Vipers Steal Opening Night from Spurs
AUSTIN, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (1-0) defeated the Austin Spurs (0-1) to open the 2019-20 season, 120-112. Houston Rockets assignee, Isaiah Hartenstein, racked up a team high of 25 points and 21 rebounds.
Austin led for most of the game but RGV slowly crept up on the Spurs in the fourth quarter. Before the final whistle, Angel Rodriguez hit a dagger from the paint to excel the lead for the Vipers.
Hartenstein earned a double-double and added five assists shooting 50.0 percent from the field. Rockets assignee, Gary Clark, drained five threes totaling 27 points and added nine rebounds, three assists and four steals.
Rodriguez finished with 25 points along with six rebounds, seven assists, two steals and two blocks. He also shot 52.9 percent from the field. Jacobi Boykins racked up 20 points shooting 5-for-9 from beyond the arc. Roger Moute a Bidias also hit the double-digits with 11 points adding four rebounds and two steals.
The Spurs had six players with double figures tonight. A team high of 25 points from San Antonio Spurs assignee, Keldon Johnson, while adding eight rebounds, three assists, two steals and shooting 84.6 percent from the field. Spurs assignee, Luka Samanic, hit a double-double for Austin with 13 points and 10 rebounds contributing three assists.
The RGV Vipers will host Austin Spurs tomorrow, November 9 at 7:30 p.m. CT at Bert Ogden Arena. The first 1,000 fans will receive a replica championship ring when doors open. Prior to tip-off, the ring ceremony will commence, followed by the third championship banner reveal.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 8, 2019
- Vipers Steal Opening Night from Spurs - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Martin, Skyforce Silence Wolves in Season Opener - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Hustle Hold off Legends for Season Opening Win - Memphis Hustle
- Dragan Bender Scores 20 Points, But Herd Drops Season-Opener to Windy City - Wisconsin Herd
- A Tale of Turnovers: Memphis Takes Game One - Texas Legends
- Skyforce Escape Wolves on Opening Night - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Begin Season with Impressive Road Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Gain Control Early to Beat Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Legends Announce 24 Charity Jersey Nights - Texas Legends
- Vipers to Host Austin Spurs for Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Finalize Opening Night Roster - Salt Lake City Stars
- College Park Skyhawks Announce Opening Night Roster - College Park Skyhawks
- Legends to Open Online Trading Academy Club November 9th - Texas Legends
- Canton Charge to Borrow Old Cavs' Court - Canton Charge
- Complete 2019-20 Windy City Bulls Home Schedule to Air on NBC Sports Chicago - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs to Host 15th Anniversary Celebration Tonight - Austin Spurs
- Peachtree TV Announced as the Broadcast Home of the College Park Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Milwaukee Bucks Assign Dragan Bender to Wisconsin Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Knicks Finalize 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Westchester Knicks
- Wolves Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Iowa Wolves
- Stockton Kings to Debut the Interactive Thrive Zone, Presented by Kaiser Permanente - Stockton Kings
- NBA G League Embarks on 19th Season with Record 28 Teams - G League
- Win the Moment 2.0: on the Identity of the New-Look Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Nuggets Assign Vlatko Cancar to Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Greensboro Swarm Announce Opening Night Roster and Coaching Staff Additions - Greensboro Swarm
- Charlotte Hornets Assign Jalen McDaniels to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Ray Spalding Earns Gatorade Call-Up
- Comeback Win Extends Winning Streak for Vipers
- Vipers to Host "I Am" Camp
- Frazier's 32-Points Lead Vipers to Road Win against Kings
- Vipers Fall in OT to Spurs