Stiever Dominant in Dash's Shutout Win over Wood Ducks
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Jonathan Stiever earned his sixth straight quality start by striking out nine across seven scoreless innings on Saturday night, leading the Dash to a 3-0 victory over the Down East Wood Ducks at BB&T Ballpark.
Stiever (3-3), who was selected in the fifth round of the 2018 MLB Draft, delivered his best outing in the Dash (13-17, 51-43) purple. The right-hander allowed just two hits and tied a career-high by striking out nine Wood Ducks (18-12, 68-32) hitters.
Winston-Salem struck first against Down East starter Alex Eubanks (8-3) in the bottom of the fourth. Steele Walker got the inning started by lining a single into center field before Craig Dedelow laid down a bunt single to put runners at first and second. The next batter, Zach Remillard, flied out into center field, allowing Walker to tag up and reach third. With runners at the corners, Jameson Fisher hit a sacrifice fly, bringing home Walker to make it 1-0.
The Dash added to their lead in the bottom of the sixth. To lead off the frame, Dedelow drew a walk. Then, Remillard hit a ground ball that Wood Ducks third baseman Sherten Apostel dove for, but the ball caremed off his glove allowing Dedelow to reach third and Remillard to reach second with an infield double.
Following Remillard's double, Fisher ripped a double of his own into right-center field. The base hit allowed both Remillard and Dedelow to score, pushing the lead to 3-0.
In relief of Stiever, Luis Ledo pitched a perfect eighth inning while racking up two strikeouts. Meanwhile, Jose Nin worked around trouble to pitch a scoreless ninth and earn the save.
The Dash continue their three-game set with the Wood Ducks on Sunday afternoon. Right-hander Kade McClure (2-1, 1.83 ERA) will take the hill for Winston-Salem against fellow righty Noah Bremer (1-0, 3.00 ERA). First pitch is set for 2 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App.
Sunday's contest will be a Lowes Foods Family Sunday. Kids Run the Bases, presented by New Balance Winston-Salem, will follow Saturday's game and Sunday's game. The series with Down East concludes with a Free Food Monday with free hot dogs and fries available until 8:30 p.m. and corn dogs while supplies last. For tickets and more information call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Woodpeckers Split Thrilling Doubleheader with Nationals - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- P-Nats Split Wild Twin Bill with Woodpeckers - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Lose Lead Late in Loss to Red Sox - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Blue Rocks Take Series Opener 6-2 in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Stiever Dominant in Dash's Shutout Win over Wood Ducks - Winston-Salem Dash
- Bullpen Shuts Down Hillcats - Frederick Keys
- Cumberland Blast Leads Frederick Past Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Stiever's Sensational Start Leads Dash Past Woodies - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wilmington Tops Mudcats for Ninth Straight Time - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- July 20 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- July 20 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 20 vs. Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Turang and Silva Homer as Mudcats Split De Facto Doubleheader with Pelicans - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans Split Suspended Game, Seven-Inning Contest with Carolina - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.