Tennessee Nips Jackson in Opener, 3-2
Jackson, Tenn. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, dropped a 3-2 decision to the Tennessee Smokies at The Ballpark at Jackson on Thursday. The loss snaps a five-game win streak for the Generals (22-17), with the Smokies (20-20) taking a 6-5 lead in the season series.
Jackson starter Matt Peacock continued his recent success, tossing five shutout innings with just one hit allowed to Tennessee. Peacock struck out five men while walking one, inducing ten groundouts on 62 pitches. In relief, things unraveled on Tyler Mark (1-1, 5.59 ERA), who conceded three runs on six hits in two innings of work, including a solo home run by opposing pitcher Oscar De La Cruz (1-1, 1.56 ERA). Lucas Luetge and Damien Magnifico each offered scoreless innings in the eighth and ninth to keep Jackson within striking distance.
The Generals offense was slow to find their form, but they broke through in the second inning with a walk, a hit batsman, an intentional free pass, and a one-out sacrifice fly by Ramon Hernandez. The Generals' first baseman came through in the clutch again in the seventh, smashing the first pitch he saw from De La Cruz over the left field fence for a solo homer. Unfortunately, that was as close as the Generals could get. Jackson put two men on the ninth inning with no outs, but a failed attempt to steal a base and a pair of strikeouts shut the book on Jackson's night. The Generals finished 0-for-7 with men in scoring position.
NEXT GENERALS GAME:
6:05 pm CT Friday (5/17) vs. Tennessee Smokies
The Ballpark at Jackson - Jackson, Tenn.
LHP Bryan Valdez (No Double-A action) vs. RHP Tyson Miller (2-1, 0.94 ERA)
BROADCAST: Jackson Generals Baseball Network
UP AND COMING AT
Generals vs. Tennessee Smokies
(AA, Chicago Cubs)
Wizard Night (Saturday, May 18)!
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from May 16, 2019
- Bettinger Fans Ten as Shuckers Seal Second Straight Shutout Winner - Biloxi Shuckers
- Tennessee Nips Jackson in Opener, 3-2 - Jackson Generals
- Lookouts Shut Down in Shutout - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Prevail in Extras to Snap Six-Game Skid - Mobile BayBears
- Guzman Strikes out 10, But Shrimp Lose 1-0 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Smokies Take Close Series Opener in Jackson - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Blank Jumbo Shrimp, 1-0 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp Game Notes, May 16 vs. Montgomery - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Ferrell Joins Shrimp on Rehab Assignment - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Generals Gameday: May 16 vs. Tennessee - Jackson Generals
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights May 16-20 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Muller Shines in Extra-Inning Win over Biscuits - Mississippi Braves
- Errors Haunt Biscuits in 4-2 Lost to M-Braves in Extras - Montgomery Biscuits
- Sweep: Smith, Takahashi Push Generals Past Mobile, 2-1 - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.