Sundogs Edge Jacks in 5-4 Final
PRESCOTT VALLEY, AZ - A disallowed goal near the beginning of the third period and a late goal by Arizona's Patrick Shafer proved to be the difference in the Sundogs' 5-4 win over the Odessa Jackalopes on Tuesday night at Tim's Toyota Center.
Shafer's game-winner came with 1:53 remaining in the contest, when the puck ended up in the back of the net during a scramble in the goal crease.
During an Odessa rush early in the final period, a wrist shot by Mike Lesperance was knocked down by Arizona goaltender Levente Szuper. In a scamper for the rebound, Szuper ended up in the back of the net with the puck underneath him as play continued. The play was ruled no goal.
Both teams traded goals throughout the entire game as neither led by more than a goal all night. In the first period Odessa's Alex Dunn opened up the scoring before Cam Keith knotted the game up for Arizona. Both goals game in the period's final three minutes.
The see-saw battle continued in period two as Kenny Corupe made it 2-1, Odessa from the front of the net with 9:17 remaining. Arizona countered with back-to-back goals from Morgan MacLean with 6:31 to play. Tyler Butler scored on a slap shot at the left point with five seconds to go.
Darryl Bootland scored from the slot 3:53 into the third period to tie the game at 3-3. Corey Laurysen scored to make it 4-3, Arizona before Patrick Mbaraga knotted the game for Odessa again with 6:34 to play.
Szuper stopped 37 shots in the win for Arizona. Odessa's David McKee put together a 34-save night in the loss.
The Jackalopes close their five-game road trip on Friday when they visit the Texas Brahmas. Game time is set for 7:30 PM CST and the action can be heard on Classic Rock 102.1 FM.
The Odessa Jackalopes are the Central Hockey League affiliate for the NHL's New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers. The team is currently in the middle of its 14th season. Season tickets, mini-plans, and single game tickets are available by calling (432) 552-7825 or visiting jackalopes.org.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2011
- Mudbugs Out-Duel IceMen - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- PrairieThunder Defeats Fort Wayne 3-1 to Move Back into Third Place - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Robinson Film Center to Screen "The Mighty Ducks" - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gems Goaltender Jeff Jakaitis Moving up to the AHL - Dayton Gems
- Buck Nation, We Need Your Help - Laredo Bucks
- Allen Stays on Top of Yellowbook CHL Coaches Poll - CHL
- Gelinas' Heroics Lead Wichita Past Mudbugs - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- The Buck Stops Here: Brahmas Win Third Straight 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- RiverKings Claim Shootout Victory Over IceMen - Mississippi RiverKings
- MacDonald Collects Three Assists in Sundogs Home Debut as Arizona Holds off Odessa, 5-4 - Arizona Sundogs
- Sundogs Edge Jacks in 5-4 Final - Odessa Jackalopes
- Battochio Backstops Rush to Eleventh Straight Win with 3-0 Shutout of Colorado - Rapid City Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.