Sound Tigers 3, Bruins 2.
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers (19-15-4-2), proud AHL affiliate of the New York Islanders, received goals from Casey Bailey, Josh Ho-Sang and Kyle Schempp on Saturday and held on to a narrow lead down the stretch, earning a 3-2 win against the Providence Bruins (23-13-3-1) at Webster Bank Arena.
With the victory, the Sound Tigers extended their unbeaten in regulation streak at home to seven games (5-0-1-1) and improved to 5-1-0-0 against Providence this season. It was the fifth time in Bridgeport's last six games that an outcome has been decided by just one tally.
Between the pipes, Christopher Gibson (15-8-2) made 25 saves on 27 shots and improved to 4-0-0-0 against the Bruins this season. He is also 7-2-2 over his last 11 starts and now tied for fifth in the AHL with 15 wins.
6c1eae3f05de3026661cc BOX SCORE
Ho-Sang put the Sound Tigers on the board first just 5:11 into the opening frame when he netted his fifth goal of the season. After he swiped the puck away from Jakob Zboril at the Sound Tigers' blue line, Ho-Sang quickly turned on the jets and skated the other way to set up a partial breakaway. He made a quick move at the doorstep and slipped the puck around the outstretched reach of Jordan Binnington to make it 1-0.
Bridgeport doubled its lead less than four minutes into the second period when Kyle Burroughs guided a wrist shot that bounced off a defenseman in front and fell right to Schempp's stick. The rookie forward flipped a quick shot past Binnington from the top of the crease that trickled in just over the goal line. It was Schempp's second goal of the season.
Providence responded at 11:52 of the middle frame when Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson put the Bruins on the board with a power-play tally. With St. Denis in the box serving a slashing penalty, Forsbacka Karlsson blasted a wrist shot from between the circles that went top shelf on Gibson to make it 2-1.
The Sound Tigers quickly took advantage of a tripping penalty to Anders Bjork less than three minutes later to regain their two-goal lead. Parker Wotherspoon forced a pass to the top of the slot where Ho-Sang flubbed a slap shot, but the puck floated into traffic and Bailey deflected the hovering puck into the twine for his 10th goal of the season, and his fifth on the power play. Ho-Sang also capped a multi-point effort with an assist.
A resilient Providence club battled back and came within a goal at 8:01 of the final period when Colby Cave scored on a one-time shot. Former Sound Tigers forward Justin Hickman skated towards the back of Gibson's net and sent a centering pass to Cave, who banged it home for his fourth goal of the year.
The Bruins pulled Binnington for the extra attacker in the final minute of play, but could not even the contest.
The Sound Tigers outshot the Bruins 30-27 and finished the game 1-for-3 on the power play, while also going 5-for-6 on the penalty kill. Binnington (10-4-1) made 27 saves in his third straight loss for Providence.
About the Bridgeport Sound Tigers: Founded in 2001, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Hockey Club is the top minor league affiliate of the New York Islanders. Don't miss your chance to take part in the family fun entertainment happening every home game at Webster Bank Arena.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Taylor and Tiffels Reassigned to Penguins from Nailers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Sign Adam Comrie to AHL Contract - Utica Comets
- Winnipeg Jets RECALL LEMIEUX FROM THE MOOSE - Manitoba Moose
- McINTYRE NAMED CCM/AHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Zane McIntyre Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- BLUE JACKETS TRADE DEFENSEMAN JOHN RAMAGE TO ARIZONA COYOTES - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Release Chris Langkow from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'CANES ASSIGN McKEOWN TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- D Travis Sanheim Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 1, - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PENGUINS FALL IN OVERTIME TO WOLF PACK, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Set Franchise Record with 10th Consecutive Home Win - Chicago Wolves
- FORSLING ASSIGNED TO ICEHOGS - Rockford IceHogs
- MONSTERS FALL IN CHICAGO, 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-BRUINS WIN 2-0 BEHIND McINTYRE's SECOND SHUTOUT - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Fall in Overtime to Checkers - Rochester Americans
- TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING RECALL MATTHEW PECA, MICHAEL BOURNIVAL FROM SYRACUSE CRUNCH - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Joe Hicketts - Grand Rapids Griffins
- HOGS FIGHT BACK BUT COME UP SHORT AGAINST GRIFFINS. - Rockford IceHogs
- PIRRI, TYNAN HELP WOLVES BASTE BAKERSFIELD - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Knock Down IceHogs, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Texas 5 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Falls to Tucson in Overtime 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Under the Stars in Outdoor Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Moves into Second Place with 5-3 Win against Milwaukee - Iowa Wild
- Gust Scores in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- COMETS TOP LINE PROPELS UTICA TO VICTORY. - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers 3, Bruins 2. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Speed by Checkers with 4-1 Win. - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Come up Short in Bridgeport, Fall to Sound Tigers 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 4-2. - Syracuse Crunch
- HURRICANES RECALL McKEOWN FROM CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Brandon Halverson, Defenseman Sergey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blue Jackets Recall Markus Hannikainen, Dean - Cleveland Monsters
- Defenseman Anton Cederholm Reassigned to Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- San Diego 2 vs. San Jose 3 - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Score Three Early, Win 5-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Falls to Bakersfield 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Recap: Texas 4 at Manitoba 0. - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Earns Point Behind Ville Husso's 53 Saves in 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Drop Monsters with Three-Goal Third - Rockford IceHogs
- Bear Wins It in Overtime for Condors, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Utica Comets 2 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Lose to Marlies, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Late Goal by Cross Gives P-Bruins 1-0 Win over Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Clipped by IceHogs on Home Ice, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- RECAP: Penguins' Win Streak Halted in 1-0 Loss at Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Comeback Falls Short in Overtime - Utica Comets
- IceHogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on January 24 - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.