PENGUINS FALL IN OVERTIME TO WOLF PACK, 1-0
HARTFORD, Conn. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins were handed a 1-0 loss in overtime courtesy of the Hartford Wolf Pack despite throwing 43 shots on goal on Sunday evening at XL Center.
Rookie goaltender Alexandar Georgiev stunned Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (24-11-3-1) by turning aside all 43 shots he faced. At the other side of the ice, Anthony Peters put together another strong effort between the pipes, making 21 saves in regulation to help the Penguins secure a point in the standings.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton came out quickly and peppered Georgiev with 21 shots in the opening frame, the most the team has generated in one period all season long. Somehow, none of those 21 bids found a hole to get through. Conversely, the Penguins' defense held the Wolf Pack to only three shots through the first 20 minutes.
One of the Penguins' finest scoring chances came when Ryan Haggerty came in on a breakaway at 6:27 of the second period, but hit the post. It was one of four times in the course of the game that Wilkes-Barre/Scranton struck iron.
The third period turned into a wide open, back-and-forth affair with Georgiev and Peters trading save after save. Neither side could conjure a game winner in regulation which took the contest to overtime.
Hartford's Vince Pedrie notched the only goal of the night coming off of a shot that snuck underneath Peters' pads at 2:25 of the extra frame.
The Penguins' loss comes two nights after suffering a 1-0 defeat in Providence, marking the first time that Wilkes-Barre/Scranton has suffered shutouts in back-to-back games since Dec. 26 and 27, 2014.
The Penguins' next game is Wednesday, Jan. 24, when they take on the Hershey Bears at Giant Center. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next home game is Saturday, Jan. 27 against the Binghamton Devils. Puck drop between the Penguins and Devils is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Taylor and Tiffels Reassigned to Penguins from Nailers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Sign Adam Comrie to AHL Contract - Utica Comets
- Winnipeg Jets RECALL LEMIEUX FROM THE MOOSE - Manitoba Moose
- McINTYRE NAMED CCM/AHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Zane McIntyre Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- BLUE JACKETS TRADE DEFENSEMAN JOHN RAMAGE TO ARIZONA COYOTES - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Release Chris Langkow from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'CANES ASSIGN McKEOWN TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- D Travis Sanheim Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 1, - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PENGUINS FALL IN OVERTIME TO WOLF PACK, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Set Franchise Record with 10th Consecutive Home Win - Chicago Wolves
- FORSLING ASSIGNED TO ICEHOGS - Rockford IceHogs
- MONSTERS FALL IN CHICAGO, 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-BRUINS WIN 2-0 BEHIND McINTYRE's SECOND SHUTOUT - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Fall in Overtime to Checkers - Rochester Americans
- TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING RECALL MATTHEW PECA, MICHAEL BOURNIVAL FROM SYRACUSE CRUNCH - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Joe Hicketts - Grand Rapids Griffins
- HOGS FIGHT BACK BUT COME UP SHORT AGAINST GRIFFINS. - Rockford IceHogs
- PIRRI, TYNAN HELP WOLVES BASTE BAKERSFIELD - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Knock Down IceHogs, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Texas 5 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Falls to Tucson in Overtime 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Under the Stars in Outdoor Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Moves into Second Place with 5-3 Win against Milwaukee - Iowa Wild
- Gust Scores in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- COMETS TOP LINE PROPELS UTICA TO VICTORY. - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers 3, Bruins 2. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Speed by Checkers with 4-1 Win. - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Come up Short in Bridgeport, Fall to Sound Tigers 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 4-2. - Syracuse Crunch
- HURRICANES RECALL McKEOWN FROM CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Brandon Halverson, Defenseman Sergey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blue Jackets Recall Markus Hannikainen, Dean - Cleveland Monsters
- Defenseman Anton Cederholm Reassigned to Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- San Diego 2 vs. San Jose 3 - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Score Three Early, Win 5-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Falls to Bakersfield 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Recap: Texas 4 at Manitoba 0. - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Earns Point Behind Ville Husso's 53 Saves in 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Drop Monsters with Three-Goal Third - Rockford IceHogs
- Bear Wins It in Overtime for Condors, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Utica Comets 2 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Lose to Marlies, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Late Goal by Cross Gives P-Bruins 1-0 Win over Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Clipped by IceHogs on Home Ice, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- RECAP: Penguins' Win Streak Halted in 1-0 Loss at Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Comeback Falls Short in Overtime - Utica Comets
- IceHogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on January 24 - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.