Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - March 18
Oilers travel to Wichita for two games this weekend after clinching first playoff berth since 2014-15.
OVERALL RECORD: 36-21-6 (78 points, 1st in Mountain Division)
LAST WEEK: 2-0-0
Tuesday, Mar. 12 - Tulsa 4, Allen 0 (Allen Event Center - Allen, TX) | Box Score
>> The Tulsa Oilers finished their season series against the Allen Americans with a 4-0 shutout win Tuesday at the Allen Event Center. Ian McNulty sparked a three-goal second period when he put the Oilers on the board. Ryan Tesink added a goal right after a power play ended, and Charlie Sampair made it 3-0 just over three minutes later. Captain Adam Pleskach, playing in his 400th pro game, scored a late power play goal in the third period to complete the scoring as he tied Allen's Zach Pochiro atop the ECHL leaderboard with his 33rd goal. Ian Keserich stopped all 21 Americans shots to earn his first shutout of the season.
Saturday, Mar. 16 - Tulsa 6, Kansas City 2 (Silverstein Eye Centers Arena - Independence, MO) | Box Score
>> The Oilers fell behind 1-0 early Saturday in Independence, but tied things up when Charlie Sampair raced in on a short-handed breakaway and snapped a shot into the net. Kansas City went back in front 2-1 before the end of the first and carried that lead into the third. Stephen Perfetto tied the game late in a power play with 6:56 left in regulation, and Eric Drapluk put Tulsa ahead for good with 4:32 remaining when he ripped a shot into the top of the net on a 4-on-2 rush. Dylan Bredo gave the Oilers some insurance with 2:28 to play, and Roman Ammirao added an empty-net goal with 1:14 left on the clock to make it 5-2. Sampair scored his second of the game for good measure with 30 ticks up on the clock. With the win, the first place Oilers clinched a playoff berth for the first time since the 2014-15 season, with nine games remaining in the regular season.
THE WEEK AHEAD
Saturday, Mar. 23 - Tulsa AT Wichita, 7:05 p.m. - INTRUST Bank Arena (Wichita, KS)
Sunday, Mar. 24 - Tulsa AT Wichita, 4:05 p.m. - INTRUST Bank Arena (Wichita, KS)
- Charlie Sampair recorded his first career 5-point game (2g, 3a) Saturday in Kansas City.
- Stephen Perfetto has a 5-game point streak (2g, 8a).
- Ian Keserich's shutout Tuesday was his first since Nov. 10, 2012 and his first ECHL shutout since Jan. 9, 2009.
- The Oilers became the 3rd team in the ECHL to clinch a playoff spot Saturday, following Cincinnati and Florida.
- Saturday's third period comeback was the 2nd time Tulsa has scored 5 goals in a period this season.
- Tulsa is one win (37) and two points (80) away from tying a franchise-best mark since joining the ECHL.
POINTS: 63 - Adam Pleskach
GOALS: 33 - Adam Pleskach
ASSISTS: 36 - Jared Thomas
PLUS/MINUS: +21 - Steven Kaunisto
PIMS: 167 - Mike McKee
PP GOALS: 13 - Adam Pleskach
SH GOALS: 2 - Ryan Tesink, Jared Thomas
GW GOALS: 7 - Charlie Sampair
SHOTS: 277 - Adam Pleskach
WINS: 16 - Devin Williams
GAA: 1.75 - Ian Keserich
SAVE %: .934 - Ian Keserich
POWER PLAY: Overall - 40/281 (14.2%) - 23rd in the ECHL
Last Week - 2/12 (16.7%)
PENALTY KILL: Overall - 204/244 (83.6%) - 9th in the ECHL
Last Week - 6/6 (100%)
Adam Pleskach is tied for 1st in the ECHL with 33 goals, 4th with 63 points and tied for 1st with 13 power play goals... Charlie Sampair is tied for 2nd with 7 game-winning goals... Ryan Tesink is tied for 14th in points (57)... Devin Williams is 2nd in the ECHL in goals-against average (2.21)... Dylan Bredo is tied for 5th among league defensemen in assists (31) and tied for 9th in points (36)... Steven Kaunisto is 2nd among defensemen with 4 game-winning goals... Jared Thomas is tied for 3rd among rookies with 54 points and 2nd in assists (36).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 18, 2019
- Grizzlies Add Tanner Nagel and Joey Ratelle to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - March 18 - ECHL
- Greg Chase Returned to Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Go 10 Straight for a Record - Toledo Walleye
- Mariners Weekly: Epic Shootout Highlights Weekend Split - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Can Clinch Playoffs with Win Monday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Bolster Ticket Sales Team with Addition of Dakota Procyk - Reading Royals
- Wings Weekly: Home Finale Coming up on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Komets Sweep Beast for Four Points; Wings Here Wednesday, Cyclones Blow into Town Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Weekly - March 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 23 (March 11-17, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - March 18 - Tulsa Oilers
- The Anthony Myers Movement Highlights Start of 5-Game Homestand - Reading Royals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.