Nashville SC Advances in 2nd Round of U.S. Open Cup
NASHVILLE - Nashville SC survived and advanced on Wednesday night in its U.S. Open Cup debut with a 2-0 win over NPSL side Inter Nashville FC as Tucker Hume netted a brace for the winners.
90 in a Nutshell
Nashville SC was on the front foot most of the night and it paid off early. A pass from forward Robin Shroot played Hume in alone and the 6'5" striker rounded the keeper for the easy finish in the 19' minute.
The teams went into the locker room at 1-0 despite Nashville SC dominating play in the first half. Mother Nature intervened early in the second half, forcing a lightning delay in the 55' minute. Play resumed following a 41-minute delay and Nashville continued to attack. The dam finally broke in the 89' minute as again it was Shroot who found Hume. This time it was bar-down for the Tar Heel to seal the win and the 3rd round appearance.
19' NSH - Tucker Hume assited by Robin Shroot
89' NSH - Tucker Hume assited by Robin Shroot
Possession - Nashville SC 67.0%, Inter Nashville FC 33.0%
Nashville dominated possession and thus the amount of chances. They kept a stranglehold on the game as Inter Nashville failed to put a shot on goal.
In a shocking upset, PDL side Mississippi Brilla beat Indy Eleven of the USL to advance to take on Nashville SC in the third round. The Brilla scored in the 81' minute to win 1-0.
Nashville has the weekend off of USL play and will play Mississippi Brilla next Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m. at Vanderbilt Soccer Complex. Tickets will be available online.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from May 17, 2018
- FC Cincinnati Game Preview: vs. North Carolina FC - FC Cincinnati
- Rowdies Part Ways with Head Coach Stuart Campbell - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Kickers Advance on Penalties over Reading in Open Cup - Richmond Kickers
- Indy Eleven Hosts Bethlehem Steel FC - Indy Eleven
- Lights FC Set to Unveil World's Largest Soccer Scarf at Saturday's Home Match at Cashman Field - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Nashville Selected as Host City for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC to Host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup on May 23 - San Antonio FC
- Charleston Battery to Host Elm City United in Third Round of Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Lights FC Advances in U.S. Open Cup After Offensive Outburst Sparks 4-2 Victory over FC Tucson - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Open Cup: Foxes Beat Orange County FC in Extra Time to Advance to Third Round - Fresno FC
- Roughnecks Ousted from Open Cup with 4-3 Loss - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Nashville SC Advances in 2nd Round of U.S. Open Cup - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Ends U.S. Open Cup Stint to Mississippi Brilla FC, 1-0 - Indy Eleven
- Switchbacks Advance to Third Round of US Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC to Renew Rivalry with FC Cincinnati in First Round of USL Cup Playoffs
- Nashville SC Draws USL Leaders in Thrilling 3-3 in Regular Season Finale
- Nashville SC Clinches Playoffs in Inaugural Season
- Dramatic Season Finale on Tap for Nashville SC on Oktoberfest Weekend
- Promotions to Highlight Nashville SC's Final Home Game of Regular Season