Sod Poodles Claim Texas League South First Half Campionship
Springdale, Arkansas - The Amarillo Sod Poodles won the Texas League South Division's First Half title on Monday night at Arvest Ballpark, beating the Northwest Arkansas Naturals 8-2 to secure a spot in the Texas League postseason in September.
Coming into the final day of the first half on Monday, the Soddies trailed the Midland RockHounds by a half game in the standings. Amarillo needed a win against the Naturals and a Springfield Cardinals' win over Midland to win the half. Both results transpired, as Springfield secured a 3-0 win over Midland.
After trailing 2-0 at the end of the third inning, Amarillo's offense erupted in the fourth against Northwest Arkansas starter Eric Skoglund. With two on-base, Brad Zunica laced a two-run triple to tie the game at 2-2. Moments later, Ruddy Giron brought in another run with a groundout as the Sod Poodles took a 3-2 lead.
From that point, Amarillo starter Lake Bachar settled down. Bachar ultimately pitched six innings and allowed just two runs in the third. He struck out four.
The Sod Poodles added on to the lead in the fifth. Edward Olivares hit an RBI single while Luis Torrens ripped an RBI double to make it a 5-2 ballgame.
In the seventh, Amarillo tacked on two more against the Naturals' bullpen. After a double play brought in a run, Kyle Overstreet hit a run-scoring single to make it 7-2. Overstreet would collect another RBI single in the ninth to extend the lead to 8-2.
After Bachar exited the game, the Sod Poodles' bullpen took over. Blake Rogers tossed a scoreless seventh while Evan Miller came on for the eighth in his Double-A debut and retired the side in order.
Right-hander David Bednar pitched a scoreless ninth inning to secure the victory and Texas League South First Half title.
The Sod Poodles begin the second half of the 2019 season on Tuesday night as their series continues at Northwest Arkansas. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Naturals Start Second Half with Win over Poodles - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Drillers Open Second Half with Win over Frisco - Tulsa Drillers
- 2nd Half Opens with Victory - Arkansas Travelers
- Stassi Impressive in Rehab as Hooks Fall to Arkansas - Corpus Christi Hooks
- A Rundown of Thursday's Phones-Free Hooks Game - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Riders Fans Help Set New World Record Friday - Frisco RoughRiders
- Sod Poodles Claim Texas League South First Half Campionship - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- FaGalde Dominant in Debut as Cards Close 1st Half with 3-0 Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Offense Struggles in Loss to Cardinals - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Sod Poodles Stories
- Sod Poodles Rally Back from Six-Run Deficit, Fall Late to Cardinals in 10-9 Hit Parade
- Sod Poodles Five-Game Win Streak Snapped with Cardinals 5-2 Win Wednesday
- Overstreet's Inside-The-Park Grand Slam Secures Sod Poodles Fifth Consecutive Victory
- Buddy's Big Day Fuels Sod Poodles Sweep
- Offense Strikes Early in Gore's Debut