Solar Bears enjoying success on lenghty road trip
November 24, 2014 - ECHL (ECHL) News Release
The Orlando Solar Bears embarked on a 13-game, 25-day road trip two weeks ago in sixth place of the East Division and trailing first-place Florida by five points. The trip may prove to be a turning point in the Solar Bears' season, as Orlando has won seven of the first eight games, including all four games last week, to improve to 10-6-2 on the season and to within one point of the Everblades in the division standings.
The second week of Orlando's road trip began with a Tuesday morning game in Cincinnati where the Solar Bears skated away with a 5-3 win. Eric Baier scored a pair of goals while Greg Miller and Mike Ullrich each picked up two assists. Maxime Clermont recorded the win in goal, turning aside 38 Cyclones' shots.
On Wednesday, the Solar Bears picked up a 4-1 win in their first-ever meeting with the Indy Fuel. Ullrich had a pair of assists for the second straight game while Miller and Denver Manderson each had a goal and an assist and Jake Parenteau scored his first professional goal. Clermont was strong between the pipes again, stopping 21 of 22 shots.
Orlando traveled to South Carolina for a pair of games over the weekend, and started the two-game series with a 6-5 shootout win on Saturday. Five different Solar Bears scored during regulation with Ryan Rupert leading the way with a three-point effort (1g-2a), in addition to adding the deciding goal in the shootout.
The Solar Bears ended their busy week with a 2-0 victory over the Stingrays on Sunday. Miller and Rupert scored Orlando's goals and Kent Patterson recorded his first shutout of the season, stopping all 28 shots he faced.
Miller has been the key cog offensively for Orlando, as he is tied for the league lead with 20 points (11g-9a) while his 11 goals are tied for second overall. He enters this week on a 10-game point streak, over which he has tallied 17 points (9g-8a). Jacob Cepis has also had a hot hand for the Solar Bears as his 13 assists are tied for the league lead in that category. Manderson is also among the league leaders as his 17 points (6g-11a) have him tied for seventh.
The Solar Bears are in action three times this week, visiting Toledo on Friday, Fort Wayne on Saturday and Kalamazoo on Sunday. Orlando will play twice in Greenville next week before finally returning home on Dec. 9.
ECHL, CCM "Hats Off" Contest
ECHL Fans: Know another fan you'd like to take your "hat off" to? Tell us who, and why you say "Hats Off" to them - Those who enter will have the chance to win a CCM Hockey hat for themselves and their "Hats Off" recipient.
Visit the ECHL Facebook page for complete details and to submit your entry.
A look ahead
Games to watch in the ECHL during the week ahead. Watch ECHL games live on ECHL.TV.
Orlando at Toledo (Friday)
Orlando is 7-1-0 on its 13-game road trip, with the lone loss coming at Toledo on Nov. 15. The Walleye are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games and enter the week just one point behind Fort Wayne for first place in the North Division.
Ontario at Colorado (Wednesday, Friday and Saturday)
The Eagles are in second place of the Pacific Division, just two points ahead of the third-place Reign entering the week. Both teams enter the week among the league leaders in goals against, as Ontario leads the league allowing just 2.18 goals per game while Colorado is fourth at 2.69 goals-against per game.
- Josh Shalla leads Cincinnati with eight goals.
- The Cyclones are one of just two teams to not suffer a regulation loss on the road (3-0-1).
- Cincinnati hosts Evansville on Wednesday and is at Indy on Friday and Saturday.
- Myles Bell is tied for third among rookies with seven goals.
- Evansville is 6-1-1 when scoring three or more goals.
- The IceMen are at Cincinnati on Wednesday and Elmira on Friday and Saturday.
- Nathan Condon has four points (1g-3a) in his last three games.
- The Komets are 7-0-0 in one-goal games.
- Fort Wayne hosts Indy on Thursday, visit Kalamazoo on Friday and host Orlando on Saturday.
- Matt White is tied for the league lead with two shorthanded goals.
- Indy is the league's third-least penalized team with 12.86 penalty minutes per game.
- The Fuel are at Fort Wayne on Thursday and host Cincinnati on Friday and Saturday.
- Sacha Guimond is tied for third among defensemen with 12 points (1g-11a).
- The K-Wings' 10 power-play goals this season have been scored by 10 different players.
- Kalamazoo hosts Fort Wayne on Friday, Toledo on Saturday and Orlando on Sunday.
- Justin Mercier is on a six-game point streak (3g-6a).
- Toledo is 9-0-0 when scoring first.
- The Walleye host Orlando on Friday and are at Kalamazoo on Saturday.
- Riley Brace is tied for fourth in the league with 12 assists.
- The Nailers' attendance of 4,855 on Wednesday was the team's highest for a single game since March 31, 2012, and their five-game total is the highest start to the season since 2002-03.
- Wheeling hosts Greenville on Wednesday and Florida on Friday and Saturday.
- Sam Marotta leads rookie goaltenders with a 2.18 goals-against average.
- Elmira leads the league with seven home wins (7-2-1).
- The Jackals are at Reading on Wednesday and host Evansville on Friday and Saturday.
- Allen York has won eight straight starts.
- The Everblades lead the league with 24.79 shots-against per game.
- Florida travels to Wheeling on Friday and Saturday.
- Vinny Saponari is on a three-game goal streak (3g), matching his career-high.
- Greenville is 6-0-0 when scoring at least one power-play goal.
- The Road Warriors are at Wheeling on Wednesday and Reading on Friday and Saturday.
- Marshall Everson leads the league with a 40.0 percent shooting percentage (4-for-10).
- The Gladiators have scored 16 of their 35 goals in the second period.
- Gwinnett hosts South Carolina on Tuesday and Thursday and visits the Stingrays on Saturday and Sunday.
- Gleason Fournier is tied for second among defensemen with a 21.4 percent shooting percentage (3-for-14).
- Orlando has outscored its opponents 20-12 in the first period.
- The Solar Bears are at Toledo on Friday, Fort Wayne on Saturday and Kalamazoo on Sunday.
- Martin Ouellette is riding a four-game unbeaten streak (3-0-1).
- The Royals are seventh with 31.50 shots per game.
- Reading hosts Elmira on Wednesday and Greenville on Friday and Saturday.
- Joe Devin leads the Stingrays with five goals and 10 points.
- South Carolina is eighth with 28.06 shots-against per game.
- The Stingrays are at Gwinnett on Tuesday and Thursday and host the Gladiators on Saturday and Sunday.
- Justin Baker scored his first career goal in Friday's win over Brampton.
- The Americans have scored three or more goals in nine of their 11 games.
- Allen visits Tulsa on Tuesday and Thursday, Missouri on Wednesday and Wichita on Saturday.
- Chad Painchaud leads the Beast with 11 points (2g-9a).
- Brampton is second on the penalty kill on the road at 92.3 percent (12-for-13).
- The Beast are at Rapid City on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- Josh Brittain scored three goals in his first three games with Missouri.
- The Mavericks are 3-1-0 when outshooting their opponent.
- Missouri hosts Allen on Wednesday and Wichita on Friday and travels to Quad City on Saturday.
- Mario Lamoureux has 15 points (5g-10a) in 10 games in November.
- Quad City is unbeaten in its last nine games (5-0-4), the longest streak in the league this season.
- The Mallards are at Wichita on Wednesday and Tulsa on Friday and host Missouri on Saturday.
- Danny Battochio is tied for the league lead with two shutouts.
- The Rush have scored 19 of their 41 goals in the third period.
- Rapid City hosts Brampton on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- Jon Booras is tied for the league lead with 20 points (11g-9a).
- Tulsa is tied for the league lead with four shorthanded goals.
- The Oilers host Allen on Tuesday and Thursday and Quad City on Friday before visiting Wichita on Sunday.
- Tyler Bunz has assists in two straight games and earned his first shutout of the season on Saturday against Missouri.
- The Thunder have 30 or more shots in eight straight games.
- Wichita hosts Quad City on Wednesday, visits Missouri on Friday, and hosts Allen on Saturday and Tulsa on Sunday.
- Olivier Archambault is second among rookies with nine goals.
- Alaska leads the league with 35.67 shots per game.
- The Aces host Idaho on Friday and Saturday.
- Connor Jones has points in three straight games (2g-4a) and leads ECHL rookies with 17 points (6g-11a).
- The Condors are 6-0-0 when leading after two periods.
- Bakersfield visits Stockton on Wednesday and hosts Utah on Saturday.
- Collin Bowman is tied for the league lead in plus-minus at +11.
- Colorado is 7-0-0 when scoring first.
- The Eagles host Ontario on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- Alex Belzile has 10 points (5g-5a) and is +6 in nine games during November.
- The Steelheads are 10-0-0 when scoring at least three goals.
- Idaho is at Alaska on Friday and Saturday.
- Joe Cannata leads the league with 1.77 goals-against average.
- Ontario has outscored its opponents 25-8 in the second period.
- The Reign are at Colorado on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
- Peter Sivak scored his 150th career ECHL point in his 142nd career ECHL game on Saturday.
- The Thunder are second on the power play at 24.3 percent (17-for-70).
- Stockton hosts Bakersfield on Wednesday and Utah on Friday.
- Michael Pelech leads the Grizzlies with eight goals.
- Utah is 4-0-3 when scoring first.
- The Grizzlies are at Stockton on Friday and Bakersfield on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 24, 2014
- Radio Recon's Ready for a Net-Front Battle - Reading Royals
- Reading Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- Thunder Add Depth; Sign Duval - Wichita Thunder
- Jackals Weekly - Elmira Jackals
- The Game of the Year - Condors Teddy Bear Toss on Saturday - Bakersfield Condors
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- ECHL Transactions - November 24 - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- Road Stretch Continues in California, Home Next Monday - Utah Grizzlies
- Missouri Acquires Jack Downing from South Carolina - Kansas City Mavericks
- Allen Americans Weekly Update - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Receive Forward Brandon Hynes and Defenseman Guy Leboeuf from Missouri - South Carolina Stingrays
- Gladiators Pick up Three from the AHL - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL.TV Now Available on Android Devices - ECHL
- Fuel Weekly - Indy Fuel
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- Deck the Beast Halls for a Family in Need - Brampton Beast
- Solar Bears enjoying success on lenghty road trip - ECHL
- Austin Smith Loaned to Norfolk of the American Hockey League - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Weekly - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Komets Split Weekend Home Double-Header; Fuel Visit for Thanksgiving, Solar Bears Here Saturday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Frozen in Time-The Weekly IceMen Update - Evansville IceMen
- Walleye Weekly - Toledo Walleye
- Stingrays Weekly: Stingrays Celebrate Thanksgiving with the Gwinnett Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.