon. Dube scored his second power play goal of the tournament in that contest. The winner of the game on Thursday will compete for the gold medal on Friday at 5:00pm PST
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 7, 2018
- The Kelowna Rockets defeated the Tri-City Americans 5-4 on Wednesday night at Prospera Place. - Kelowna Rockets
- CALGARY HITMEN Hitmen 4 Tigers 3 OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Recap: Regina Pats (3) vs Brandon Wheat Kings (2) - Regina Pats
- Regina Pats move Homecoming Weekend Indoors - Regina Pats
- Silvertips Sign Listed Prospect Forward Gage Goncalves to a Western Hockey League Standard Player Ag - Everett Silvertips
- WARRIORS RETAIN SECOND SPOT IN CHL TOP 10 RANKINGS - WHL
- WARRIORS' BURKE NAMED WHL PLAYER OF THE MONTH - WHL
- Media Release -- ICE's Krebs Named WHL Rookie of the Month - WHL
- Porter Named Vaughn CHL Goaltender of the Week - Kelowna Rockets
- Raiders Hosting Sock Hop against Kootenay - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kelowna Rockets Stories
- 2018 Kelowna Rockets Awards Ceremony Held
- 2 Former Rockets Help University of Alberta Golden Bears Win 2018 U SPORTS Cavendish Farms University Cup
- Rockets crush Vancouver in Regular Season Finale
- Rockets Dispatch Vancouver 5-2
- Rockets Enter the Final Weekend of the Regular Season against the Giants