San Antonio FC to Host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup on May 23
SAN ANTONIO, TX - San Antonio FC will host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in the third round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, May 23 at Toyota Field at 7:30 p.m. SAFC advanced to the third round after defeating the Midland Sockers (NPSL) in the second round 4-0. Tickets to the match are on sale now, and can be purchased by visiting SanAntonioFC.com or by calling 210-444-5657.
San Antonio has faced the Switchbacks four times in USL play, compiling a 1-2-1 record against the club. The last time these two teams faced off, SAFC fell 0-1 in June of 2017 as Colorado Springs brought an end to San Antonio's record 14-match unbeaten streak which began at the start of the 2017 season.
Last season, San Antonio FC advanced to the third round of the Open Cup, defeating the Houston Dutch Lions (NPSL) prior to falling to the Tulsa Roughnecks (USL) in penalty kicks on the road. In 2016, SAFC advanced to the fourth round of the tournament before being eliminated by the Houston Dynamo (MLS). The match at Toyota Field next week marks just the second San Antonio FC Open Cup game to be hosted at home after the club defeated the now-defunct Corinthians FCSA 3-1 in May of 2016.
San Antonio FC Season Ticket Members will receive tickets to the Open Cup match for free, and can redeem by logging into their account manager. The general public can purchase tickets to the third-round game, starting at just $10. The Open Cup third round will also be Dollar Drink Night presented by Bud Light, which includes beers from the new Tap Inn craft beer trailer on the east side of the stadium.
The Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup is the oldest national soccer competition in American history. Founded in 1914, the knockout-style competition consists of clubs from all tiers of the American soccer pyramid, including MLS, NASL, USL, PDL, NPSL and amateur clubs. In 1999, the competition was named after Hunt who remains one of the most influential pioneers in American soccer history.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from May 17, 2018
- FC Cincinnati Game Preview: vs. North Carolina FC - FC Cincinnati
- Rowdies Part Ways with Head Coach Stuart Campbell - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Kickers Advance on Penalties over Reading in Open Cup - Richmond Kickers
- Indy Eleven Hosts Bethlehem Steel FC - Indy Eleven
- Lights FC Set to Unveil World's Largest Soccer Scarf at Saturday's Home Match at Cashman Field - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Nashville Selected as Host City for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC to Host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup on May 23 - San Antonio FC
- Charleston Battery to Host Elm City United in Third Round of Open Cup - Charleston Battery
- Lights FC Advances in U.S. Open Cup After Offensive Outburst Sparks 4-2 Victory over FC Tucson - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Open Cup: Foxes Beat Orange County FC in Extra Time to Advance to Third Round - Fresno FC
- Roughnecks Ousted from Open Cup with 4-3 Loss - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Nashville SC Advances in 2nd Round of U.S. Open Cup - Nashville SC
- Indy Eleven Ends U.S. Open Cup Stint to Mississippi Brilla FC, 1-0 - Indy Eleven
- Switchbacks Advance to Third Round of US Open Cup with Win over FC Denver - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Extends USL Unbeaten Streak to Five with 1-1 Draw against Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- San Antonio FC to Host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks in Third Round of U.S. Open Cup on May 23
- San Antonio FC Advances to Third Round of Open Cup with 4-0 Win over Midland
- San Antonio FC Visits Midland-Odessa Sockers FC in First Match of U.S. Open Cup Run
- San Antonio FC to Host Military Appreciation Night Presented by Toyota on May 19