Stingers Sneak Past Honkers
(Rochester, Minn.) - The Willmar Stingers were just able to edge out the Rochester Honkers 4-2 Thursday at Bill Taunton Stadium. The division leading Stingers improve to 23-11 in the second half and 45-24 overall. The Honkers snapped a two-game winning streak and fall to 16-17 and 33-36.
The Honkers were able to get out to an early lead in the first as Nate Webb (UC Riverside) led off the contest with a solo home run. For Webb, it was his fourth home run of the year and the second game in a row in which he has homered in.
Willmar was able to respond and tie the game at one in the second. Shea Kramer (Utah) singled to bring home the equalizing run for the Stingers.
In the fourth, Kramer gave Willmar a 2-1 lead by driving a sacrifice fly. Willmar extended their lead in the sixth on a two-run home run off the bat of Jayson Newman (Cal State Northridge) to give the Stingers a 4-1 lead.
The Honkers fought back in the seventh. Christian Robinson (Stanford) doubled to bring home Michael Michalak (Illinois) and cut Willmar's lead to 4-2.
Honkers starting pitcher Logan Nissen (Bethany Lutheran) was tagged with his first loss of the year. Nissen tossed four innings surrendering two runs on four hits. Ryan Dorney (St. Martin's) came in relief to work two innings and give up two runs on two hits. Just one of the runs was an earned run. Jack Nelson (St. Marys) pitched two scoreless innings to keep the Honkers in the game.
Willmar starting pitcher Louie Varland (Concordia-St. Paul) picked up his fourth win of the summer. Varland worked six innings giving up one run on three hits.
The Honkers are back at Bill Taunton Stadium Friday to take on the same Willmar Stingers. The two teams probable pitchers are to be determined. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2018
- Huskies Struggles Continue in Waterloo - Duluth Huskies
- Mallards Fall in Bottom of the Ninth, 3-2 - Madison Mallards
- Stingers Hold of Rochester with 4-2 Victory - Willmar Stingers
- Bullfrogs Walk-Off on the Mallards - Green Bay Booyah
- Dawnoven Smith, Bucks Walk off Duluth 5-4 - Waterloo Bucks
- Rox Roll at Rock Pile for Third Straight Win - St. Cloud Rox
- Stingers Sneak Past Honkers - Rochester Honkers
- Mallards Make Final Trip to Green Bay - Madison Mallards
- Rafters Look to Clinch Winning Series over Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Win 9-6, Return for Final Homestand of the Season Thursday and Friday - St. Cloud Rox
- Bombers Win Season Series with Rafters After Fourth Straight Sweep - Battle Creek Bombers
- Down to Their Final Strike, Stingers Don't Give Up - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Fall to Bombers by One in Series Finale - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Huskies Heartbroken Again by Honkers - Duluth Huskies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.