Wings Weekly: Home Finale Coming up on Saturday Night
Kalamazoo, MI.- The home portion of the 2018-19 season concludes on Saturday evening as the K-Wings host the Wheeling Nailers for Fan Appreciation Night.
Fri., March 15 - Kalamazoo at Toledo, L, 4-3
Sat., March 16 - Kalamazoo at Cincinnati, L, 3-0
Sun., March 17 - Kalamazoo vs Toledo, W, 2-1
Wed., March 20 - Kalamazoo at Fort Wayne, 7:30 pm
Sat., March 23 - Kalamazoo vs Wheeling, 7:30 pm
Fan Appreciation Night:
Saturday night is the final home game of the season for the K-Wings as they host the Wheeling Nailers. In addition to the home finale festivities the K-Wings will welcome back former fan favorites Kory Karlander and Tyler Willis, and the Colonial Cup into the building. Fans will be able to take photos with the Cup, as well as get autographs from Karlander and Willis. During the game fans will be able to bid via silent auction on the special 45th Anniversary jerseys worn by the K-Wings during this season as well.
Green Ice Sellout:
Sunday's game was the third sellout of the season for the K-Wings as over 5,300 watched the K-Wings top the Walleye 2-1 on Green Ice. The sellout was the third of the season for the K-Wings, and the third consecutive year the green ice game was sold out.
Central Division Update:
The victory on Sunday afternoon gave the K-Wings a four point pad over Indy and Wheeling who are tied for fifth place in the conference. Cincinnati and Toledo hold the top two spots in the Division, while Fort Wayne holds onto to third place, three points ahead of Kalamazoo. The Komets have played two fewer games than the K-Wings so far this season. As of Monday afternoon the magic number (points needed to clinch a playoff spot) for the K-Wings sits at 15.
With nine games left in the regular season Kalamazoo will only play one of the final nine at home. Kalamazoo wraps up the home portion of the season on Saturday night, before beginning a season-long seven-game road trip that sees stops in Fort Wayne, Indy, Wheeling, Toledo, Wichita, and Tulsa. The K-Wings have had lots of success at home this season, posting a record of 19-13-1-2 at Wings Event Center. Comparatively the K-Wings are 13-14-1-0 away from home.
Matiss the Beast:
Matiss Kivlenieks recorded his third win in his last four starts on Sunday night as the K-Wings topped the Walleye 2-1. The two goals allowed by Kivlenieks marks the fourth consecutive game that the goaltender has allowed two or fewer goals, lowering his goals against average to 2.66. The netminder also topped 30 saves for the fourth consecutive game as well, stopping 33 of 34 shots. Kivlenieks is not 4-3-0-0 in seven games since being reassigned from Cleveland with a 2.66 and a .927 goals against average.
Central Division Standings:
1. Cincinnati, (45-10-4-3), 95 pts
2. Toledo, (35-19-5-3), 78 pts
3. Fort Wayne, (31-21-3-6), 71 pts
4. Kalamazoo, (32-27-2-2), 68 pts
5. Indy, (30-29-2-2), 64 pts
6. Wheeling, (28-27-6-2), 64 pts
1. Chris Collins, F, 27g, 33a-60 pts
2. Tanner Sorenson, F, 19g, 39a-58 pts
3. Kyle Blaney, F, 10g, 30a-40 pts
4. Kyle Bushee, D, 8g, 25a-33 pts
Kalamazoo Wings season tickets are for the 2019-2020 season are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com/seasontickets.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 18, 2019
- Grizzlies Add Tanner Nagel and Joey Ratelle to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - March 18 - ECHL
- Greg Chase Returned to Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Go 10 Straight for a Record - Toledo Walleye
- Mariners Weekly: Epic Shootout Highlights Weekend Split - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Can Clinch Playoffs with Win Monday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Bolster Ticket Sales Team with Addition of Dakota Procyk - Reading Royals
- Wings Weekly: Home Finale Coming up on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Komets Sweep Beast for Four Points; Wings Here Wednesday, Cyclones Blow into Town Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Weekly - March 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 23 (March 11-17, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - March 18 - Tulsa Oilers
- The Anthony Myers Movement Highlights Start of 5-Game Homestand - Reading Royals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.