Martin, Skyforce Silence Wolves in Season Opener
DES MOINES, IA - Jeremiah Martin (30 points and 10 assists) turned in a stellar debut performance as the Sioux Falls Skyforce (1-0) cruised past the Iowa Wolves (0-1) on the road. Sioux Falls led nearly the entire game before fending off a late Iowa surge, ending with a 128-122 victory.
Martin wasn't the only one to have a strong performance in his Skyforce debut. Mychal Mulder (26 points, eight rebounds and four assists) scored 15 points in the first quarter alone to put Sioux Falls on top 33-26 after the first 12 minutes. From there, the visitors never looked back.
Leading by as many as 14 points, the Skyforce relied on a balanced offensive attack throughout the game. Davon Reed (24 points, six assists and six rebounds) stuffed the stat sheet alongside rookie Kyle Alexander (10 points, 14 rebounds and eight blocks) who finished just shy of a triple-double on the night. Alexander's eight blocks were the most by a Skyforce player in a single game since Jimmie Taylor tallied eight blocks against the Reno Bighorns on December 20, 2017.
Minnesota Timberwolves assignee Keita Bates-Diop (22 points and seven rebounds) paced the offensive attack for the Wolves while Lindell Wigginton (23 points, seven assists and six rebounds) tallied a team-high point-total off the bench in the loss. Timberwolves assignee Naz Reid (19 points, 11 rebounds and four assists) posted the Wolves' only double-double in the contest.
Skyforce veterans Bubu Palo (12 points and four assists) and Marcus Lee (14 points, 7-10 FG) led a reserve unit that scored 34 points on the night for Sioux Falls.
The Force were able to edge the Wolves in nearly ever statistical category on the night, highlighted by a 62-44 margin in points scored in the paint. Sioux Falls shot 51.7 percent to Iowa's 40.0 percent on the night and finished with a 51-45 edge in the rebounding column. The Skyforce shot over 50 percent and tallied over 50 rebounds on just one occasion during the 2018-19 season.
Sioux Falls returns home to take on the Salt Lake City Stars (0-0) on Sunday, November 10 at 3:00 PM CT at the Sanford Pentagon in what will be the team's home opener.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 8, 2019
- Vipers Steal Opening Night from Spurs - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Martin, Skyforce Silence Wolves in Season Opener - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Hustle Hold off Legends for Season Opening Win - Memphis Hustle
- Dragan Bender Scores 20 Points, But Herd Drops Season-Opener to Windy City - Wisconsin Herd
- A Tale of Turnovers: Memphis Takes Game One - Texas Legends
- Skyforce Escape Wolves on Opening Night - Iowa Wolves
- Drive Begin Season with Impressive Road Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Magic Gain Control Early to Beat Mad Ants - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Legends Announce 24 Charity Jersey Nights - Texas Legends
- Vipers to Host Austin Spurs for Home Opener - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Finalize Opening Night Roster - Salt Lake City Stars
- College Park Skyhawks Announce Opening Night Roster - College Park Skyhawks
- Legends to Open Online Trading Academy Club November 9th - Texas Legends
- Canton Charge to Borrow Old Cavs' Court - Canton Charge
- Complete 2019-20 Windy City Bulls Home Schedule to Air on NBC Sports Chicago - Windy City Bulls
- Austin Spurs to Host 15th Anniversary Celebration Tonight - Austin Spurs
- Peachtree TV Announced as the Broadcast Home of the College Park Skyhawks - College Park Skyhawks
- Milwaukee Bucks Assign Dragan Bender to Wisconsin Herd - Wisconsin Herd
- Knicks Finalize 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Westchester Knicks
- Wolves Announce 2019-20 Opening Night Roster - Iowa Wolves
- Stockton Kings to Debut the Interactive Thrive Zone, Presented by Kaiser Permanente - Stockton Kings
- NBA G League Embarks on 19th Season with Record 28 Teams - G League
- Win the Moment 2.0: on the Identity of the New-Look Raptors 905 - Raptors 905
- Nuggets Assign Vlatko Cancar to Erie BayHawks - Erie BayHawks
- Greensboro Swarm Announce Opening Night Roster and Coaching Staff Additions - Greensboro Swarm
- Charlotte Hornets Assign Jalen McDaniels to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Skyforce Stories
- Skyforce Statement on NBA G League Suspension
- Jack Guides Force to Fourth-Straight Home Victory
- Skyforce Stays Hot at Home, Cruises to 125-102 Victory over Warriors
- Skyforce Acquires Angel Delgado
- Skyforce Acquires Returning Player Rights to Ray McCallum from Agua Caliente