Stars Finalize Opening Night Roster
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake City Stars, the NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, have finalized the team's roster and coaching staff for the start of the 2019-20 season, which marks their fourth campaign in Salt Lake City.
The team is comprised of 12 players, highlighted by Utah Jazz two-way players Jarrell Brantley and Justin Wright-Foreman. To complete the opening night roster, the Stars waived guard Kyle Castlin. The Stars' full roster is attached.
Head Coach Martin Schiller, who returns for his third season at the helm, will head a staff that includes returning assistants Nathan Peavy and Lowell Egan, as well as new assistant coach / director of player development Corey Hawkins. Hawkins joins the Stars after spending the 2018-19 season as a basketball operations intern with the Greensboro Swarm, the NBA G League affiliate of the Charlotte Hornets.
Hawkins played professionally for three years, owning NBA G League experience with the Sioux Falls Skyforce and Idaho Stampede, and stints overseas in Belgium, Italy and Latvia. The Charlotte, N.C., native played three collegiate seasons at UC Davis (2012-15) and one at Arizona State (2010-11). Hawkins is the son of 13-year NBA veteran Hersey Hawkins.
Juan Torres returns as director of sports performance, while Jamal Cort joins the Stars as medical services coordinator. Cort previously held athletic training positions with the New York Knicks and Minnesota Vikings. He was born in Georgetown, Guyana, and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y. Cort earned his Master of Science in athletic training from Daemen College in Buffalo, N.Y., and Doctor of Physical Therapy from the University of St. Augustine in Miami, Fla.
"Our staff is a collection of diverse, dedicated and passionate individuals who are committed to developing our players, both on and off the court," said Bart Taylor, general manager of the Salt Lake City Stars and director of scouting for the Utah Jazz. "We're looking forward to building on the foundation we have established over the last three years in Salt Lake City and continuing to find ways to help the Jazz achieve their ultimate goals."
Former Stars Assistant Coach Bryan Bailey has been promoted to an assistant coach with the Jazz on Quin Snyder's staff. Jordan Harding, former assistant athletic trainer / strength and conditioning coach for the Stars, has been promoted to the parent club, serving as performance coordinator for the Jazz. Shawn James, who spent last season with the Stars as a basketball operations assistant, also earned a promotion to the Jazz as a pro personnel scout.
The Stars will begin the 2019-20 campaign on the road this Sunday, Nov. 10 against Sioux Falls at 2 p.m. (MT). The team will host their home opener on Friday, Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. (MT) vs. Rio Grande Valley at Bruin Arena on the campus of Salt Lake Community College in Taylorsville. Tickets for the home opener are still available at slcstars.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 8, 2019
- Vipers Steal Opening Night from Spurs - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Martin, Skyforce Silence Wolves in Season Opener - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Hustle Hold off Legends for Season Opening Win - Memphis Hustle
- Dragan Bender Scores 20 Points, But Herd Drops Season-Opener to Windy City - Wisconsin Herd
- A Tale of Turnovers: Memphis Takes Game One - Texas Legends
- Skyforce Escape Wolves on Opening Night - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Begin Season with Impressive Road Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Gain Control Early to Beat Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Legends Announce 24 Charity Jersey Nights - Texas Legends
- Vipers to Host Austin Spurs for Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Finalize Opening Night Roster - Salt Lake City Stars
- College Park Skyhawks Announce Opening Night Roster - College Park Skyhawks
- Legends to Open Online Trading Academy Club November 9th - Texas Legends
- Canton Charge to Borrow Old Cavs' Court - Canton Charge
- Complete 2019-20 Windy City Bulls Home Schedule to Air on NBC Sports Chicago - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs to Host 15th Anniversary Celebration Tonight - Austin Spurs
- Peachtree TV Announced as the Broadcast Home of the College Park Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Milwaukee Bucks Assign Dragan Bender to Wisconsin Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Knicks Finalize 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Westchester Knicks
- Wolves Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Iowa Wolves
- Stockton Kings to Debut the Interactive Thrive Zone, Presented by Kaiser Permanente - Stockton Kings
- NBA G League Embarks on 19th Season with Record 28 Teams - G League
- Win the Moment 2.0: on the Identity of the New-Look Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Nuggets Assign Vlatko Cancar to Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Greensboro Swarm Announce Opening Night Roster and Coaching Staff Additions - Greensboro Swarm
- Charlotte Hornets Assign Jalen McDaniels to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.