Stiever's Sensational Start Leads Dash Past Woodies
Winston-Salem, N.C. - Jonathan Stiever was fantastic on the mound for the Dash, delivering seven shutout innings, to lead Winston-Salem past Down East, 3-0, Saturday.
The Wood Ducks (18-12, 68-32) get shut out for just the fourth time this season, but for the second time in six days against Winston-Salem (13-17, 50-43).
Stiever (win, 3-3) was excellent from the start, striking out the side in the first inning. He retired the final 13 batters he faced, and gave up just two hits, while matching a career-high nine strikeouts. He records his sixth consecutive quality start.
The only threat against him came in the third inning, when the Woodies loaded the bases. Josh Altmann was hit by a pitch, and Franklin Rollin and Sam Huff reached on back-to-back two-out singles, but Diosbel Arias flew out to end the threat.
The Dash then jumped on the board in the fourth inning. Steele Walker singled to center, and then Craig Dedelow bunted for a hit. A flyout to center pushed Walker to third base, and he came around to score right after on a sacrifice fly from Jameson Fisher to make it 1-0.
The Dash added on in the sixth against Alex Eubanks. Dedelow drew a walk to lead off the inning, and then Zach Remillard doubled off the glove of Sherten Apostel at third base. Fisher then followed with a double to right-center to score a pair, and push the Dash lead to 3-0. Fisher drove in all three runs in the contest.
Eubanks (loss 8-3) gave up three runs on nine hits over six innings. He walked two and struck out four, recording his fourth quality start of the season.
Francisco Villegas and Cole Uvila each tossed a perfect inning in relief for the Woodies, who came to the plate down three in the ninth. Rollin and Huff each worked walks, but the Jose Nin (save, 9) was able to buckle down and retire the side to end the ballgame.
The Woodies and Dash play the middle game of their three game series Sunday at 2 p.m. Down East will send righty Noah Bremer (1-0, 3.00) to the mound to face off with Dash right-hander Kade McClure (2-1, 1.83). The broadcast will begin at 1:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online on 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Woodpeckers Split Thrilling Doubleheader with Nationals - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- P-Nats Split Wild Twin Bill with Woodpeckers - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Lose Lead Late in Loss to Red Sox - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Blue Rocks Take Series Opener 6-2 in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Stiever Dominant in Dash's Shutout Win over Wood Ducks - Winston-Salem Dash
- Bullpen Shuts Down Hillcats - Frederick Keys
- Cumberland Blast Leads Frederick Past Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Stiever's Sensational Start Leads Dash Past Woodies - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wilmington Tops Mudcats for Ninth Straight Time - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- July 20 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- July 20 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 20 vs. Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Turang and Silva Homer as Mudcats Split De Facto Doubleheader with Pelicans - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans Split Suspended Game, Seven-Inning Contest with Carolina - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Schedule
- Fayetteville Uses Four Run Seventh To Advance To Championship
- September 8 Game Information
- CLDS Tied 2-2 After Down East, Fayetteville Split Double-Header