Switchbacks Advance to Third Round of US Open Cup with Win over FC Denver
Colorado Springs, CO - The Switchbacks win a wild Lamar Hunt US Open Cup game on Wednesday night to advance to the third round of the tournament.
Looking to build on Saturday's win against USL expansion side Las Vegas Lights FC, The Switchbacks stayed at home to play FC Denver in the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup on Wednesday night. The game started with both teams trading possession before the Switchbacks came close on a couple of opportunities from free kicks in dangerous positions. FC Denver got on the board first when Fernando Magallanes headed the ball into the back of the net in the 36th minute and that's how the game went into the half.
The second half got started with a couple substitutions for the Switchbacks in the first half with Saeed Robinson and Luke Vercollone coming on. In the 55th minute, Pascal Eboussi got his head on to the end of a free kick from Josh Suggs to equalize the game. Saeed Robinson made an immediate impact, setting up Uriel Macias' first professional goal just 3 minutes after the first. With 13 minutes to full time, FC Denver was awarded a penalty kick and Cesar Castillo scored from the spot to tie the game once again. And in the 86th minute, the Switchbacks were also awarded a penalty after Saeed Robinson dribbled down the middle of the defense and was taken down in the box. Jordan Burt stepped up and buried the game-winning penalty. In the final minute of stoppage time, Moise Pouaty made a diving save to preserve the win for the Switchbacks.
The Switchbacks will now travel to face the Oklahoma City Energy on Saturday, May 19th before traveling to Texas to face San Antonio FC in the third round of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup next Wednesday. The Switchbacks return home on May 26th to face Saint Louis where the first 500 fans in attendance will receive a Ziggy Bobblehead courtesy of FOX 21. Tickets start at just $12 and are available here. Fans 21+ can get $1 beer the first 30 minutes when gates open at 5:00 PM.
For media pass requests, please contact Communications Manager, Joel Huber.
Wolde Harris - "We came out flat in the first half which we can't do against a USL opponent. We fought back in the second half after we made two impactful substitutions. Saeed Robinson came on and got an assist and set up the game-winning penalty kick. Luke's experience stabilized the team even after the second goal."
Uriel Macias - "That's my first game playing for 90 minutes and I was happy we got the win."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from May 17, 2018
- FC Cincinnati Game Preview: vs. North Carolina FC - FC Cincinnati
- Rowdies Part Ways with Head Coach Stuart Campbell - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Kickers Advance on Penalties over Reading in Open Cup - Richmond Kickers
- Indy Eleven Hosts Bethlehem Steel FC - Indy Eleven
- Lights FC Set to Unveil World's Largest Soccer Scarf at Saturday's Home Match at Cashman Field - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Nashville Selected as Host City for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC to Host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup on May 23 - San Antonio FC
- Charleston Battery to Host Elm City United in Third Round of Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Lights FC Advances in U.S. Open Cup After Offensive Outburst Sparks 4-2 Victory over FC Tucson - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Open Cup: Foxes Beat Orange County FC in Extra Time to Advance to Third Round - Fresno FC
- Roughnecks Ousted from Open Cup with 4-3 Loss - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Nashville SC Advances in 2nd Round of U.S. Open Cup - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Ends U.S. Open Cup Stint to Mississippi Brilla FC, 1-0 - Indy Eleven
- Switchbacks Advance to Third Round of US Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC Stories
- Luke Vercollone Announces Retirement from Professional Soccer
- Two Road Goals Earn Switchbacks FC Draw in Final Game of 2018
- Switchbacks FC Drop 3-0 Result on the Road to Fresno FC
- Moise Pouaty Named to USL Team of the Week Bench
- Switchbacks FC Defeat Real Monarchs 2-0 on the Road