Special Teams Big in Brahmas' 4-3 Win over Allen
ALLEN, Texas (March 17) - The Brahmas (36-19-8) closed out the regular-season series with the Allen Americans with a 4-3 victory Sunday afternoon, due in large part to four special-teams scores.
After Adam Pineault gave Allen a 1-0 lead early in the first period, Austin Mayer notched his 13th goal of the season at 17:11. Mayer put home a rebound past Americans netminder Aaron Dell for the Brahmas' first power-play goal of the game.
Mike Montgomery gave Allen a 2-1 lead heading into the first intermission as he put a wrister from slot past Fort Worth goaltender Brad Fogal at the 19:36 mark.
Fort Worth evened the score at 9:12 of the second period as Sy Nutkevitch broke out behind the Allen defense and slid the puck between Dell's legs for the Brahmas' third shorthanded goal in the last three games. For Nutkevitch, the goal was 13th of the season and the first shorthanded score of his pro career.
The Brahmas cashed in on another power play and took their first lead of the game at 18:05 of the middle frame when Phil Fox fired a slap shot from the left face-off circle into the top-right corner of the net. The score was Fox's 21st of the season and first in his last five games.
Fort Worth extended its lead to 4-2 with its third power-play goal of the game at 8:27 of the third period. Just seven seconds after a Trevor Ludwig interference minor, Calin Wild deflected a shot in front of the net that bounced past Dell's right pad and into the net. For Wild, the goal was his first game-winner this season.
Todd Robinson added a goal for Allen at 16:53, but the Brahmas hung on late for the 4-3 victory.
Fogal stopped 38 of 41 shots between the posts for Fort Worth, earning his 15th win of the season. The Sharon, Onatrio native matched a personal and team season high with 38 saves, equaling his effort October 27 also versus the Allen Americans.
Dell made 17 saves on 21 shots faced in net for the Americans.
The Brahmas dominated the special teams battle, going 3-for-6 on the power-play and notching their third shorthanded score in the last three games. Allen went 0-for-8 on the man advantage.
The team is now tied for second place with the Wichita Thunder, just three points behind the first-place Americans.
Fort Worth closes out the regular season with three games versus the Arizona Sundogs at Tim's Toyota Center in Prescott Valley. The Brahmas are 5-3-0 versus the Sundogs this season.
The Brahmas are one of four teams to have already clinched a post-season berth. For information on playoff ticket packages, please contact a Brahmas sales representative at 817-336-4423 or visit www.brahmas.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2013
- Americans Lose Tight One to Fort Worth - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats One Point Away from Playoffs with 7-1 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Special Teams Big in Brahmas' 4-3 Win over Allen - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Blaze Playoff Hopes Dim in Loss to Cutthroats - Bloomington Blaze
- Murray, Mallards Blank Missouri 6-0; Magic Number Shrinks to One - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Blanked by Mallards, 6-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspension - CHL
- Americans vs Brahmas Today - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Drop Game to Thunder in Shootout, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Bootland's Goal in Overtime Lifts Allen to 4-3 Win at NYTEX - Allen Americans
- Thunder Gut out Shootout Win in Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Steal 4-3 Shootout Win from Oilers - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Earn Single Point in Shootout Loss to Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Brahmas Fall to Americans in Overtime - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Earn Playoff Berth in 3-1 Win over Mallards - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.