Stars Streak Snapped at Five Games
The Lincoln Stars (10-4-1) had their five-game winning streak snapped on Friday night, falling to the Fargo Force 4-2 at the Ice Box.
Yu Sato opened the scoring 2:20 into the first period, jamming the puck past Louden Hogg from the near-side goal line. Gleb Veremyev started the offensive chance with a power move from the far side and had his initial chance stopped by Hogg. Sato followed up and poked it home for his second goal of the season and first since September 23rd. Carter Schade registered the secondary assist.
Sato doubled Lincoln's lead with his second of the night at 9:32, this time finishing a pass from Veremyev after an excellent effort from Luc Laylin. Laylin entered the offensive zone 1-on-4, absorbed a hit and kept the puck along the wing before tapping it ahead to Veremyev, who hit a streaking Sato with a cross-ice pass. The Saitama, Japan native finished off the chance, giving the Stars a 2-0 lead.
After the first set of 20 minutes, Lincoln led by two and outshot Fargo 15-7.
Bryan Huggins notched his first USHL goal at 4:50, cutting the Stars lead in half. Cole Knuble tied the game at two goals apiece with a power-play marker at 11:26. Lincoln only mustered four shots in the second period and headed into the third period tied 2-2.
Knuble broke the tie at 5:58 and Bret Link added an empty netter in the last half-minute of regulation to cap off four unanswered goals from the visitors.
Kaidan Mbereko made 22 saves on 25 shots while Hogg stopped 25 of 27. Lincoln's power play was 0-for-2 Friday and their penalty kill was 1-for-2.
Fargo snapped an 0-6-2 stretch with the win Friday and they also snapped Lincoln's five-game winning streak.
The Stars remain second in the Western Conference and will take on the Sioux Falls Stampede next Friday at Denny Sanford Premier Center in South Dakota.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from November 20, 2021
- Brown Big on Both Ends - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Muskegon Sweeps Weekend Series with Dubuque - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Gamblers Fall in Return to Resch Center - Green Bay Gamblers
- Braccini, Larson Score a Pair, Lumberjacks Sweep Dubuque in 6-3 Win - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stampede Stop Skid, Blank Fargo at Home - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Force Fall to Stampede 1-0 - Fargo Force
- USHL Update on the Omaha Lancers - USHL
- Storm Set to Complete Homestand against Buccaneers - Tri-City Storm
- Force Snap Stars Winning Streak - Fargo Force
- Stars Streak Snapped at Five Games - Lincoln Stars
- Tri-City Increases Win Streak to Seven Games - Tri-City Storm
- Caps Comeback Falls Short in Weekend Opener with Youngstown - Madison Capitols
- Steel Defeat Cedar Rapids with Last-Minute Goal - Chicago Steel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.