T-Bones Lead Early, Finish Strong against Goldeyes
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - In a quick two-hour, ten-minute game and their fourth win of pre-season play, the Kansas City T-Bones defeated the Winnipeg Goldeyes 4-1 at T-Bones Stadium Monday evening.
Kansas City locked in a lead early with a busy bottom of the first inning, scoring three runs off three hits. Lead-off batters Keith Curcio and Dexter Kjerstad both reached base with singles, putting runners at the corners. The T-Bones grabbed the lead when Winnipeg catcher Gavin Stupienski overshot second base trying to throw out base runner Kjerstad, allowing Curcio to score. Adam Brett Walker followed with an RBI triple to deep center field, bringing home Kjerstad.
But the T-Bones weren't finished yet. With one out, a sacrifice fly by center fielder Nick Torres brought home Walker, putting the T-Bones up 3-0.
T-Bones right-hander Hunter Adkins pitched three consecutive three-up, three-down innings with two strikeouts in the first and one in the second. In the T-Bones half of the third inning, Dexter Kjerstad slammed the first pitch of the inning by Winnipeg right-hander Charlie Rosario over the left field fence for a home run, upping the score 4-0 Kansas City.
But Winnipeg answered back in the top of the fourth inning with a triple by first baseman Reynaldo Rodriguez just inside the left field fence at the 411 sign. Reggie Abercrombie followed with an RBI single, bringing home Rodriguez for the Goldeyes' only run of the game.
Right-handed pitcher Travis Hissong came in to start the top of the sixth for the T-Bones, retiring the first three batters he faced. Kyle Hansen worked the seventh inning for the T-Bones, allowing no hits and striking out two of the three batters he faced.
T-Bones shortstop Angel Rosa woke up the crowd in the seventh inning with a home run ball off Winnipeg left hander Kevin McGovern that landed in the Goldeyes' bullpen, making the score 5-1. Jackson Lowery and Julio Eusebio each worked a 1-2-3 inning to finish off the game for Kansas City.
T-Bones pitching allowed just one hit in the last five innings of the game, and the T-Bones went on to win 5-1.
Spring training continues Tuesday night at T-Bones Stadium with the second game of the three-game series against Winnipeg beginning at 7:05 p.m. The T-Bones are now 4-1 in pre-season play.
Season, group, mini-plans and nightly party suites are on sale now and can be purchased by visiting the Box Office at T-Bones Stadium. Call the Box Office at 913-328-5618 or purchase and print at www.tbonesbaseball.com. Box office hours are 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday - Friday and 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturday. For additional information or interview requests, members of the media may contact the T-Bones Media Relations Department at (817) 739-3693. Stay tuned to www.tbonesbaseball.com. and the T-Bones Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the offseason. Home opening night is May 22 when the T-Bones host Gary SouthShore at T-Bones Stadium at 7:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 15, 2018
- Goldeyes Even Spring Series on T-Bones - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Big Inning Boosts Wingnuts to Exhibition Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Set 23 Man Roster - Kansas City T-Bones
- 2018 Opening Day Roster Is Set - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Wrap-Up Exhibition Season with 6-1 Win over Saltdogs, Season Starts Friday in Gary - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Set Opening Night Roster - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers Grind out Victory in Pre Season Finale - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Lead Early, Finish Strong against Goldeyes - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City T-Bones Stories
- T-Bones Perio Jr Named Championship MVP
- T-Bones Win with a Grand Slam; Chance to Clinch Championship Title Saturday
- T-Bones Host American Association Championship Games
- T-Bones Return Home for Championship Series
- Saints Make T-Bones Suffer in Game 2 of Championship Series