Iowa Falls to Bakersfield 4-3 in Overtime
DES MOINES, IOWA - Iowa Wild (18-13-7-3; 46 points) lost in overtime to Bakersfield Condors (17-14-7-0; 41 pts.) 4-3 at Wells Fargo Arena Friday night, in the first-ever meeting between the two teams.
With the Wild celebrating Military Appreciation Night during the game, the game puck was delivered by Officer Candidate Brandon Donoho of the Iowa National Guard. Iowa opened the scoring with a goal by Justin Kloos at 10:01 in the first period.
After sustained offensive zone pressure, Kloos worked his way into the high slot and ripped a wrist shot on net. Condors goaltender Laurent Brossoit (21 saves) had the puck deflect off his blocker and into the back of the net. Wild defensemen Ryan Murphy and Carson Soucy earned assists on the play, which gave the Wild a 1-0 lead. Wild forward Zack Mitchell extended his goal streak to three games when he poked a puck past Brossoit less than three minutes after Kloos's goal. Wild defenseman Nick Seeler took a slap shot from the point after receiving a pass from forward Pat Cannone and sitting on the doorstep, Mitchell doubled Iowa's lead to 2-0.
At the end of the first period, the Wild held a 2-0 lead on the scoreboard and a 11-5 shot advantage. During the first intermission, Adjutant General of Iowa, Major General Timothy Orr conducted an enlistment ceremony for the Iowa National Guard.
Forward Brad Malone notched Bakersfield's first goal at 11:24 in the second period. Malone deflected a shot from defenseman Keegan Lowe and a failed clear by the Iowa defense led to forward Zach O'Brien finding Malone all alone at the back door for the tap-in. Bakersfield tied the game at 2-2 85 seconds later on an own goal by the Wild. From behind the net, forward Joe Gambardella threw the puck to the front of the net, which bounced off Wild forward Sam Anas's stick and past goaltender Steve Michalek (23 saves).
Iowa regained the lead thanks to forward Christoph Bertschy's eighth goal of the season. Defenseman Alex Grant unleashed a slap shot from the blue line and Bertschy deflected the puck, causing it to skip off the ice, off Brossoit and into the back of the net for the 3-2 lead. Also earning an assist on the goal was Cannone, his second of the game.
After two periods, Iowa led 3-2 and held a 16-14 shot advantage.
The Condors tied it up once again at 14:43 in the final stanza. Bakersfield forward Braden Christoffer took a shot from the top of the circles and beat Michalek five-hole to bring the game even at 3-3. With no goals following Christoffer's score, the teams headed to overtime, with Bakersfield owning a 25-23 shot advantage.
In the extra frame, Bakersfield defenseman Ethan Bear earned the extra point for the Condors, putting the puck past Michalek's blocker at 2:16 in overtime for the 4-3 victory.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 22, 2018
- Taylor and Tiffels Reassigned to Penguins from Nailers - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Sign Adam Comrie to AHL Contract - Utica Comets
- Winnipeg Jets RECALL LEMIEUX FROM THE MOOSE - Manitoba Moose
- McINTYRE NAMED CCM/AHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Providence Bruins
- Providence's Zane McIntyre Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- BLUE JACKETS TRADE DEFENSEMAN JOHN RAMAGE TO ARIZONA COYOTES - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolf Pack Release Chris Langkow from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- 'CANES ASSIGN McKEOWN TO CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- D Travis Sanheim Loaned to Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 1, - Hartford Wolf Pack
- PENGUINS FALL IN OVERTIME TO WOLF PACK, 1-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Set Franchise Record with 10th Consecutive Home Win - Chicago Wolves
- FORSLING ASSIGNED TO ICEHOGS - Rockford IceHogs
- MONSTERS FALL IN CHICAGO, 3-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-BRUINS WIN 2-0 BEHIND McINTYRE's SECOND SHUTOUT - Providence Bruins
- Amerks Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Fall in Overtime to Checkers - Rochester Americans
- TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING RECALL MATTHEW PECA, MICHAEL BOURNIVAL FROM SYRACUSE CRUNCH - Syracuse Crunch
- Red Wings Recall Joe Hicketts - Grand Rapids Griffins
- HOGS FIGHT BACK BUT COME UP SHORT AGAINST GRIFFINS. - Rockford IceHogs
- PIRRI, TYNAN HELP WOLVES BASTE BAKERSFIELD - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Knock Down IceHogs, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Texas 5 at Manitoba 1 - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Falls to Tucson in Overtime 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Win Under the Stars in Outdoor Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Moves into Second Place with 5-3 Win against Milwaukee - Iowa Wild
- Gust Scores in Condors Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- COMETS TOP LINE PROPELS UTICA TO VICTORY. - Utica Comets
- Sound Tigers 3, Bruins 2. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Amerks Speed by Checkers with 4-1 Win. - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Come up Short in Bridgeport, Fall to Sound Tigers 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- CRUNCH FALL TO COMETS, 4-2. - Syracuse Crunch
- HURRICANES RECALL McKEOWN FROM CHARLOTTE - Charlotte Checkers
- Manitoba Moose Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Goaltender Brandon Halverson, Defenseman Sergey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Blue Jackets Recall Markus Hannikainen, Dean - Cleveland Monsters
- Defenseman Anton Cederholm Reassigned to Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- San Diego 2 vs. San Jose 3 - San Diego Gulls
- Griffins Score Three Early, Win 5-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Iowa Falls to Bakersfield 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Recap: Texas 4 at Manitoba 0. - Manitoba Moose
- San Antonio Earns Point Behind Ville Husso's 53 Saves in 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Drop Monsters with Three-Goal Third - Rockford IceHogs
- Bear Wins It in Overtime for Condors, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Utica Comets 2 (OT) - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Lose to Marlies, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Late Goal by Cross Gives P-Bruins 1-0 Win over Penguins - Providence Bruins
- Monsters Clipped by IceHogs on Home Ice, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- RECAP: Penguins' Win Streak Halted in 1-0 Loss at Providence - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Comeback Falls Short in Overtime - Utica Comets
- IceHogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on January 24 - Rockford IceHogs
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.