Mavericks Earn Playoff Berth in 3-1 Win over Mallards
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks (32-23-6) earned a fourth straight playoff berth Saturday night with a 3-1 win over the Quad City Mallards at Independence Events Center. Missouri won their third straight game and goaltender Mike Clemente stopped 31 of 32 shots in his CHL-leading 24th win of the season. Missouri cooled down the Mallards who had won six of their last seven games including the last two games between the two teams. Forwards Kenton Miller, Brandon Smith and Sebastien Thinel all had goals for the Mavericks who will head to the Quad Cities Sunday for a rematch at 4:05 p.m.
Mavericks' playoff tickets will go on sale to the general public this Thursday, March 21 at 10 a.m. through all Ticketmaster outlets and at the Silverstein Eye Centers Box Office. Playoff schedules are to be determined and only playoff games A, B and C of the first round will go on sale. Visit www.MissouriMavericks.com for up-to-date information as it is released.
The Mavericks controlled throughout the game and took a 3-0 lead through the first 25:41. Kenton Miller opened the scoring when he took a centering feed from Colt King and he wristed a shot past Mallards goaltender Neil Conway. His goal came at the 15:54 mark of the first period, and Brandon Smith made it 2-0 just 1:45 later. Smith toe-dragged around a defender and beat Conway with a backhand to give Missouri a two-goal lead.
Thinel made it 3-0 on his team-leading 27th goal of the season and Eric Meland earned his first professional point on an assist.
Missouri held the lead until the final six minutes of regulation when Matt Duffy one-timed a shot past Clemente and ended the Mavericks goaltender's bid at a shutout.
The Mavericks head to the road for a game on Sunday in Quad City at 4:05 p.m. Missouri has just one more regular season game remaining in the 2012-13 season. Missouri will host Tulsa on Friday, March 22 at Independence Events Center. Tickets are on sale through Ticketmaster or at the Silverstein Eye Centers Box Office.
Season tickets for the 2013-14 season are on sale now by calling the Mavericks' front office at (816) 252-7825. For more information on the Mavericks visit www.MissouriMavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2013
- Americans Lose Tight One to Fort Worth - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats One Point Away from Playoffs with 7-1 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Special Teams Big in Brahmas' 4-3 Win over Allen - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Blaze Playoff Hopes Dim in Loss to Cutthroats - Bloomington Blaze
- Murray, Mallards Blank Missouri 6-0; Magic Number Shrinks to One - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Blanked by Mallards, 6-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspension - CHL
- Americans vs Brahmas Today - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Drop Game to Thunder in Shootout, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Bootland's Goal in Overtime Lifts Allen to 4-3 Win at NYTEX - Allen Americans
- Thunder Gut out Shootout Win in Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Steal 4-3 Shootout Win from Oilers - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Earn Single Point in Shootout Loss to Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Brahmas Fall to Americans in Overtime - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Earn Playoff Berth in 3-1 Win over Mallards - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- KC Comeback Falls Short at Tulsa
- Gameday Report - Mavericks at Oilers
- Mavericks to Return to Mountain Division in 2018-19
- Mavs Monday: Week 23
- Mavs Fall in OT at Idaho, 3-2