Steelheads Weekly - March 18, 2019
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (36-22-5) clinched a postseason berth but head into the final three games of their five-game road trip beginning on Tuesday.
Saturday, March 16 @ Orlando Solar Bears: 6-2 L
Shots: Steelheads 30, Solar Bears 35
PP: Steelheads 1-for-4, Solar Bears 1-for-2
The Steelheads were taken down in a 6-2 loss from Amway Center. The Solar Bears scored three goals in the first period and three more in the second period to spread the lead to 6-0. The Steelheads answered with a tally by forward Steve McParland (PP, 18:22 2nd) and another by forward Elgin Pearce (12:52 3rd) to cut into the lead, 6-2. However, the Steelheads couldn't add to the push in the loss. Tomas Sholl (21-11-0) stopped 29 of 35 shots in the loss.
Sunday, March 17 @ Orlando Solar Bears: 4-1 W
Shots: Steelheads 25, Solar Bears 37
PP: Steelheads 1-for-4, Solar Bears 0-for-5
The Steelheads utilized strong special teams play in a 4-1 win from RDV Sportsplex Ice Den. Forward Henrik Samuelsson (4:33 1st) notched the lone even-strength goal for the Steelheads to jump ahead 1-0. The first of two shorthanded goals on the evening was scored by forward Will Merchant (SH, 10:38 1st) before the lone Solar Bears goal brought the lead back to one, 2-1. Forward Elgin Pearce (SH, 5:49 2nd) added the second shorthanded tally, and forward Steve McParland (PP, 16:28 2nd) finished the scoring with his second power play goal of the weekend to secure the 4-1 win. Tomas Sholl (22-11-0) turned aside 36 of 37 shots in the win.
Tuesday, March 19 @ Orlando Solar Bears - 5:00 p.m. MT
Friday, March 22 @ Rapid City Rush - 7:05 p.m. MT
Saturday, March 23 @ Rapid City Rush - 7:05 p.m. MT
The Steelheads close their three-game series with the Orlando Solar Bears while also opening a five-game stretch with the Rapid City Rush to close that season series. The Steelheads won their first game in three attempts against the Solar Bears in their franchise history heading into the rubber match of this year's series. However, both losses came at Amway Center while the lone win was away from their main home facility. The Steelheads have played nine games so far against South Division opponents over the last two seasons, winning six of nine games with a 6-3-0-0 record including wins in three of four games this season.
The Steelheads have already claimed the season series against the Rush with five games remaining in the season series, winning nine of their 12 games this year with a 9-1-2 record. Most recently, the Steelheads broke a six-game winning streak with an overtime loss on February 16 but have points in seven-straight games since November 24 in the head-to-head series. The Steelheads have won 20 of their last 25 games against the Rush and own a 35-11-4 record in the franchise series.
$2 Beer Wednesday: Finish "Hump Day" and rally for the rest of the work week with $2 Beer Wednesday, presented by Bud Light. For just $2, enjoy Bud Light beer throughout the evening to continue Happy Hour. Call the Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for tickets and information.
Four For $48 Friday: Bring the family to enjoy a Steelheads home game every Friday night this season. For just $48, you'll receive four tickets, four fountain drinks, and four Double R Ranch hot dogs. Call the Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information.
- The Steelheads clinched a postseason berth for the 22nd-straight year, which continues the longest active streak in North American professional sports as well as the only team in professional sports with playoff appearances in every year of existence. In addition, the Steelheads set a new ECHL record for 16-straight playoff appearances.
- The Steelheads scored two shorthanded goals for the first time this season, which also breaks them into double-digits. Nine different players have combined for 11 shorthanded goals, which ranks eighth in the ECHL.
- Forward Steve McParland scored a pair of power play goals over the weekend helping the Steelheads to goals in four of five games on the power play as well as his fifth power play goal of the year. He sits tied for second on the team in that category and leads with 23 total goals and 49 points.
- Forward Elgin Pearce is on a three-game goal streak, scoring four goals in that span. He owns 13 points (7g, 6a) since February 15 (14 games) to lead the team in that stretch.
GOALS: 23 - Steve McParland
ASSISTS: 33 - A.J. White
POINTS: 49 - Steve McParland
PP GOALS: 9 - Reid Petryk
SH GOALS: 2 - Steve McParland/Kyle Schempp
GW GOALS: 5 - Brad McClure/Reid Petryk
PIMS: 279 - Kale Kessy
PLUS/MINUS: +29 - Keegan Kanzig
SHOTS: 219 - Steve McParland
WINS: 22 - Tomas Sholl
GAA: 2.27 - Tomas Sholl
SAVE %: .929 - Tomas Sholl
Mountain Division Standings:
1. Tulsa 36-21-4-2, 78 pts
2. Steelheads 36-22-3-2, 77 pts
3. Utah 33-21-4-4, 74 pts
4. Kansas City 32-24-3-2, 69 pts
5. Rapid City 26-30-5-3, 60 pts
6. Wichita 24-29-7-3, 58 pts
7. Allen 23-37-4-2, 52 pts
All road games during the 2018-19 regular season are broadcast on 1350AM KTIK "The Ticket" as well as ECHL.TV. Pre-game coverage begins 20 minutes before puck drop on 1350AM KTIK "The Ticket" and ECHL TV.
Tune in every Tuesday-Thursday from 6:00-7:00 p.m. to the Bud Light Idaho Steelheads Hockey Show, featuring Steelheads news, analysis and insight from around the ECHL.
The Steelheads finish their three-game series with the Orlando Solar Bears on Tuesday, Mar. 19 at 5:00 p.m. MT from Amway Center and return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Mar. 27 at 7:10 p.m. against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 18, 2019
- Grizzlies Add Tanner Nagel and Joey Ratelle to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - March 18 - ECHL
- Greg Chase Returned to Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Go 10 Straight for a Record - Toledo Walleye
- Mariners Weekly: Epic Shootout Highlights Weekend Split - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Can Clinch Playoffs with Win Monday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Bolster Ticket Sales Team with Addition of Dakota Procyk - Reading Royals
- Wings Weekly: Home Finale Coming up on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Komets Sweep Beast for Four Points; Wings Here Wednesday, Cyclones Blow into Town Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Weekly - March 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 23 (March 11-17, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - March 18 - Tulsa Oilers
- The Anthony Myers Movement Highlights Start of 5-Game Homestand - Reading Royals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Weekly - April 22, 2019
- Steelheads Clinch Series with 2-1 Overtime Win over Grizzlies
- Steelheads Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Complete Comeback in 5-4 Overtime Win in Game 4
- Steelheads Battle to 3-2 Overtime Win over Utah, Take Series Lead
- Steelheads to Host Free Watch Parties for Games in Utah at SportZone