Stingrays Tie ECHL Record For Most Players With Point
January 25, 2010 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
The South Carolina Stingrays tied the ECHL record for most players with a
point in a game when all 15 skaters registered a point in an 8-5 win
against Reading on Jan. 22.
The Stingrays are the fourth team to have 15 skaters register a point and
the sixth team overall to have 15 players record a point in the 22-year
history of the league.
Johnstown had every player, including its starting goaltender, score a
point against Hampton Roads on Dec. 2, 1989, a mark that Erie tied against
Nashville on Nov. 15, 1991.
The first team to have 15 skaters register a point was Erie against
Greensboro on Nov. 27, 1992. The mark was tied by Knoxville against
Nashville on Jan. 26, 1996 and by Birmingham against Tallahassee on Mar.
Bruess (0g-3a), Gregg
Johnson (1g-2a) and Keith
Johnson (2g-1a) led the Stingrays with three points apiece while Zach
Jones (0g-2a), Trent
Campbell (1g-1a) and Michael
Dubuc (1g-1a) each had two points and Spencer
Carbery (1g-0a), Jay
Cascalenda (0g-1a), Grant
Farrell (0g-1a), Nate
Kiser (0g-1a), Nick
Klaren (0g-1a), Dain
Prewitt (1g-0a), Jake
Hauswirth (0g-1a), Rob
Ricci (1g-0a) and Matt
Scherer (0g-1a) all had one point.
Sellouts In Charlotte, Idaho, South Carolina Help Raise
The largest crowd of the season and four other sellouts helped the ECHL increase its sellouts to 27 and raise average attendance to 4,292 per game which is up 6.3 percent from last season.
Charlotte had the largest crowd of the year in the ECHL with 11,484 on Jan.
22. The Checkers, who had the previous season high with 10,980 on Dec. 26,
2009, are averaging 5,324 per game which ranks fifth in the league.
To purchase tickets for any ECHL game go to ECHL.com/tickets.shtml.
South Carolina set a team record and had the fourth-largest crowd of the
year in the league with 10,570 on Jan. 23 while Idaho had back-to-back
sellouts with 5,436 on Jan. 22 and 5,087 on Jan. 23.
Toledo had a sellout crowd of 8,000 on Jan. 23 to move into first in the
league in total attendance with 159,894 and average attendance with 5,922
per game. The Walleye have had seven sellouts which is second to Elmira
which leads the league with eight sellouts. The average attendance at Lucas
County Arena is up 50.8 percent from 2006-07 when the team played its last
season in the Toledo Sports Arena.
The third-longest tenured professional hockey league behind only the
National Hockey League and the American Hockey League, the ECHL is the only
minor professional hockey league to increase average attendance each of the
last two seasons. The Premier 'AA' Hockey League has averaged more than
4,000 fans each of the last five seasons and 17 times in the last 19 years
while drawing more than 3 million fans for 16 straight seasons.
Five returning teams are ahead of their average attendance from 2008-09 led
by Cincinnati with 21.3 percent. The Cyclones, who had a crowd of 6,485 on
Jan. 23, led minor professional hockey with a 36 percent increase in
2007-08 and ranked second a year ago with a 23 percent increase.
Elmira has raised its average 12 percent to 3,784 per game which is 98.6
percent of capacity at First Arena. The Jackals have had 27 sellouts since
joining the ECHL including a league-leading 14 in 2007-08 and five a year
ago which tied for the league lead.
Ontario is second in the league with 5,907 which is up from their inaugural
season in 2008-09 when they ranked second with 5,856 per game. Utah has
raised its average attendance by 1.8 percent to 3,722 per game.
Stockton is third in the league with 5,842 per game while Bakersfield is
fourth with 5,327 per game. The Thunder have led the league in attendance
each of their first four seasons and are trying to tie the league record of
five seasons set by Florida from 2000-05.
National Conference - West Division
* Alaska is fifth in the league on the penalty kill with 83.9 percent
* Alexandre Imbeault has a seven-game point streak (7g-7a).
* Aces visit Bakersfield on Wednesday, Ontario on Friday and Saturday and Stockton on Sunday.
* Idaho had back-to-back sellouts with 5,436 on Jan. 22 and 5,087 on Jan.
* Mark Derlago has a six-game point streak (5g-10a).
* Steelheads play at Bakersfield on Friday and Saturday and visit Ontario on Sunday.
* Utah is 44 percent (8-for-18) on the power play in its last three games and leads the ECHL with 23.7 percent (51-for-215).
* AJ Perry has six assists and nine points in his last three games.
* Grizzlies host Ontario on Monday and Las Vegas on Friday and Saturday.
Victoria Salmon Kings
* Victoria is 5-1-2 in its last eight road games to improve to 6-9-4 on the
* Olivier Latendresse has six assists and nine points in his last six games.
* Salmon Kings visit Stockton on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
National Conference - Pacific Division
* Bakersfield is 8-0-0 when leading after the first period and 15-0-0 when leading after the second period.
* Stephane Goulet had his point streak snapped at 12 games (10g-8a), but recorded two points (1g-1a) in his next game at Stockton on Jan. 24.
* Condors host Alaska on Wednesday and Idaho on Friday and Saturday.
Las Vegas Wranglers
* Michael Ouzas leads the ECHL with 918 saves and 1,958 minutes played.
* Alex Bourret has four goals and nine points in his first five games with the Wranglers.
* Wranglers play at Utah on Friday and Saturday.
* Ontario will wear special jerseys on Friday that will be auctioned to
benefit the Inland Empire chapter of the American Red Cross.
* Brian Kilburg recorded his first professional point with an assist in a 5-2 loss at Utah on Jan. 23.
* Reign host Alaska on Friday and Saturday before hosting Idaho on Sunday.
* Stockton is third in the ECHL with an average of 5,842 fans per game.
* James Bates had his seventh multi-point game with two assists against Alaska on Jan. 23.
* Thunder host Victoria on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday and Alaska on Sunday.
American Conference - South Division
* Charlotte had a league season-high 11,484 fans against Wheeling on Jan. 22.
* Daniel Tkaczuk has a six-game point streak (2g-8a) and Michel Leveille has a five-game point streak (2g-7a).
* Checkers play at Cincinnati on Wednesday, at Johnstown on Friday and Sunday and at Reading on Saturday.
* Barry Brust has won his last six starts and is tied with Mike Morrison for the team lead with nine wins.
* Ernie Hartlieb is Everblades' all-time leader with 312 games.
* Everblades host Trenton on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
* Gwinnett leads the league in road penalty kill with 88.8 percent (95-for-107).
* Matt Caruana has a four-game point streak (2g-3a).
* Gladiators play at Reading on Wednesday, at Elmira on Friday and Saturday, and at Reading on Sunday.
South Carolina Stingrays
* South Carolina had a team record 10,570 fans for its game against Reading on Jan. 23.
* Keith Johnson (2g-1a), Gregg Johnson (1g-2a) and Trevor Bruess (3a) each had three points and all 15 Stingrays recorded a point in 8-5 win against Reading on Jan. 22.
* Stingrays host Wheeling on Tuesday before playing at Cincinnati on Friday and at Wheeling on Saturday and Sunday.
American Conference - North Division
* Cincinnati is one of only three teams with 12 or more home wins and 12 or
more road wins.
* Jeremy Smith is 5-2-0 with a goals-against average of 2.45 and a save percentage of .907 in January.
* Cyclones host Johnstown on Monday, Charlotte on Wednesday and South Carolina on Friday before playing at Kalamazoo on Saturday.
* Kalamazoo has won five straight home games to improve to 14-6-2 at Wings Stadium.
* Jon Landry (2g-1a) and Ryan McGinnis (0g-4a) each have three-game point streaks.
* K-Wings host Cincinnati on Saturday.
* Toledo is second in the ECHL with 16 home wins.
* Maxime Tanguay has scored eight of his 15 goals against Kalamazoo including two at Wings Stadium on Jan. 24.
* Walleye play at Johnstown on Saturday and at Elmira on Sunday.
* Wheeling is tied for fifth in the league with seven shorthand goals.
* Blair Yaworski has scored the game-winning goal in three of Wheeling's last four victories.
* Nailers play at South Carolina on Tuesday before hosting the Stingrays on Saturday and Sunday.
American Conference - East Division
* Elmira leads the ECHL with 3.83 goals per game.
* Brennan Turner leads the league in plus-minus rating with +27.
* Jackals host Gwinnett on Friday and Saturday and Toledo on Sunday.
* Johnstown is 26.9 percent (7-for-26) on the power play in the last four
* Chanse Fitzpatrick has six points (4g-2a) in his last four games.
* Chiefs visit Cincinnati on Monday and host Charlotte on Friday and Sunday and Toledo on Saturday.
* Reading is 8-0-0 against Trenton after 4-3 win on Jan. 18.
* Marc Cavosie scored with 1.2 seconds remaining on Jan. 18, the latest regulation game winner in team history.
* Royals host Gwinnett on Wednesday and Sunday and Charlotte on Saturday.
* Trenton had season highs with six goals and 3,682 fans in 6-3 win over
Johnstown on Jan. 22.
* Rookie Dan Charleston had four points (1g, 3a) in his second game as a Devil on Jan. 22.
* Devils visit Florida on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 25, 2010
- Reign Shuts Out Grizzlies, 4-0 - Ontario Reign
- Grizzlies Fall 4-0 To Ontario - Utah Grizzlies
- Murray Carries Johnstown To 5-1 Win Over Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Popular "Teddy Bear Toss" Returns Saturday - Stockton Thunder
- Condors In The Community: Baby Cal To Visit Maricopa Head Start - Bakersfield Condors
- Stingrays Tie ECHL Record For Most Players With Point - ECHL
- Condors Weekly: Two Wins Keep Big Division Lead Intact - Bakersfield Condors
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Wheeling's Beauregard Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- Zaba Becomes 431st ECHL Player To Reach NHL - ECHL
- Alaska's Doyle Named Reebok Hockey ECHL Goaltender Of The Week - ECHL
- Everblades Post Perfect Week, Extend Winning Streak To Five - Florida Everblades
- Electrifying Jackals Return Home - Elmira Jackals
- Doyle Named ECHL Goaltender Of The Week For January 11-17 - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Set New Team Single-Game Attendance Record - South Carolina Stingrays
- Reading Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- Cyclones Host Three This Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Grizzlies Add Veteran D-Man Chris Allen - Utah Grizzlies
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.