Murray, Mallards Blank Missouri 6-0; Magic Number Shrinks to One
MOLINE, Ill. (March 17, 2013) - John Murray made 35 saves and Patrik Levesque scored two goals and added an assist as the host Quad City Mallards blanked the Missouri Mavericks 6-0 Sunday. With the win, the Mallards reduced their magic number for clinching a Central Hockey League playoff spot to one (the Mallards will lock up a postseason berth with the next point they pick up or the next time the ninth place Bloomington Blaze loses in regulation, overtime or a shootout), moved into a sixth place tie with the Denver Cutthroats, reached 30 victories on the year and improved to a season-best four games over .500 (30-26-6, 66 points).
The Mallards took control by scoring twice in 54 seconds in the second period. Matt Boyd deflected Shayne Toporowski's blast home to give Quad City a 2-0 lead at the five minute mark of the second. Mere moments later, Mike Hellyer charged down the slot and backhanded the third Mallard goal past Maverick goaltender Mike Clemente. At the other end, Murray was at his busiest in the second period, turning aside 15 Missouri shots in the middle frame.
The Mallards scored three third period goals- two of which were provided by Levesque- to pull away. Levesque tipped in the fourth Mallard goal at 6:24 of the third and snapped in his second and the team's fifth from the left wing circle at 13:33. Obi Aduba capped off the win by scoring from the doorstep with just over two minutes remaining.
The Mallards first jumped in front when Mickey Lang buried Levesque's centering pass from point blank range at 6:59 of the first period and never looked back.
The Mallards return to action at home Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. against Denver. Just in time for the onset of March Madness, Tuesday will feature $1 Nacho Madness- nacho baskets will be available for just $1 at i wireless Center concession stands. Tuesday night is also a $2 Tuesday- fans attending the game will be able to purchase $2 soft drinks and beers.
Tickets for Tuesday night's game- as well as seats for all remaining Mallards regular season home games- can be purchased in person at the i wireless Center ticket office, at Ticketmaster outlets, through www.ticketmaster.com or through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000. The ticket office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and on game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2013
- Americans Lose Tight One to Fort Worth - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats One Point Away from Playoffs with 7-1 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Special Teams Big in Brahmas' 4-3 Win over Allen - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Blaze Playoff Hopes Dim in Loss to Cutthroats - Bloomington Blaze
- Murray, Mallards Blank Missouri 6-0; Magic Number Shrinks to One - Quad City Mallards
- Mavericks Blanked by Mallards, 6-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Central Hockey League Announces Suspension - CHL
- Americans vs Brahmas Today - Allen Americans
- Sundogs Drop Game to Thunder in Shootout, 4-3 - Arizona Sundogs
- Bootland's Goal in Overtime Lifts Allen to 4-3 Win at NYTEX - Allen Americans
- Thunder Gut out Shootout Win in Arizona - Wichita Thunder
- Rush Steal 4-3 Shootout Win from Oilers - Rapid City Rush
- Oilers Earn Single Point in Shootout Loss to Rush - Tulsa Oilers
- Brahmas Fall to Americans in Overtime - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mavericks Earn Playoff Berth in 3-1 Win over Mallards - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings