Saints Wrap-Up Exhibition Season with 6-1 Win over Saltdogs, Season Starts Friday in Gary
ST. PAUL, MN - Beginning Friday no one will remember what the St. Paul Saints did during the exhibition season. In just their second pre-season game, and first against an American Association opponent, Saints pitching gave up just five hits while the offense pounded out 12 en route to a 6-1 victory at CHS Field in front of 4,506, in a 12-inning game that got both teams a little extra work for their players
Saints starter Jeff Malm was perfect in his 3.0 innings of work. The Saints utilized seven more pitchers no one, but Matt Solter, pitching more than 1.0 inning. Solter, who is scheduled to be in the starting rotation for the Saints, faced the minimum over his 3.0 innings of work allowing just one infield single.
The Saints offense struck first in the second when Dante Bichette Jr. singled to left. He moved to second on a wild pitched and advanced to third on a single by Justin O'Conner. A sacrifice fly from Kes Carter gave the Saints a 1-0 lead.
It remained that way until the fourth when LJ Kalawaia led off with a single for the Saltdogs against former Major Leaguer Tom Wilhelmsen. Nathaniel Maggio followed with a single to put runners at the corners and nobody out. Wilhelmsen fanned Brandon Jacobs for the first out. Wilhelmsen then struck out Curt Smith, but on strike three the ball skipped by O'Conner allowing Kalawaia to score tying the game at one. Wilhelmsen finished his day by striking out Chase Simpson.
It stayed even until the eighth when the Saints got their first home run of the day, a solo shot from Noah Perio Jr. to make it 2-1.
In the ninth Josh Allen led off with a triple and Richard Prigatano made it 4-1 with a two-run homer down the left field line.
The Saints added a run in the 10th on a double play ground out by JJ Gould that scored Perio Jr. and one in the 11th on an RBI double from Brady Shoemaker.
The Saints begin the 2018 season on Friday, May 18 at 7:10 p.m. at the U.S. Steel Yard against the Gary SouthShore Railcats. The Saints play their first game at CHS Field on Monday, May 21 at 3:05 p.m. against the Chicago Dogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 15, 2018
- Goldeyes Even Spring Series on T-Bones - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Big Inning Boosts Wingnuts to Exhibition Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Set 23 Man Roster - Kansas City T-Bones
- 2018 Opening Day Roster Is Set - Sioux City Explorers
- Saints Wrap-Up Exhibition Season with 6-1 Win over Saltdogs, Season Starts Friday in Gary - St. Paul Saints
- Goldeyes Set Opening Night Roster - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers Grind out Victory in Pre Season Finale - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Lead Early, Finish Strong against Goldeyes - Kansas City T-Bones
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Oops We Did It Again: Saints Awarded American Association Organization of the Year for Fourth Straight Season
- Saints Documentary, For the Fun of the Game, Selected for Participation in Baseball Film Festival
- Saints Bid for Championship Falls Short in 5-3 Loss to T-Bones
- Saints on Brink of Elimination After Six Run Sixth, Lose Game 3 of Finals 7-3
- Funky and Cold, Medina Dazzles in 6-0 Saints Victory; Finals Even at a Game Apiece