Riley Heidt Signed to WHL Standard Player Agreement
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars Hockey Club is pleased to announce forward Riley Heidt (05), the second overall pick in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft, has signed a Western Hockey League (WHL) Standard Player Agreement.
"It's a very exciting day for our organization. Riley is an elite talent that is going to be a big piece for our team for the next several seasons," said Cougars' General Manager & Head Coach, Mark Lamb.
The Saskatoon, SK product played with the Saskatoon Contacts in the Saskatchewan Midget AAA Hockey League (SMAAAHL) this past season. Widely considered one of the top forwards in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft, Heidt played in 44 games for the Contacts and was fifth in team scoring with 37 points (17G-20A). Impressive numbers considering he was playing against competition up to three years older than him. He was granted special status by the Saskatchewan Hockey Association to play at the midget level.
Prior to playing in the SMAAAHL, the 5'8, 150-pound winger spent the previous two years playing for the Martensville Marauders in the Saskatchewan Bantam AA Hockey League (SBAAHL), where he compiled 153 points (58G-95) in 62 games. He won a SBAAHL championship with the Marauders in 2019.
"I'm very honoured to be drafted by the Cougars and I'm excited about the future." said Heidt, "I've dreamt about playing in the Western Hockey League since I was a little kid, and this is the next step in getting closer to that goal. I can't wait to get started in Prince George."
Heidt is the fourth player in Cougars' franchise history to be selected second overall in the WHL Bantam Draft. Other players in franchise history to be drafted second overall include Jansen Harkins (2012), Travis Eagles (1996), and Tyler Bouck (1995).
Images from this story
Forward Riley Heidt
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2020
- Defenseman Max Martin Signs with AHL Texas Stars - Kamloops Blazers
- Broncos Dir. of Player Personnel Gary Aubin Breaks Down 2020 Draft Class - Swift Current Broncos
- 2020 WHL Bantam Draft Results - Portland Winterhawks
- Riley Heidt Signed to WHL Standard Player Agreement - Prince George Cougars
- 'The Hitmen Pledge Powered by ENMAX' Pours 34,763 Volunteer Hours into the Community - Calgary Hitmen
- Rockets name Terry McFaul head scout - Kelowna Rockets
- On this Day: April 23, 2014 - Portland Winterhawks
- Silvertips Select 12 Prospects in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft - Everett Silvertips
- Americans Select Dragicevic Fourth Overall, Take 10 Skaters in 2020 WHL Bantam Draft - Tri-City Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince George Cougars Stories
- TELUS Donates $2,500 to the Virtual Teddy & Toque Toss
- Taylor Gauthier Named to Hockey Canada's World Junior Roster
- Cougars and the Salvation Army Announce Virtual Teddy & Toque Toss
- Koffer Invited to Czech Republic World Junior Selection Camp
- Koffer Invited to the Czech Republic's Karjala Cup Selection Camp