Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip
The Kansas City Mavericks played just two games last week, but gained ground towards clinching their first postseason appearance in two seasons with a 3-2 win over the Wichita Thunder on Friday, March 15th. The Mavericks had a chance to inch closer to the division's top spot with the first place Tulsa Oilers in town on Saturday, but a flurry of goals in the third period by the Oilers kept the Mavericks at arm's length and KC went on to lose 6-2. The Mavericks now hit the road for an eight-game road trip with the postseason within reach, starting this Tuesday in North Charleston, SC against the South Carolina Stingrays.
Last Week's Action
3/15: vs. WIC, 3-2 W
3/16: vs. TUL, 6-2 L
This Week's Schedule
3/19: @ South Carolina Stingrays
3/21: @ Greenville Swamp Rabbits
3/22: @ South Carolina Stingrays
3/23: @ Atlanta Gladiators
Mountain Division Standings:
1. x-Tulsa (36-21-4-2, 78 points)
2. x-Idaho (36-22-3-2. 77 points)
3. Utah (34-21-4-4, 74 points)
4. Kansas City (32-24-3-2, 69 points)
5. Rapid City (26-30-5-3, 60 points)
6. Wichita (24-29-7-3, 58 points)
7. Allen (23-37-4-2, 52 points)
*x-clinched playoff spot
Notes & Quotes
The Long Road Home
The Mavericks have hit the road for their longest road trip of the season, beginning Tuesday night in North Charleston, South Carolina against the South Carolina Stingrays. Over the course of the next two weeks, the Mavericks play eight games against the Stingrays, Greenville Swamp Rabbits, Atlanta Gladiators, Cincinnati Cyclones, Toledo Walleye, Fort Wayne Komets and Indy Fuel before returning home for their regular season home finale against the Tulsa Oilers on Tuesday, April 2.
Of the Mavericks final 11 regular season games, only one of them will be played at home. Tuesday, April 2 against the Tulsa Oilers is the Mavericks only remaining home date on the schedule.
Mavericks forward Greg Betzold took home Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week honors for his monster offensive week from March 4-10. Betzold scored five goals and assisted on four goals in three games en route to the Mavericks 2-0-0-1 week. Betzold also scored the game winner in the Mavericks 3-2 victory over the Wichita Thunder Friday night.
Leading From The Blue Line
Defenseman Willie Raskob tied with Toledo's Matt Register for the assists lead among all ECHL defensemen with 34 assists this year. Overall, he ranks fourth in points by defensemen in the league with 40 points on six goals and 34 assists.
The Mavericks announced two rookie signings this week. Forward Max Kalter from UCONN and Defenseman Nikolas Koberstein from the University of Alaska-Fairbanks.
Countdown To Clinching
The Mavericks are closing in on their first playoff berth in two seasons, and seventh playoff appearance in the franchise's 10-year history. The Mavericks need 76 points to clinch a playoff spot and eliminate Rapid City and Wichita from playoff contention. The Mavs currently have 69 points with 11 games remaining.
One to 100
Mavericks Head Coach John-Scott Dickson is closing in on 100 career wins as a head coach. In three seasons with the Mavericks, his record currently stands at 99-85-11-8.
The Mavericks now hit the road for an eight-game road trip starting Tuesday night against the South Carolina Stingrays in North Charleston, South Carolina. For more information, please visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 18, 2019
- Grizzlies Add Tanner Nagel and Joey Ratelle to Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- ECHL Transactions - March 18 - ECHL
- Greg Chase Returned to Mariners - Maine Mariners
- Walleye Go 10 Straight for a Record - Toledo Walleye
- Mariners Weekly: Epic Shootout Highlights Weekend Split - Maine Mariners
- Grizzlies Can Clinch Playoffs with Win Monday Night - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Bolster Ticket Sales Team with Addition of Dakota Procyk - Reading Royals
- Wings Weekly: Home Finale Coming up on Saturday Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Komets Sweep Beast for Four Points; Wings Here Wednesday, Cyclones Blow into Town Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Weekly - March 18, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 23 (March 11-17, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip - Kansas City Mavericks
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - March 18 - Tulsa Oilers
- The Anthony Myers Movement Highlights Start of 5-Game Homestand - Reading Royals
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.