Open Cup: Foxes Beat Orange County FC in Extra Time to Advance to Third Round
CLOVIS, Calif. - It was an extra-time thriller at Lamonica Stadium, but Fresno FC pulled through to defeat Orange County FC 2-0 in the second round of the 2018 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
At the 95th minute, Jose Cuevas dribbled into the box and laid off a pass to Terran Campbell who was near the penalty area and struck it one time to give the Foxes the lead. The visitors nearly answered right back with an equalizer, only to see the volley shot bounce off the top of the cross bar.
In the second half of extra time, however, the Zorros got some insurance as Renato Bustamante blasted in the goal from six yards out on an assist from Danny Barrera.
The Foxes advance to next week's third round of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup against Sporting AZ FC in Arizona. Sporting AZ FC upset Phoenix Rising FC, 5-4 in penalty kicks.
Fresno FC controlled possession for most of regulation and created a several opportunities that almost found the net. The Foxes came close in the 36th minute when Noah Verhoeven sent in a low cross across the face of goal that slipped behind the defense and just out of the reach of several teammates. A few moments later, the Foxes raised the alarm when Cuevas fired a shot from 25 yards out only to see it pushed over the crossbar by the fingertips of Orange County FC goalkeeper Hugo Gomez.
Cuevas also had a strong chance at 22nd minute, when Fresno earned a handball just outside the 18 along the right wing. Cuevas lined up behind the set piece, but his service sailed just over the head of Rodolfo. The Foxes had another attempt near the final ticks of regulation when Bustamante went down on a hard tackle from Kleyner Bejarano in the half-moon that drew the latter a yellow card. However, the free-kick shot from Cuevas went into the wall and the scoreless draw would hold into overtime.
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: TERRAN CAMPBELL, F
#USOC: Fresno FC vs. Orange County FC: Match Photos
Lamar Hunt US Open Cup | Third round: Sporting AZ FC vs. Fresno FC | Date: TBD | Site: TBD |
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from May 17, 2018
- FC Cincinnati Game Preview: vs. North Carolina FC - FC Cincinnati
- Rowdies Part Ways with Head Coach Stuart Campbell - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Kickers Advance on Penalties over Reading in Open Cup - Richmond Kickers
- Indy Eleven Hosts Bethlehem Steel FC - Indy Eleven
- Lights FC Set to Unveil World's Largest Soccer Scarf at Saturday's Home Match at Cashman Field - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Nashville Selected as Host City for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC to Host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup on May 23 - San Antonio FC
- Charleston Battery to Host Elm City United in Third Round of Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Lights FC Advances in U.S. Open Cup After Offensive Outburst Sparks 4-2 Victory over FC Tucson - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Open Cup: Foxes Beat Orange County FC in Extra Time to Advance to Third Round - Fresno FC
- Roughnecks Ousted from Open Cup with 4-3 Loss - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Nashville SC Advances in 2nd Round of U.S. Open Cup - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Ends U.S. Open Cup Stint to Mississippi Brilla FC, 1-0 - Indy Eleven
- Switchbacks Advance to Third Round of US Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Real Monarchs Slc | 7 p.m. Tonight | Chukchansi Park
- Liga Mx Friendly Between Pumas and Monarcas Morelia Canceled
- Match Day | Fresno FC at Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Last-Second Equalizer Lifts Fresno FC to Draw against Portland
- Match Day | Fresno FC vs. Portland Timbers 2