NBA G League Embarks on 19th Season with Record 28 Teams
November 8, 2019 - NBA G League (G League) News Release
NEW YORK - The NBA G League tips off its 19th season today with eight games. Below are some highlights and numbers pertaining to the 2019-20 NBA G League season.
Players and Teams
- 28 - A record 28 teams will compete this year, more than triple the number that played during the inaugural season in 2001-02 (eight).
- 40 - 40 NBA players have already been assigned to the NBA G League this season.
- 3 - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers have won three NBA G League championships (2010, 2013, 2019), the most by any team in league history.
- 1 - The College Park Skyhawks, owned and operated by the Atlanta Hawks, will play its first NBA G League season in 2019-20.
NBA G League Alumni in the NBA
- 208 - A record 208 players with NBA G League experience were on 2019-20 NBA opening-night rosters.
- 42 - A record 42% of players (208 of 496) on start-of-season NBA rosters, including those under NBA two-way contracts, have NBA G League experience. The previous record was 40% in 2018-19 (198 of 494).
- 18 - Eighteen NBA teams had at least seven NBA G League veterans on their opening-night rosters.
- 10 - The LA Clippers, Philadelphia 76ers and Toronto Raptors led the NBA with 10 NBA G League players on their opening-night rosters.
- 4 - Four NBA teams feature head coaches with NBA G League coaching experience: the Memphis Grizzlies (Taylor Jenkins), Sacramento Kings (Luke Walton), Toronto (Nick Nurse) and the Utah Jazz (Quin Snyder).
Around the League
- 1.6 Million -The NBA G League last season surpassed 1.6 million in total attendance for the second straight year. This marked the 10th straight year that total attendance exceeded 1 million fans.
- 41 - ESPNU and NBA TV combined to present 41 games for the second straight season, including regular-season, playoffs and Finals action.
- 50 - Each NBA G League team will play a 50-game schedule that concludes in March 2019.
- 16 - The 16th MGM Resorts NBA G League Winter Showcase will be played in Las Vegas from Dec. 19-22. The league's premier in-season scouting event, featuring 28 regular-season games, will introduce a tournament format and a $100,000 prize for players on the winning team.
- 6.0 - Teams will average a record-low 6.0 back-to-backs this season, a 9.1% reduction from 6.6 per team last season.
- 80 - 56 of the 70 NBA referees (80%) this season have worked in the NBA G League, including four from the 2018-19 season, who were hired full-time to the NBA this season.
- 40 - 25 of the 63 NBA G League officials (40%) are women.
- 4 - Four of the 63 NBA G League officials are from outside of the United States (Mexico: 2, Canada: 2).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 8, 2019
- Vipers Steal Opening Night from Spurs - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Martin, Skyforce Silence Wolves in Season Opener - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Hustle Hold off Legends for Season Opening Win - Memphis Hustle
- Dragan Bender Scores 20 Points, But Herd Drops Season-Opener to Windy City - Wisconsin Herd
- A Tale of Turnovers: Memphis Takes Game One - Texas Legends
- Skyforce Escape Wolves on Opening Night - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Begin Season with Impressive Road Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Gain Control Early to Beat Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Legends Announce 24 Charity Jersey Nights - Texas Legends
- Vipers to Host Austin Spurs for Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Finalize Opening Night Roster - Salt Lake City Stars
- College Park Skyhawks Announce Opening Night Roster - College Park Skyhawks
- Legends to Open Online Trading Academy Club November 9th - Texas Legends
- Canton Charge to Borrow Old Cavs' Court - Canton Charge
- Complete 2019-20 Windy City Bulls Home Schedule to Air on NBC Sports Chicago - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs to Host 15th Anniversary Celebration Tonight - Austin Spurs
- Peachtree TV Announced as the Broadcast Home of the College Park Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Milwaukee Bucks Assign Dragan Bender to Wisconsin Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Knicks Finalize 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Westchester Knicks
- Wolves Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Iowa Wolves
- Stockton Kings to Debut the Interactive Thrive Zone, Presented by Kaiser Permanente - Stockton Kings
- NBA G League Embarks on 19th Season with Record 28 Teams - G League
- Win the Moment 2.0: on the Identity of the New-Look Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Nuggets Assign Vlatko Cancar to Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Greensboro Swarm Announce Opening Night Roster and Coaching Staff Additions - Greensboro Swarm
- Charlotte Hornets Assign Jalen McDaniels to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.