'The Hitmen Pledge Powered by ENMAX' Pours 34,763 Volunteer Hours into the Community
Calgary, AB - The Calgary Hitmen are proud to announce 'The Hitmen Pledge powered by ENMAX' was an enormous success with 34,763 volunteer hours donated to local charities. That translates into over $1.18 million in equivalent labour hours according to Propellus, The Volunteer Centre of Calgary.
The Pledge, which launched last fall at the Hitmen Home Opener, asked participants to donate 25 volunteer hours back into their community with the overall goal of generating 25,000 total hours in the 25th season of Hitmen Hockey.
"From the beginning, the Hitmen Pledge powered by ENMAX struck a chord with our fans, partners, and staff," said Hitmen Assistant Manager of Business Operations Rob Kerr. "The response was immediate but none of us expected we would eclipse our goal by nearly 10,000 hours. It clearly showcases the wonderful volunteer spirit of Hitmen fans and Calgarians alike."
"The results of this initiative show the strong commitment from our community to support one another," added Diana Stephenson, Vice President, Public Affairs, ENMAX. "This impressive achievement is a powerful example of the positive impact that can be made by caring community members when we join together in support of a great cause."
For every 25 hours donated, volunteers received one entry to win $25,000 from the Calgary Hitmen Foundation to gift to a registered Southern Alberta charity of their choice. To be eligible, the chosen not-for-profit organization requires a registered charitable number and AGLC ID number.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Western Hockey League's cancellation of its regular season, the Hitmen Pledge draw originally scheduled to take place during last month's regular season finale was postponed. The lucky winner will now be selected at the 2020-21 Hitmen Home Opener.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2020
- Defenseman Max Martin Signs with AHL Texas Stars - Kamloops Blazers
- Broncos Dir. of Player Personnel Gary Aubin Breaks Down 2020 Draft Class - Swift Current Broncos
- 2020 WHL Bantam Draft Results - Portland Winterhawks
- Riley Heidt Signed to WHL Standard Player Agreement - Prince George Cougars
- 'The Hitmen Pledge Powered by ENMAX' Pours 34,763 Volunteer Hours into the Community - Calgary Hitmen
- Rockets name Terry McFaul head scout - Kelowna Rockets
- On this Day: April 23, 2014 - Portland Winterhawks
- Silvertips Select 12 Prospects in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Americans Select Dragicevic Fourth Overall, Take 10 Skaters in 2020 WHL Bantam Draft - Tri-City Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.