Iowa Moves into Second Place with 5-3 Win against Milwaukee
DES MOINES, IOWA - Iowa Wild (19-13-7-3; 48 points) defeated Milwaukee Admirals (21-16-4-0; 46 pts.) 5-3 at Wells Fargo Arena Saturday night in front of 11,302 fans, moving into second place in the Central Division with the victory.
In the win, Wild forwards Landon Ferraro and Cal O'Reilly each recorded a four-point game, tying the most points in a contest in franchise history. Ferraro took part in the first four scores for the Wild, beginning with a goal at 9:07 in the first period. Driving to the net, Ferraro redirected a shot from winger Sam Anas past Admirals goaltender Anders Lindback (23 saves) for the tally. Defenseman Zach Palmquist also earned an assist on the goal and the Wild took a 1-0 lead.
Milwaukee answered with a goal from forward Trevor Mingoia at 10:45 in the opening frame. Mingoia caught a cross-ice pass from forward Jimmy Oligny and beat Niklas Svedberg (28 saves) to draw the Admirals even with the Wild at 1-1. The Admirals made it 2-1 on a short-handed, breakaway goal from forward Harry Zolnierczyk at 12:18 in the first period. Zolnierczyk burst past the Wild defense, went forehand-backhand against Svedberg and put the puck into the back of the net. At the end of the first period, Milwaukee held a 2-1 goal advantage and a 10-9 shot advantage.
Wild forward Cal O'Reilly registered his first of four consecutive points with a redirection goal at 5:22 in the second period. Ferraro sent a pass to defenseman Alex Grant, who fired a slap pass towards O'Reilly. O'Reilly, in the high slot, deflected the shot past Lindback to make it 2-2.
Iowa regained the lead at 17:18 in the second stanza with Ferraro's second goal of the game. Breaking in on a 2-on-1, Ferraro received a pass from forward Christoph Bertschy and went in on Lindback alone. Ferraro chipped the puck into the top right corner and gave the Wild the 3-2 lead. O'Reilly recorded the secondary assist.
Defenseman Brennan Menell recorded the Wild's third goal of the period and fourth of the game with 45 seconds left in the second. Menell corralled a puck in the slot and rifled it on net, going top-shelf for his sixth goal of the season and the 4-2 lead. Both Ferraro and O'Reilly earned assists on the play, their fourth and third points of the night, respectively.
After 40 minutes of play, the Wild led 4-2, while the Admirals had a 23-22 shot lead.
Milwaukee forward Bobby Butler cut Iowa's lead to 4-3 with a goal at 4:13 in the third period. On the power play, Butler had space at the top of the left circle, firing a wrist shot on net, recording his 20th goal of the season. Iowa brought its lead back to two goals when Grant scored at 10:27 in the final frame. O'Reilly, from behind the net, sent a pass to Grant, who one-timed the pass from the right dot and registered his eighth goal of the season, giving the Wild a 5-3 lead.
When the final buzzer sounded, the Wild earned the 5-3 victory. Ferraro and O'Reilly both recorded four-point nights. Ferraro's game was his third multi-point night and first four-point contest this season. O'Reilly's was his second four-point night and his ninth multi-point game of the season. Grant also registered a multi-point effort, his third of the season.
The Wild returns to action against Cleveland Monsters Thursday, Jan. 25 at Quicken Loans Arena. Puck drop is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. CT.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Taylor and Tiffels Reassigned to Penguins from Nailers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Sign Adam Comrie to AHL Contract - Utica Comets
- Winnipeg Jets RECALL LEMIEUX FROM THE MOOSE - Manitoba Moose
- McINTYRE NAMED CCM/AHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Zane McIntyre Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- BLUE JACKETS TRADE DEFENSEMAN JOHN RAMAGE TO ARIZONA COYOTES - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Release Chris Langkow from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'CANES ASSIGN McKEOWN TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- D Travis Sanheim Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 1, - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PENGUINS FALL IN OVERTIME TO WOLF PACK, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Set Franchise Record with 10th Consecutive Home Win - Chicago Wolves
- FORSLING ASSIGNED TO ICEHOGS - Rockford IceHogs
- MONSTERS FALL IN CHICAGO, 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-BRUINS WIN 2-0 BEHIND McINTYRE's SECOND SHUTOUT - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Fall in Overtime to Checkers - Rochester Americans
- TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING RECALL MATTHEW PECA, MICHAEL BOURNIVAL FROM SYRACUSE CRUNCH - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Joe Hicketts - Grand Rapids Griffins
- HOGS FIGHT BACK BUT COME UP SHORT AGAINST GRIFFINS. - Rockford IceHogs
- PIRRI, TYNAN HELP WOLVES BASTE BAKERSFIELD - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Knock Down IceHogs, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Texas 5 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Falls to Tucson in Overtime 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Under the Stars in Outdoor Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Moves into Second Place with 5-3 Win against Milwaukee - Iowa Wild
- Gust Scores in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- COMETS TOP LINE PROPELS UTICA TO VICTORY. - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers 3, Bruins 2. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Speed by Checkers with 4-1 Win. - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Come up Short in Bridgeport, Fall to Sound Tigers 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 4-2. - Syracuse Crunch
- HURRICANES RECALL McKEOWN FROM CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Brandon Halverson, Defenseman Sergey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blue Jackets Recall Markus Hannikainen, Dean - Cleveland Monsters
- Defenseman Anton Cederholm Reassigned to Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- San Diego 2 vs. San Jose 3 - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Score Three Early, Win 5-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Falls to Bakersfield 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Recap: Texas 4 at Manitoba 0. - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Earns Point Behind Ville Husso's 53 Saves in 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Drop Monsters with Three-Goal Third - Rockford IceHogs
- Bear Wins It in Overtime for Condors, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Utica Comets 2 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Lose to Marlies, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Late Goal by Cross Gives P-Bruins 1-0 Win over Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Clipped by IceHogs on Home Ice, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- RECAP: Penguins' Win Streak Halted in 1-0 Loss at Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Comeback Falls Short in Overtime - Utica Comets
- IceHogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on January 24 - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.