Pelicans Split Suspended Game, Seven-Inning Contest with Carolina
ZEBULON, N.C. - The Myrtle Beach Pelicans dropped the Carolina Mudcats 5-1 in the conclusion of a suspended game from Five County Stadium before falling 3-2 in the final game of the series on Friday.
On Thursday, the game between the Pelicans (16-13, 37-59) and Mudcats (14-15, 53-45) was suspended due to heavy rain and wet grounds with the Birds leading 5-1 in the bottom of the fourth inning.
The Pelicans jumped out in front early over Carolina in the second inning when Tyler Durna slammed an RBI double before Wladimir Galindo banged an RBI single to make it 2-0.
After Carolina put up a run in the home half of the third on an RBI double by Brice Turang, the Pelicans added back on in the fourth.
Durna was hit by a pitch to open the fourth and Grant Fennell singled him to second. Two batters later, Jose Gutierrez singled home Durna to make it 3-1. After Carlos Sepulveda walked, Delvin Zinn hit into a fielder's choice that scored a run and another came across on a throwing error in the same play to give the Pelicans a 5-1 lead.
After Alexander Vargas recorded the first two outs of the bottom of the fourth, the players were cleared from the field due to rain with a 3-1 count on Henry.
That 5-1 score held through nine innings in the conclusion on Friday. Jesus Camargo (W, 3-2) earned the win for the Pelicans, throwing 3.1 scoreless innings of shutout baseball, allowing just two hits while striking out three. Manuel Rodriguez fired two scoreless innings, striking out six in relief.
Aaron Ashby (L, 2-5) took the loss for the Mudcats, allowing five runs, four earned, over his four innings of work.
In the second game, the Birds wasted no time again offensively, plating two runs in the top of the first inning with no outs. After Sepulveda led off the game with a walk, Gutierrez cracked a double to put runners at second and third. Durna and Cam Balego then both smacked RBI singles to give the Pelicans a 2-0 advantage.
In the third, the Mudcats showed their power against Javier Assad (L, 3-7) when Turang laced a solo home run to cut the Pelicans lead to 2-1.
Carolina took the lead in the fourth with an Eddie Silva two-run blast, making it a 3-2 game.
Nelson Hernandez (W, 10-6) earned the victory with his 5.1 innings while Rodrigo Beniot notched his 13th save of the season in the Mudcats victory.
The Pelicans return home next for a three-game series against the Salem Red Sox, starting with the first game of the series at 6:05 p.m. on Saturday. RHP Jeffrey Passantino (0-0, 0.00) will take the hill for the Pelicans against LHP Enmanuel De Jesus (6-6, 4.04) for the Mudcats. Television coverage begins at 6:00 p.m. on The CW21 and MiLB.tv. A radio broadcast starts at 5:45 p.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast and the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Apps.
Saturday will also be an Embrace Veterans Saturday presented by Embrace Hospice in addition to a Palmetto State Saturday. South Carolina fans receive $3 off of their game ticket by showing their local ID at the Anderson Brothers Bank Box Office, courtesy of Food Lion, Sparks Toyota, WMBF, The Sun News and NASH FM. The night will also include the Locals Dice Roll Extravaganza where, each Saturday, one local fan will have a chance to win up to $25,000 courtesy of HTC and Sparks Toyota and a Postgame Fireworks Extravaganza, presented by East Coast Pyrotechnics.
The 2019 season is the 21st season for the Pelicans franchise and fifth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
Images from this story
Wladimir Galindo swings away for the Myrtle Beach Pelicans
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Woodpeckers Split Thrilling Doubleheader with Nationals - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- P-Nats Split Wild Twin Bill with Woodpeckers - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Lose Lead Late in Loss to Red Sox - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Blue Rocks Take Series Opener 6-2 in Zebulon - Carolina Mudcats
- Stiever Dominant in Dash's Shutout Win over Wood Ducks - Winston-Salem Dash
- Bullpen Shuts Down Hillcats - Frederick Keys
- Cumberland Blast Leads Frederick Past Hillcats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Stiever's Sensational Start Leads Dash Past Woodies - Down East Wood Ducks
- Wilmington Tops Mudcats for Ninth Straight Time - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- July 20 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- July 20 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 20 vs. Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Turang and Silva Homer as Mudcats Split De Facto Doubleheader with Pelicans - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans Split Suspended Game, Seven-Inning Contest with Carolina - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Season Finale in Wilmington Cancelled
- Birds Take Game Three over Wilmington Behind Dominant Pitching
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: September 1 at Wilmington
- Pelicans Shutout by Blue Rocks on Saturday Night
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 31 at Wilmington