Tastad Notches First Pair of WHL Points, Blades Beat Warriors 4-3
RELEASE THE TASMANIAN DEVIL: Rookie defenceman Morgan Tastad's first career WHL goal stood as the game-winner in the Saskatoon Blades 4-3 victory in Moose Jaw against the Warriors Saturday.
It's full circle for the 17-year-old defenceman who made his WHL debut at the Moose Jaw Events Centre on Mar. 26th. Tastad notched his first career point with an assist on the opening goal of the game and now has two points in 25 games this season.
Saturday marked Blades forward Rowan Calvert's 100th career WHL game and got to do so in his hometown. The Moose Jaw, SK product also tallied an assist on the first goal, giving him nine points (3G, 6A) in 30 games.
Captain Trevor Wong and Anaheim Ducks draft pick Egor Sidorov both dished two helpers in the victory, while Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Fraser Mintern and 20-year-old forward Easton Armstrong found the back of the net.
Rookie goalie Evan Gardner was sturdy between the pipes stopping 30 shots, including an unbelievable save in the third period to keep the Blades in it. Gardner's record improves to 7-4-0-0.
The Blades are winners of five straight games, and head into the final game of a three-in-three weekend atop the Eastern Conference with a 21-8-1-0 record.
NEXT GAME: The Blades cap off a three-games-in-three-nights stretch tomorrow at SaskTel Centre against the Calgary Hitmen.
Puck drop is 4:00pm.
Images from this story
Saskatoon Blades celebrate win
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 9, 2023
- Wheat Kings Pile up Six, Win Fifth Straight Over Blazers - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oil Kings Edged by Tigers - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 13,542 Teddy Bears Fly as Hawks Dominate T-Birds 7-2 - Portland Winterhawks
- Warriors Drop Tight Battle Against Blades on Saturday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Mistelbacher Magic Leads Broncos to Win Over Hurricanes - Swift Current Broncos
- Berge Records First Career Hat-Trick in 5-4 Loss - Regina Pats
- Tastad Notches First Pair of WHL Points, Blades Beat Warriors 4-3 - Saskatoon Blades
- Cougars Host Royals for Highly Anticipated Teddy and Toque Toss Night - Prince George Cougars
- Preview: Americans vs Wild - December 9 - Tri-City Americans
- Game Day Hub: December 9 vs. Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview: Game 29 at Edmonton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Preview: Oil Kings vs. Medicine Hat Tigers - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Americans End Skid by Topping Seattle - Tri-City Americans
- Silvertips Earn 4-1 Victory Over Vancouver on Teddy Bear Toss - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Take Opener of Home at Home with Edmonton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Catton, Roulette Each Log Four-Point Nights in 8-5 Loss to Winterhawks - Spokane Chiefs
- Stefan Stars as Hawks Top Chiefs 8-5 - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals Earn Fourth Consecutive Win With 5-3 Victory Over Cougars - Prince George Cougars
- Penalties Hurt Broncos in Loss to Hurricanes - Swift Current Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saskatoon Blades Stories
- Blades' Goal Streak Comes to an End, Blanked by Rebels at Home
- Blades' Late Spark Not Enough to Comeback vs Wheat Kings
- Gardner Named WHL Rookie of the Week for Second Time this Month
- Suzdalev Erupts for Three Points, Blades Beat Wheat Kings for 11th Straight Win
- Blades Rally for Tenth Straight Win, Beat Tigers in Overtime