Tatis Jr. Homers Twice, But 'Riders Prevail in Extras
Frisco overcame a valiant San Antonio comeback, plating three runs in the 10th to win 5-2 Tuesday night at Wolff Stadium and snap an 11-game losing streak.
San Antonio got another well pitched game Tuesday, beginning with starter Logan Allen, who went six-plus innings during which the southpaw allowed just four hits and three walks, while fanning six. Allen's lone mistake came in the second when Eliezer Alvarez drilled a two-run homer to right for the game's first runs.
The Missions finally solved Allen's mound opponent, Ariel Jurado, in the sixth with Fernando Tatis Jr's solo homer onto the berm in left. Jurado, who left with the 2-1 lead in the seventh, allowed just four hits and a walk on the night.
After Brady Feigl replaced Jurado and retired the next four Missions, Frisco called on lefty Adam Choplick to snap the club's lengthy losing streak. However, the victory plans were put on temporary hold, as Tatis Jr. led off the ninth by drilling Choplick's 1-1 pitch deep over the wall in right center.
Choplick would avoid further trouble in the ninth as the game moved into extra innings. The RoughRiders took advantage of the new extra-inning rules in the top of the 10th against lefty Jose Castillo (1-1). After a sac bunt moved placed runner Austin O'Banion to third, Michael O'Neill put Frisco up for good when he ripped a double down the left-field line. The 'Riders would add two more in the frame courtesy of RBI-singles from Hunter Cole and Luis Yander La O.
Choplick (1-0) came back out for the 10th, and was much sharper, striking out the side and finally putting an end to the Frisco losing streak.
San Antonio (10-8) resumes its four-game series with Frisco (4-14) Wednesday on Military Appreciation Night presented by Dr Pepper. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM. Lefty Jerry Keel (1-0, 3.71) will take the hill for the Missions, while the 'Riders counter with right-hander Collin Wiles (0-1, 5.74).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 25, 2018
- Drillers Rained out in Arkansas - Tulsa Drillers
- Rain Postpones Wednesday Game - Arkansas Travelers
- First Responders Names to be Included on Special Riders Jerseys - Frisco RoughRiders
- Wednesday's Cardinals Game Postponed - Springfield Cardinals
- Naturals, Cardinals Postponed in Springfield - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- MiLB.tv: A Service We Like but Want to Love - OSC Original by Paul Reeths
- Helsley Ks 8, Cards Pitchers Allow Just 5 Hits in 3-1 Win over Naturals - Springfield Cardinals
- Frisco Needs Extras to End Skid - San Antonio Missions
- Hounds Silence CC Bats - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Tatis Jr. Homers Twice, But 'Riders Prevail in Extras - San Antonio Missions
- 10th-Inning Heroics Back Jurado's Masterpiece as Riders Defeat Missions - Frisco RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- 9th Inning Rally Leads Missions to 8-3 Win
- Missions Shutout Cards in Series Opener
- Missions-Drillers Series Finale Postponed Due to Unplayable Conditions
- Tulsa Shuts Down San Antonio on Star Wars Night
- Missions Drop Series Opener Despite Racking up a Season-High 17 Strikeouts