Weekend Pitching Clinic By The Bees Concludes With Series Sweep
(New Britain, CT) - The New Britain Bees (30-26) defeated the Sugar Land Skeeters (31-27) 2-0 at New Britain Stadium on Sunday afternoon to complete a dominant three-game weekend series sweep of the reigning Atlantic League of Professional Baseball Champions. The Bees pitching staff allowed just one run in 27 innings pitched overall, striking out 23 batters while tallying an ERA of just 0.33.
New Britain starting pitcher Devin Burke (1-2) earned the victory after not allowing a run across seven innings of work on just five hits, walking two and striking out three. Sugar Land starting pitcher Matt Purke (2-2) was tagged with the loss, surrendering two runs on five hits across five innings pitched, striking out one. Jim Fuller shut the door in the top half of the ninth inning for his seventh save of the season and second in as many ballgames.
New Britain took an immediate 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first versus Purke thanks to three doubles in the frame against the right-hander, with the final two coming by way of the run-scoring variety from Alejandro De Aza and Taylor Motter. Ozzie Martinez began the two-base hit barrage and the rally itself with a two-base hit of his own to left centerfield with one man away. The fast start by the Bees would result in the only scoring on the day, as Burke stymied the Skeeters offense in very impressive fashion, recording his first quality start of 2019 in the process. The New Britain bullpen opened eyes once again on this Sunday Family Fun Day, with the dynamic duo of Tyler Danish and Fuller erasing six of the eight batters they faced, extending the scoreless streak of the Bees pitching staff to 19.1 consecutive innings overall. De Aza and Motter led the way with a pair of hits each.
The Bees return to New Britain Stadium on Monday, July 1st when they host the Liberty Division rival Somerset Patriots in the opener of a five-game series and eight-game homestand to close out the first half of the 2019 regular season schedule. First pitch is slated for 6:35 P.M. It will be another Martin Rosol Dollar Monday in the Hardware City, as the Bees will offer ONE DOLLAR FIELD BOX TICKETS AND ONE DOLLAR MARTIN ROSOL HOT DOGS to all guests!
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Kubiak Puts Kibosh on Revs' Plans for Sweep - York Revolution
- Weekend Pitching Clinic By The Bees Concludes With Series Sweep - New Britain Bees
- Ducks Blast Past Barnstormers to Earn Series Win - Long Island Ducks
- Southern Maryland Falls Just Short of Sweeping High Point - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Torrence Shines In Loss - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Somerset Dominates York in Series-Finale - Somerset Patriots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Bees Stories
- Skeeters Hand Bees Third Straight Loss With Late-Game Comeback
- Skeeters Sweep Bees In Hardware City Double-Dip
- Solid Pitching And Clutch Hitting Propel Bees Over Skeeters
- Blue Crabs Stymie Bees Bats To Take Series
- Blue Crabs Cool Off Bees By Holding Offense In Check