Somerset Dominates York in Series-Finale
York, Pennsylvania - The Somerset Patriots (32-22) put on a dominant performance to top the York Revolution (25-32) 12-4 Sunday afternoon at PeoplesBank Park.
Somerset struck first for a pair of runs in the top of the first inning. An RBI groundout from Edwin Espinal put the first run on the board before Dario Pizzano added a two-strike, two-out RBI single later in the frame.
Pizza later increased the Patriots lead 3-0 with a sacrifice fly in the third inning.
Two more unearned runs scored for Somerset in the top of the fourth inning. After Craig Massey drew a lead-off walk, he advanced to second on an errant pick-off attempt and later scored on a fielding error by the York third baseman Henry Castillo. Justin Pacchioli added an RBI single three batters later to put the Patriots ahead 5-0.
Meanwhile, Somerset starting pitcher David Kubiak (W, 7-1) put on a show. The right-hander tossed seven shutout innings, yielding just two hits while striking out a season-high 13 batters. He faced just three batters over the minimum and struck out at least two batters in five different innings.
The 13 strikeouts were the most thrown by an Atlantic League pitcher in a single game this season, and fell just three shy of a team record.
The Patriots added six runs in the eighth inning for good measure on two separate three-run home runs from Michael Crouse (5) and Ramon Flores (3). James Skelton (4) lined a two-run home run in the bottom of the eighth to provide the only two runs for Revs.
Duke von Schamann (L, 1-2) suffered the loss after yielding five runs (one earned) over five innings.
The 2019 Somerset Patriots Season presented by Ford will continue on the road until Friday, June 28th when the team returns to TD Bank Ballpark for a 7:05 pm game against the Long Island Ducks. For tickets, stop by the box office located at TD Bank Ballpark, call (908) 252-0700, or visit www.somersetpatriots.com.
Images from this story
Somerset Patriots pitcher David Kubiak
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Kubiak Puts Kibosh on Revs' Plans for Sweep - York Revolution
- Weekend Pitching Clinic By The Bees Concludes With Series Sweep - New Britain Bees
- Ducks Blast Past Barnstormers to Earn Series Win - Long Island Ducks
- Southern Maryland Falls Just Short of Sweeping High Point - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Torrence Shines In Loss - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Somerset Dominates York in Series-Finale - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Somerset Patriots Stories
- Somerset Patriots Help Atlantic League Earn Designation as Partner League of Major League Baseball
- Patriots Win Seventh in a Row to Close out Series
- Scott Kelly Leads Patriots to 8-4 Win over Blasters
- Patriots Clinch Series with Win over Blasters
- Patriots Win Fourth in a Row over Blasters